Conservative commenter and CNN contributor Amanda Carpenter's incredulous tweet on Defense spending

What kind of resource do you get at $20/month that gives the same resources as Harvard had in 1995. If you are saying an internet connection you are wrong.

Remember that education is not just access to material but rather the quality of the educator. The kind in Harvard is crazy and these guys command relatively huge wages.
Harvard publishes their lectures, homework, exams, and many textbooks online for free too. You can watch videos of the best educators in the world in any subject for free. That hasn't helped lower performing schools one bit.

Harvard publishes their lectures, homework, exams, and many textbooks online for free too. You can watch videos of the best educators in the world in any subject for free.

Well you're wrong because education is not just reading a book or watching a powerpoint slide. I'll leave it at that.

Well you're wrong because education is not just reading a book or watching a powerpoint slide. I'll leave it at that.
Can you provide an example of school districts that were failing, increased their spending and then became highly successful (where the school's demographics didn't change)?

Because I can provide endless examples of school districts that were failing, increased their spending, and then were still failing.

Know how whenever Eastern Europe has a disagreement with Russia, their natural gas gets shut off? And then Eastern Europe shuts the fuck up and bends the knee?

Why doesn't that happen with ME oil pipelines to western Europe? Or every other natural resource?
If the MidEast can't sell their oil, what are they going to do? Each regime wants to keep the US on their side, to fight their tribal wars. So cutting off the oil isn't a good tactic. Then consider that MidEastern oil just isn't an important source since fracking became economically viable. And our largest source of crude is Canada.

$20/ month gets a school more resources than Harvard had in 1995. All knowledge from all human history, every academic journal article ever published, every book or news article ever written in any culture and any language, instant and free Star Trek universal translation, communication/ networking with billionaires and academic leaders, etc. All inner city schools have this. $10000000000000 couldn't have bought this in 1995. Their educational achievements are still the same they were in 1995.
Using the same reasoning, one could say that dam near every person in the US has access to the aforementioned information, so why isn't everyone an engineer or doctor or in some other high paying profession.

Last edited:
Know how whenever Eastern Europe has a disagreement with Russia, their natural gas gets shut off? And then Eastern Europe shuts the fuck up and bends the knee?

Why doesn't that happen with ME oil pipelines to western Europe? Or every other natural resource?

This like a pretty strained example. You're comparing Russia to the ME, as well as East v. West Europe, to basically make the same point he tried to. Do you not think we achieve the same result with a smaller, more efficient military?

It's 2018. No one gets 'threatened' by a military power anymore unless they're a third world country. Militaries are there to protect you from proxy conflicts cutting off your access to trade routes and natural resources being used as extortion against you.

The needs arise everyday. Europe just doesn't even recognize they exist because America handles their dirty work for them. Right now, Europe is a meat eater that protests against hunting. A person that eats $3/ lb chicken and protests against factory farming. If America abandoned that role then Europe would have to learn the hard way that certain things are evil but necessary.

Not really true. How much of the "need for america" is created by america itself? Interventionist policies the past 6 decades have made a lot of enemies. There wouldn´t be so much "dirty work" if the US didn´t create it.

There are certainly no problems Europe couldn´t handle themselves. This needing the US as muscle is a false narrative pushed by pro military Americans. Like I said, it has mainly been Europe assisting the US in stupid wars.
Europe also have to spend massively taking in all the refugees the US creates since they don´t put on their big boy pants and clean up after themselves.

Using reasoning, one could say that dam near every person in the US has access to the aforementioned information, so why isn't everyone an engineer or doctor or in some other high paying profession.

I just tapped out, it was too much for me. The obvious answer to his question is class size reductions which have considerable supporting evidence here and here and all over the place. It's also just common sense that some people are better at their jobs than others and this applies just as much to educators as it does anywhere else. That's why people pay small fortunes to be at Harvard, which in his model makes no sense at all because you could pay $20 and get the same deal.

