Console Wars... Which Side Were You on Throughout the Different Video Game Generations?

Console Wars... Which Side Were You on Throughout the Different Video Game Generations?

• Total voters

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
I've been gaming since I was about 6 years old in the mid 80's when I got an Atari. There has always been competing consoles. Which ones do you find superior that you were around for? There are 7 generations listed, so the max number of choices is 7.

I only listed the consoles that were dominant throughout each generation, hence no DreamCast. I also didn't include the Wii because it was kind of it's own thing and graphically behind the PS3 and 360.

I've got.

Atari
NES
SNES (I had a Genesis, but the SNES was better)
N64
GameCube (I also had a PS2, but I played my GameCube way more)
Xbox one

Last edited:
Not sure what youre asking....but ill vote what i had.

I always sided with NES and SNES. They were superior.

Ive never owned an xbox.

I customize my pc every couple of years so i thought i wojldnt have to, but...god damn i wish i had the newer Gears and Halos. :(

Hmm, I guess I never picked sides after the genesis and sega cd.

KID YEARS

NES (Bro)
SNES (Me)
Saturn (Bro)
PS1 (Bro)
N64 (Me)
Dreamcast (Me)
Xbox (Me)

ADULT YEARS

PS2
Xbox 360
PS3
Gamecube
Wii (Bro)

MOST RECENT

Wii U
PS4

After all 3 of my Xbox 360's got the red ring, I got a PlayStation and never looked back.

Last edited:
Team TG-16.

I suppose I could have added that, but it was kind of obscure. There was never any place where you could rent games for it. A friend of mine had a Turbo Express Portable when we where kids. Splatter House was awesome!

upload_2017-5-20_21-8-34.jpeg

I can only remember two generations having "wars". The first was Genesis/SNES, and I was unfortunately on SEGA's side during that time. During the time, I didn't notice how misguided I was. I had Mortal Kombat uncensored, Sonic going fast was cool, and..and...yeah, that was about it. Looking at the sports titles today, I can say that the Genesis had the better versions, but at the time, I barely noticed, so I can't include those. Same with certain arcade ports. My allegiance was purely based on having a Genesis. That was it.

The second "war" was a little more complicated. The N64/PS1 war. I was with the Nintendo crowd on that one. I was influenced by a buddy at the time, who lived and breathed Nintendo. Swore up and down at how much better the N64 would be, and I bought into it. It had some damn good games. I had "Shadows Of The Empire" before I had the damn system, thanks to the N64 being sold out everywhere. Got my hands on it, and was satisfied...at first. Then I went to a friend's house, and he had a Playstation. I'll never forget the first time I saw the opening cut-scene to "Final Fantasy 7", and thought "why doesn't the N64 do that?". That's when I started really paying attention to all the magazines and reviews explaining the differences between the two, like "cartridge" vs "CD", and the data usage, and all that stuff. "Load times vs No load times", "CGI vs no CGI", and "Real music vs video game music". All that shit. It was a true console war, with vast differences between the two. Overall, I would give the nod to the PS1 though.

You had PS2/Gamecube/Xbox after that, but we all know who won that war.

After that, it was just about exclusive games. The 360 won out early, but then the PS3 evened the playing field. Nowadays, it's the same shit. Of course there's the minor technical arguments, but in my opinion, they're about equal, give or take. I think the PS4 is kicking the shit out of Xbone as far as software goes though.

I can only remember two generations having "wars". The first was Genesis/SNES, and I was unfortunately on SEGA's side during that time. During the time, I didn't notice how misguided I was. I had Mortal Kombat uncensored, Sonic going fast was cool, and..and...yeah, that was about it. Looking at the sports titles today, I can say that the Genesis had the better versions, but at the time, I barely noticed, so I can't include those. Same with certain arcade ports. My allegiance was purely based on having a Genesis. That was it.

The second "war" was a little more complicated. The N64/PS1 war. I was with the Nintendo crowd on that one. I was influenced by a buddy at the time, who lived and breathed Nintendo. Swore up and down at how much better the N64 would be, and I bought into it. It had some damn good games. I had "Shadows Of The Empire" before I had the damn system, thanks to the N64 being sold out everywhere. Got my hands on it, and was satisfied...at first. Then I went to a friend's house, and he had a Playstation. I'll never forget the first time I saw the opening cut-scene to "Final Fantasy 7", and thought "why doesn't the N64 do that?". That's when I started really paying attention to all the magazines and reviews explaining the differences between the two, like "cartridge" vs "CD", and the data usage, and all that stuff. "Load times vs No load times", "CGI vs no CGI", and "Real music vs video game music". All that shit. It was a true console war, with vast differences between the two. Overall, I would give the nod to the PS1 though.

You had PS2/Gamecube/Xbox after that, but we all know who won that war.

After that, it was just about exclusive games. The 360 won out early, but then the PS3 evened the playing field. Nowadays, it's the same shit. Of course there's the minor technical arguments, but in my opinion, they're about equal, give or take. I think the PS4 is kicking the shit out of Xbone as far as software goes though.

