Consensus on knee wraps

That's why you flex your quads and lock your patella into place before and as you wrap your knees. Like I said, I've yet to hear of anyone with knee issues simply from squatting in wraps.

I'm not going to address the second part of your post, as that's just ripskater being ripskater, and I'm not getting baited into one of those discussions. No one should be wrapping their knees to squat other than powerlifters who compete in wraps. If an "athlete" is using wwraps, it's likely they're using them improperly and not wrapping them tight enough to begin with.

Plus, you've provided no evidence for any of that.

I just wanted to point out that not everyone has 3 guys cranking their wraps insanely tight around their knees at meets. Some guys still prefer to do it themselves.
Yep. Flexing the quad to lock the patella in place is one of the first things I was taught when I started using wraps. One of my coaches made the mistake of not doing that earlier in his lifting career and was injured.

Lol at the posters in here who have never tried squatting in wraps but presume to know everything about them.

Let me wrap your knees one time and you'll probably never want to use wraps for the rest of your life.

Kirk Karwowski wrapped my training partners knee during a meet. I thought he was about to deliver a baby from the pain you could see in his eyes....
Your buddy was lucky to leave with his health intact.

Eh, I recant calling it cheating because

A. I didn't finish all 5 sets. I was failing around rep 4 on sets 3 and 4 and didn't even do set 5. Never failed out of the hole but couldn't stand up with it.

B. I'm still sore today, 2 days later. I can tell I subjected myself higher intensity than normal. It's not like the wraps made me bionic or something.

Cheating? No.

Helpful tool? Not really, unless you plan to compete in a powerlfiting meet wearing wraps.

The rest of your post isn't really adding up. Of course you wouldn't be able to do something unwrapped that you do wrapped. The wraps let you squat more weight.

Yup.

I mean, some people would argue that they allow you to overload the movement, thereby helping your unwrapped squat, but they change the mechanics of my squat too much for me to get on board with that one. YMMV.

If your knees are wrapped properly and your squat mechanics are sound, why would it matter? You don't hear any of the 900 or 1000+ wrapped squatters complaining about knee issues.

Ed Coan used to wrap himself. He was pretty good.
I mean cheating in regards to stats. You don't bench with a slingshot and say it's your 1rm right?

How is this even a question? You say you squat ________ in wraps and you squat __________ without. You would typically distinguish between the two.

I don't care why you use them. My only question is can they reduce stress on the knee joint while allowing you to get development

How is this even a question? You say you squat ________ in wraps and you squat __________ without. You would typically distinguish between the two.
Does the same apply to sleeves? My lifetime PR is in sleeves.

I like them but my federation allows them so I don't consider them cheating at all. If you aren't going to compete in a fed that allows them though I don't see a reason to become dependent on them.

Knee wrapping to lift heavier is probably not good for the knee. Especially long term for the athletes.

Sleeves are probably ok.

I honestly don't get why you're commenting on wraps vs sleeves. Aren't you the bodyweight workout aficionado? Do you find that wrapping works better than sleeves for bodyweight squats?

I honestly don't get why you're commenting on wraps vs sleeves. Aren't you the bodyweight workout aficionado? Do you find that wrapping works better than sleeves for bodyweight squats?
I used to lift weights Cmart.

I'm just commenting that wraps won't be the best idea for athletes.

I think sleeves are fine, they don't add all that compression. They pretty much will just keep your knees warm. Which is probably good for heavy squatting.

I used to lift weights Cmart.

I think sleeves are fine, they don't add all that compression. They pretty much will just keep your knees warm. Which is probably good for heavy squatting.

I agree, and I'm just stirring the pot. I've met some terrifyingly strong calisthenics guys, it's no joke to do tough bodyweight workouts. But I like to make fun just the same, because they poke the "fat, inflexible, no-cardio powerlifter" stereotypes as well.

I agree, and I'm just stirring the pot. I've met some terrifyingly strong calisthenics guys, it's no joke to do tough bodyweight workouts. But I like to make fun just the same, because they poke the "fat, inflexible, no-cardio powerlifter" stereotypes as well.
Sorry, I'm not used to good hearted fun in here. It can get pretty venomous in f13, so I didn't know you're just giving me a little crap in good fun.

Uhh no kidding...

Nice work addressing my other post, though. I guess posting shit without evidence is easy if you have no intention of justifying it.

If you agree, then why get so upset at my post?

That wasn't the part of the post I was worried about.

And, like I've said many times, so much unsubstantiated bullshit gets posted in this place that people who don't know any better might think it's actual good information. It sucks. Such is life on internet forums, though, I suppose.

Why would wrapping your knees matter over the long term? If you've got high compressive forces of the wrap pushing the patella into the knee, you could change how that patella glides over the knee.

Do you have anything to support that?

That wasn't the part of the post I was worried about.

And, like I've said many times, so much unsubstantiated bullshit gets posted in this place that people who don't know any better might think it's actual good information. It sucks. Such is life on internet forums, though, I suppose.

Do you have anything to support that?
It's simple common sense. You're binding up your knee and patella when you wrap knees for powerlifting. So obviously that patella is not going to glide as freely and easily the way it's supposed to glide over the knee joint.

I'm not sure why you're so bothered by my statement.

It's simple common sense. You're binding up your knee and patella when you wrap knees for powerlifting. So obviously that patella is not going to glide as freely and easily the way it's supposed to glide over the knee joint.

I'm not sure why you're so bothered by my statement.

1. It's not simple common sense.

2. If it's obvious, give me some evidence to support it.

3. I'm not bothered, but so far it's nothing more than unsubstantiated bullshit. Why would you think I'd let you post it without calling you on it?

Last edited:
1. It's not simple common sense.

2. If it's obvious, give me some evidence to support it.

3. I'm not bothered, but so far it's nothing more than unsubstantiated bullshit.
http://boxlifemagazine.com/knee-wraps-vs-knee-sleeves-whats-the-difference/

"Disadvantages
While knee wraps do allow you to move more weight, they don’t necessarily help you get any stronger. This is because they are restrictive in nature, and because they completely cover the patella and are worn tightly (thus pushing the kneecap into the thighbone), they can increase the friction between the patella and the cartilage of the kneecap. As you might expect, this can lead to injury and troublesome knee joint problems like arthritis."

Back