It's just.. I dunno, it goes so far back to the most basics I had to tap out. I don't have the time or effort to defend something so elementary and so obvious. I'd find myself soon arguing the Heliocentric model or something...

Harvard publishes their lectures, homework, exams, and many textbooks online for free too. You can watch videos of the best educators in the world in any subject for free. That hasn't helped lower performing schools one bit.

Kids in good performing suburban schools aren't watching Harvard lectures. My nephew and nieces go to good middle schools and get As; and they aren't spending their time accessing Harvard or other higher ed. institutions. The only time they even visit a University or College website is for source material , for assigned school coursework.

Kids in good performing suburban schools aren't watching Harvard lectures. My nephew and nieces go to good middle schools and get As; and they aren't spending their time accessing Harvard or other higher ed. institutions. The only time they even visit a University or College website is for source material , for assigned school coursework.
Transport that same student body to an inner city school with inner city school funding, and that student body would be just as successful. Inner city schools suck because their student bodies are masses of bad people (mostly because they were raised by bad people).

You keep harping on criticism of red states like it bothers me.

I just want to clean up the mess democrat leadership has made of NY. They literally reward lazy pieces of shit who’ve thrown their lives away because of drugs and alcohol. And they tax the working class to pay for these pieces of shit. If I see another refugees welcome poster hanging up while we can’t even fix the potholes on the highway, I might lose my freaking mind.

You keep harping on criticism of red states like it bothers me.

I just want to clean up the mess democrat leadership has made of NY. They literally reward lazy pieces of shit who’ve thrown their lives away because of drugs and alcohol. And they tax the working class to pay for these pieces of shit. If I see another refugees welcome poster hanging up while we can’t even fix the potholes on the highway, I might lose my freaking mind.

You cry about one city, NYC, that improved under dem and gop leadership, and talk about drug abuse while red states are the most ravaged when it comes to drug addiction, usually of meth or opioids.

If you want your potholes filled, look elsewhere, because it's not helping the poor (Something the white robed Jesus freak GOP should support) that's making sure our infrastructure cannot get rebuilt.

North Dakota is the best run state in the country. A sub-2.0 murder rate (LITERALLY Honduras brahs), an incarceration rate closer to Norway's than the US national average, the death penalty has been abolished since 1973, there's been one 'mass shooting' in the last 25 years, and lawmakers have been pushing strong reforms to make its prisons more humane and slash recidivism even further. In addition, it has the lowest unemployment rate in the country, a state-owned bank - the only of the 50 states - and a growing multi-billion dollar sovereign wealth fund for the public salted away from its petroleum resource revenues.

https://www.governor.nd.gov/news/north-dakota-ranks-1st-quality-life-4th-overall-us-news-world-report’s-best-states-rankings

Shocker.

"The kicker is that this—all of this: the dissolution of the free trade order, the global demographic inversion, the collapse of Europe and China—is all just a fleeting transition. The period of 2015 through 2030 will be about the final washing away of the old Cold War order. It isn’t the end of history. It is simply clearing the decks for what is next. Which will be something extraordinary.

The Hobbesian period of 2015–30 will be the least Amerocentric portion of the twenty-first century, because by 2030 three things will have happened that will solidify the world as America’s oyster.

First, everyone else in the world will have had fifteen years to rip one another apart going after the scraps of the previous system. Resource wars. Market wars. A return of naval competition. New technologies that allow countries beset by problems—especially demographic problems—to still lash out. Does anyone actually think that drones—a technology that hits hard with a minimum of manpower—will remain purely an American tool?

It’ll be new, exciting, terrifying. And a not insignificant portion of the world is likely to get wrecked or simply waste away. All of the powers that the Americans think of as competitors—with Russia, China, and the European Union at the top of the list—will be exposed to have feet of clay and spines of glass.

