Conor's sparring partner provides insight into camp and predicts how the fight plays out.

dertdent

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Excerpt from an article by Tiernan Bradley published yesterday in the Irish Times.

Mayweather has been talking as if he’s going to go in and attack but I don’t see that happening., and I expect them to feel each other out early on.

Lots of people seem to believe that Conor needs to rush in there from the off and create some sort of chaos, but that’s not playing to his strengths. He is a guy who slowly breaks you down with a mixture of educated pressure and accurate, powerful punches.

I’ve gone home from training with a sore head enough nights – and that’s after sparring with 16 ounce gloves! - to say with confidence that Floyd has never been in with a bigger hitter.

I expect Floyd to try and up the pace in the second and third, and that’s when he’ll realise that Conor is no mug. His counter punching and timing are exceptional, and he will look like a seasoned boxer on the night.

Floyd’s shoulder roll defence is one of the best boxing has ever seen, but with his advancing years and lack of activity, there will be rust there that can’t be shaken off in sparring.

By the fourth, Floyd will realise taking the fight to McGregor isn’t working, retreat back into his defensive shell and attempt to pick up rounds boxing from the outside, but will he still be as quick around the ring?

He’ll need to be, because Conor does not give you a second and he has the engine to stay on your chest.

Back in 2014 Marcos Maidana gave Floyd two tough nights with educated pressure and aggression, and that was with Floyd having had the benefit of studying hours of tape of Maidana’s fights to formulate a plan.

He can’t call on that against McGregor, he’s stepping into the complete unknown, and Conor has plenty more juice in the tank than Maidana, who had a reputation for fading late on.

People say Conor can’t outbox him – he doesn’t need to outbox him. This is a fight, and Conor’s the kind of person who will be able to read the game really quickly.

Even if Conor does find himself behind in the early stages, he is able to adapt, stay patient. John Kavanagh has him well schooled. Those who hope to see him swing a kick at Mayweather’s head out of frustration will be left disappointed.

My gut feeling is that, after the fourth, Conor will push on and really start to take control of the fight, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him finish Mayweather around the middle rounds - possibly by knockout, possibly by sheer volume of punches.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/boxi...otorious-is-going-to-shock-the-world-1117573/

BREAKING: TEAMMATE PREDICTS TEAMMATE WINNING

He can’t call on that against McGregor, he’s stepping into the complete unknown, and Conor has plenty more juice in the tank than Maidana, who had a reputation for fading late on.

Conor got gassed punching a heavy bag.

Conors training camp seems like a bunch of yes men giving him easy work.

I heard the guy did 40 12 rounders with Artem and company. Well that is still 40 12 rounders with Artem and Co. :D

What happens when someone says no to him come fight night?

It's funny how these yes men make him sound like a SUPER athlete.

He had 10 rds to knockout Nate and couldn't even do it partially cause he panicked within 2 lol

Stopped reading after "Floyd has never been in with a bigger hitter"
giphy.gif

Conors training camp seems like a bunch of yes men giving him easy work.

I heard the guy did 40 12 rounders with Artem and company. Well that is still 40 12 rounders with Artem and Co. :D

What happens when someone says no to him come fight night?

It's funny how these yes men make him sound like a SUPER athlete.

He had 10 rds to knockout Nate and couldn't even do it partially cause he panicked within 2 lol

So true.

Back