Conor's Striking or Khabib's Grappling

p4pgoat

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I get that I am attempting to compare the weight of a rock against the length of a string, but which fighter's respective discipline is better: Conor's Striking or Khabib's Grappling?

Is Khabib's grappling a 9/10, 10/10? What about Conor's striking?

Also, does this matchup emulate the dream fight that we never got: Prime Anderson v. Prime GSP? Where an all-time great striker faces an all-time great wrestler.

Last question, what's a better base to start off with in MMA: Boxing or Wrestling?

Hard to even tell.

I want Kevin Lee vs Khabib. If Khabib out grapples him and shows minimal flaws, then I'd say it's close to perfect.

Striking is much different, there's way more room for holes. I'd say Conor's striking is around 9/10 & Khabib's wrestling is 9/10. Conor has been tested in all departments, but Khabib has not.

Great strikers that Conor beat:
Jose Aldo
Max Holloway
Dustin Poirier
Nate Diaz
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Wrestlers that Khabib beat:
Gleison Tibau
Al Iaquinta

Khabib has wrestling and grappling which are effective standing or on the ground.
He can dictate where the fight goes also has much better cardio. Huge advantage.

The wrestler/grappler is generally favored over the striker because the body is a bigger target than the chin.

Khabib's striking only needs to be good enough to avoid exchanges and he is one of the least hit fighters in the UFC.

Last edited:
Conor met his match in the stand-up against Nate.

Khabib met his match in wrestling against Tibau.

Hard to even tell.

I want Kevin Lee vs Khabib. If Khabib out grapples him and shows minimal flaws, then I'd say it's close to perfect.

Striking is much different, there's way more room for holes. I'd say Conor's striking is around 9/10 & Khabib's wrestling is 9/10. Conor has been tested in all departments, but Khabib has not.

I'm not sure how Lee became this grappling God around here by losing to nearly ever guy he fought who had collegiate wrestling experience.

I guess beating highschool wrestler, blue belt BJJ man in chiesa, or beating khabib's left overs in barboza made Lee a grappling wizard around here.

I'm not sure how Lee became this grappling God around here by losing to nearly ever guy he fought who had collegiate wrestling experience.

I guess beating highschool wrestler, blue belt BJJ man in chiesa, or beating khabib's left overs in barboza made Lee a grappling wizard around here.

Not saying he's a grappling wizard, but he's been able to out grapple Tony Ferguson and he absolutely demolished Edson Barboza in a similar fashion to Khabib. I think it'd be a tough match up for Khabib, that's the point.

Not saying he's a grappling wizard, but he's been able to out grapple Tony Ferguson and he absolutely demolished Edson Barboza in a similar fashion to Khabib. I think it'd be a tough match up for Khabib, that's the point.

Outgrappled tony Ferguson? You mean...until he didn't?

I get the hype, but the outcomes of his fights are telling me a different story. The difference between him and khabib is that when khabib faces guys with some collegiate wrestling backgrounds, khabib still wins. When Lee does, he comes up short like he did against Al and Tony.

Lee still has work to do.

I can't wait to see K1 Khabib emerge in a few weeks, I say Khabib by front kick ko.

Hard to even tell.

Great strikers that Conor beat:
Jose Aldo
Max Holloway
Dustin Poirier
Nate Diaz
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Wrestlers that Khabib beat:
Gleison Tibau
Al Iaquinta

I'm beginning to think that Kevin Lee has been paying for some promotional Sherdog accounts just like Jorge Masvidal did last year.

You have guys like Lee and Masvidal who are amazing fighters but nowhere near the top of the Division. So they pay for fake Sherdog accounts (like the one month old TS) in order to boost their credibility and make arguments for a title shot.

Either way, Kevin "glass jaw" Lee will lose his next match decisively.

Both have its questions.

I'm surprised Brandao and Siver could tag Conor, while Aldo and Alvarez couldn't.

Khabib was out muscled by Tibau in a few exchanges and has gotten taken down at times, so I wont call it 10/10. But he is a overall grappler, he has a very good bottom game as well.

i disagree. Conor proved to be the better striker, his problem wasn't in the striking department. Nate's endurance and stamina is what gave Conor fits.

The first fight is almost a complete throwaway as Conor gave no respect to Nate and fought completely out of character

i disagree. Conor proved to be the better striker, his problem wasn't in the striking department. Nate's endurance and stamina is what gave Conor fits.

The first fight is almost a complete throwaway as Conor gave no respect to Nate and fought completely out of character
and his chin/size.

Conor did not have the power to put Nate away.

and his chin/size.

Conor did not have the power to put Nate away.
He came close in the second fight, but weighed his chances of finishing against his own cardio and played it safe. Which ended up being the right choice based on how tired he got anyway.

Nate is just one of those stylistic match ups that absolutely sucks for Conor. I have a feeling nate's ability to absorb damage will fade over time though and if there is ever a third fight, I don't think it goes the distance.

Khabib met his match in wrestling against Tibau.
Conor is a much better striker then Nate, Nate is just tough and wears people out. His striking then seems better then it is because the opponent is worn out.

Yes he was worn out. Use your brain and try not to ride up on Nates nuts too much.
Nuthuggery is definitely afoot. Clearly he met his match on the feet, whatever the reason. Nate rocked him, several times.

Nuthuggery is definitely afoot. Clearly he met his match on the feet, whatever the reason. Nate rocked him, several times.
You can't compare cardio and toughness to skill. Overall striking Conor is much better, Nate absorbs punishment, walks his opponents down and wears them out basically by pressure and taking shots.

Back