Second, most if not all of that chaos and destruction will pass the Americans by. Instead of fifteen years of struggles and pain and want, the Americans will experience fifteen years of moderate growth with stable markets and reliable energy supplies. As of 2014, the Americans are already far and away the dominant power. By 2030, they will be inordinately stronger in both absolute and relative terms while most of the rest will be struggling just to stay where they are… and most of the rest will fail.

The Americans will suffer no invasions (although they might launch a couple), they will watch the shipping wars with casual disinterest (although they might capture bits of it), they’ll puzzle over why everyone suddenly wants their currency again (but won’t hesitate to make it available). The Americans will be able to pick and choose their fights, or not even deign to participate in the wider world.

Third, America’s demographics will invert a second time. By 2030, the oldest of the Boomers will be eighty-four, but by 2040, the youngest will be seventy-six. The sack of bricks that started descending upon the federal government back in 2007 will be almost completely lifted. Settling daintily into the roomy space the Boomers will be vacating will be the new retiree class, Gen X—aged sixty-one to seventy-five at that point. The Boomers’ children, Gen Y, will be forty to sixty. As a group the Ys’ incomes will make the American system flush with cash once again.

America’s long Boomer nightmare will be over and government finances will step back into the light to find a world that is a broken wasteland. By 2040, many of the world’s developing states will have aged into the sort of damaged demography that the Europeans had experienced only a generation before and will be starting their own crippling slide into pain and decrepitude.

One notable exception to this will be China, because China will already be there. By 2040, the average Chinese will be forty-seven, versus the average American who will only be forty. By that point Americans will think of China as just as much of a has-been as they think of Japan today—assuming that China still exists as a recognizable entity. Bereft of challenges, the Americans will be able to do a lot of navel gazing.

What do the Americans have to do to make sure this comes to pass? Not a damn thing. Geography has given the Americans almost everything they could ever need. China and Europe will fall and fade without prompting. Russia will crumble on its own. Iran will scramble the Middle East like a bad omelet for its own reasons. Demographics in the United States will rebound on their own, and even determined efforts to repair the damage in other nations won’t generate their first glimpses of positive results until 2035. Shale takes care of the rest. America’s strengths may be accidental, but they are strengths—and durable ones at that—nonetheless.

Simply put, the world is indeed going to hell, but the Americans are going to sit this one out."

:D

One state is nowhere near enough to show a trend.

You cry about one city, NYC, that improved under dem and gop leadership, and talk about drug abuse while red states are the most ravaged when it comes to drug addiction, usually of meth or opioids.

If you want your potholes filled, look elsewhere, because it's not helping the poor (Something the white robed Jesus freak GOP should support) that's making sure our infrastructure cannot get rebuilt.

<{cruzshake}>

You realize Albany is the capital of ny right?

Not really true. How much of the "need for america" is created by america itself? Interventionist policies the past 6 decades have made a lot of enemies. There wouldn´t be so much "dirty work" if the US didn´t create it.

There are certainly no problems Europe couldn´t handle themselves. This needing the US as muscle is a false narrative pushed by pro military Americans. Like I said, it has mainly been Europe assisting the US in stupid wars.
Europe also have to spend massively taking in all the refugees the US creates since they don´t put on their big boy pants and clean up after themselves.
And it was warmongering anti Russian Neocons who chastised the E.U. for not going along with the US in confronting Russia in Ukraine.

Transport that same student body to an inner city school with inner city school funding, and that student body would be just as successful. Inner city schools suck because their student bodies are masses of bad people (mostly because they were raised by bad people).

They would be better academically than the inner city kids, but they would not be as successful as they are in their nice suburban school with its clean classrooms, up to date computers, good facilities , plenty of extra curricular activities, beautiful green spaces & landscaping and good teachers and staff.

Inner city schools, along with single parent household and poor parenting, also have other issues relating to poverty and crime and lack the same quality of teachers that a good suburban school has. The quality of teachers and their genuine enthusiasm makes a huge difference in how effective a person understand the material.

Back