I felt the same way about the Genesis. I got it over the Snes because of NHLPA Hockey and Mortal Kombat. Greatest Heavyweights was cool and the Sega Channel was super awesome and ahead of it's time, but the SNES was the better system. I still like the N64 over the PS1 though.

I had friends that I would swap systems with too. I traded my Atari 2600 for a Colecovision, My Sega for an SNES and my N64 for a PS1 temporarily with friends when I was a kid/teen.

I still like the N64 over the PS1 though.

Interested to know why. It was damn close, but what set it apart for me was the single player games, and that Playstation was creating more "mature" games. Not just in blood and gore, but in the sense that it had games like FF7, RE2, and MGS, that seemed to really bring a true evolution to video games. They had games that seemed to bridge the gap video games were always shooting for, as far as playing a true cinematic experience goes. Even when I was younger, I noticed that the Playstation was making more strides in that regard.

I actually might even give the nod to the N64 as far as pure video game essence goes, but I think Sony was a little more ahead of the curve, as far as innovation goes, and having games that would shape the climate we're currently in.

Interested to know why. It was damn close, but what set it apart for me was the single player games, and that Playstation was creating more "mature" games. Not just in blood and gore, but in the sense that it had games like FF7, RE2, and MGS, that seemed to really bring a true evolution to video games. They had games that seemed to bridge the gap video games were always shooting for, as far as playing a true cinematic experience goes. Even when I was younger, I noticed that the Playstation was making more strides in that regard.

I actually might even give the nod to the N64 as far as pure video game essence goes, but I think Sony was a little more ahead of the curve, as far as innovation goes, and having games that would shape the climate we're currently in.

Don't get me wrong the PS1 was sweet. Fighting Force,Tomb Raider, Grand Turismo, Cool Boarders 2, Tekken 2/3, and FF7 are some games that I remember spending time on back in the day.

I actually had RE 2 for my N64. And it turned out surprisingly well. I don't know how they were able to compress a 2 disc game onto a 64mb cartridge, but whatever they did it worked.

Plus the N64 AKI pro wrestling games, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Conker's, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Golden Eye were in my opinion better than what the Playstation had to offer.

I was in High School when the 64 came out and these were probably the Golden years as far as couch co-op games go. I do agree that the PS1 was probably better as far as 1 player games go, but for the style of gamer I am the 64 was better for me. I also think it has held up better as the years have past. I'll still play a few 64 games from time to time, but never fire up any PS1 games.

Last edited:
NES/SNES and then onto PS1. I owned an Xbox and PS2, but I liked the Xbox better. I flipped back to Sony since then, I guess, but I've had a gaming PC for over a decade and may never purchase another console. I haven't used my PS4 for anything other than SFV since February 2016.

Since PS1 onward I pretty much paid for my own consoles, so I bought the one that I thought I would like most if I didn't buy all of them. Nintendo lost me when I realized they were fixated on using proprietary tech (I don't buy Apple stuff either). When I read about the GameCube and learned the disc was pretty much just a tiny DvD I decide to quit them for good. I can't remember if, at the time, I was aware of one their reasons being to combat game piracy, but I don't think it would have changed my mind. I also haven't had a love of their first party stuff since Mario 3 and was never that into Metroid or Zelda. I think it would have been way harder to jump ship if I had the attachment to those series that so many gamers do.

no neo geo? i was one of the few and the proud that had one

NES and Playstation. I've been with Playstation from the very beginning and I don't intend on switching any time soon. NES was amazing but modern Nintendo is meh. XBOX is gay. So I'll be with Playstation until they stop making them.

64->PS2->360->PC

Actually, I think my Gamecube might have brought me more joy than my PS2. Maybe my XBox as well when you count Morrowind and Halo. What the fuck did I play on PS2? I guess FFX and a shit ton of Koei games.

SNES and Genesis - I can't say which I liked more. SNES did NOT always have the best versions...

PS1. The N64 didn't have enough games for me. I played the Saturn a lot more.

PS2
360 and PS3
PS4

NES(my father's) PS1, PS2, Xbox 360, PS4(sold), Xbox One.

Never bought a Nintendo console. Other than that I haven't really picked a side.

Ive never owned an xbox.

I customize my pc every couple of years so i thought i wojldnt have to, but...god damn i wish i had the newer Gears and Halos. :(

Gears 4 is on PC bro. You can even play cross play multiplayer with xbox players.

early days i never had a nintendo only sega,then got the 64,which i still have today. also had the ps1,never really liked it that much. when the ps2,xbox and gamecube came out i had all 3,but ended up selling the ps2 and gamecube. went straight to the 360 when that was realised and never bothered with the ps3. this cycle i got the ps4 first then after a year got the xbone,which i haven't turned on in over a year.

My dad got an NES set from Macy's in the late 80s. Then I asked for a Genesis a few years later because all my friends had one and the EA games/Sonic/uncensored MK. Then I got a PS1 in 97 because Saturn was all but dead and I watched my friend's older brother play FF7 and RE1. Got a DC in 2000 (mainly for Code Veronica) but then Sega killed it off 6 or so months later. Got a PS2 in 01 and bought a GC in 02 for the Resident Evil remake.

Back