Conor's not defending against tony and Instead fighting the greatest boxer of our generation

Mayweather is all of a sudden the GOAT boxer of our generation according to Conor fans, who usually would downplay his accomplishments. The only reason Conor fans have changed their tune is they need an excuse as to why Conor is ducking a title defense.
I'm not a "conor fan" I'm pretty objective when It comes to analyzing this shit and not fueled by either blind hatred or love.

I'm a Floyd fan and a huge boxing fan.

Floyd has always been one of the best. Always. He's always been one of If not the greatest defensive boxers the world has ever seen. He will go down In history as one of the greatest of all time.

I'm simply calling out the ridiculousness of people trying to argue he should defend against Tony rather than take part In one of the biggest and historic fights combat sports has ever seen. And It is ridiculous

Well, him fighting floyd..i dunno if you can call that challenging himself. It depends how you look at It I guess, Is it a cash grab or is he legitimately training to beat floyd?

Moving up to lightweight definitely was though. Even Nate @ 170 represented a far more difficult matchup than anything he would face @ 145.

Regardless, It seems like he's pursuing bigger things..where as people are legitimately trying to argue he should've stayed at 145 and defended his title. Or even defended his 155 title against Tony Instead of pursuing a fight against one of the greatest to ever do It In one of the biggest fights combat sports has ever seen.

It's just silly logic

Although I'd wager most of them aren't fans of boxing, floyd and know nothing about the sport as well. In that sense, obviously people want to see fights In their own sport which is MMA.

Love him or hate him, this is the game and Conor is making all the right moves.

He can train to beat Floyd, legitimately, but it is still a cash-grab. If he were simply trying to challenge himself in boxing, he could've tried to fight his way to a title, or challenge someone less retired. There is a reason he worked so hard to get Floyd off the couch, and it's because nobody in the history of combat sports has sold more PPVs than Floyd.

Speaking as both a boxing fan, and an mma fan....I have 0 interest in seeing Conor waste his time getting curb-stomped outside of his own sport and even less interest in seeing Floyd catch his 50th off of a 0-0-0 fighter. I'd be infinitely more interested in Conor/Tony and Floyd/Thurman, but obviously that wouldn't do anywhere near the numbers Conor/Floyd can.

He can train to beat Floyd, legitimately, but it is still a cash-grab. If he were simply trying to challenge himself in boxing, he could've tried to fight his way to a title, or challenge someone less retired. There is a reason he worked so hard to get Floyd off the couch, and it's because nobody in the history of combat sports has sold more PPVs than Floyd.

Speaking as both a boxing fan, and an mma fan....I have 0 interest in seeing Conor waste his time getting curb-stomped outside of his own sport and even less interest in seeing Floyd catch his 50th off of a 0-0-0 fighter. I'd be infinitely more interested in Conor/Tony and Floyd/Thurman, but obviously that wouldn't do anywhere near the numbers Conor/Floyd can.
Well, to each their own. Seems pretty 50/50 In that sense.

The buildup is sure to be legendary, maybe the best ever..so perhaps It will change people's tune about this fight, lol

Watching Floyd beat marciano's record even If It's against Conor Is something to watch In itself for me

Lets be honest the UFC is fucking boring atm and WME and dana want and need this cash grab.

This is not looking very good. This is going to be embarrassing, and a lot of people will feel cheated. Dana says it won't hurt MMA, but it will.

Well, to each their own. Seems pretty 50/50 In that sense.

The buildup is sure to be legendary, maybe the best ever..so perhaps It will change people's tune about this fight, lol

Watching Floyd beat marciano's record even If It's against Conor Is something to watch In itself for me

I might watch, just for history's sake(I'm currently undecided)...but I can't see how, at present, it'll be any different (for me) from seeing a fatal car-accident and being compelled to stare at the wreckage.

To each their own, as you said.

This is not looking very good. This is going to be embarrassing, and a lot of people will feel cheated. Dana says it won't hurt MMA, but it will.

2 minutes of a sparring session from months ago when there's video of 7+ minutes, where both fighters have good moments.

Its not embarassing because at the end of the day Conor can just say "yeah but I bet he wouldn't come to the cage"

I mean, I'm a bigger floyd fan than most. I've been following him ever since I started boxing almost 10 years ago, my old trainer even fought him when he was an early 20's up and comer. He's been one of my main inspirations, one of the greatest to ever do It.

That said, Floyd is 40..he hasn't even been In the boxing gym according to his team and has essentially been on a world tour. Who knows how far past his prime he Is. There's a lot of questions.

Conor Is young, he's a southpaw, he's fast, has a lot of power and is generally a better boxer than the untrained eye gives him for. His counter boxing In particular Is quite good

Obviously Floyd Is one of the greatest of all time, and Indisputably the greatest defensive boxer of all time. In all likelihood, he embarrasses Conor for 12 rounds or stops him.

But, this is fighting. However small, there Is always a chance.

Particularly because of Floyd's age. If this was 5 years ago, even 2-3 years ago It would be absolutely zero for me. But, there's always a chance especially when a guy has power.

Any fight where the main selling point has to be that one of the fighters isn't as good as he used to be, isn't particularly compelling.

thats not his fault, its khabibs

Regardless, he has been just as active as Conor during the last 7 months. I like Tony, and Khabib screwed him there, but he needs to get that fight out of the way first. Then he will have a point.

The greatest boxer of our generation LOL, pretty pathetic, a totally overrated boxer, helped by everybody in the business.

Yeah, the business made him beat Pacquiao, Maidana x2, Canelo, Cotto, De La Hoya and countless others.
It's not like he could possibly be a pretty good boxer.

I never claimed you were the one who said it. You, however, replied to my reply to somebody, so I added it in.

"That's literally caring about what sports media has decided is important"

Not really. Sports media portrays Mayweather as a pussy who ran from Pacquiao. Anyone who understands boxing legitimately knows that isn't the case, and that he's one of the best fighters of all time. It's fun to see how people react to a fight of this magnitude. We're seeing a history defining fight whether you like it or not. This is gonna be remembered for at least the next couple decades.

I enjoy the social aspects of it a lot.

He didn't run from Pacquiao but he fought extremely defensively against a one armed fighter several years past his prime. With the build up that fight had it was disappointing for a lot of people to see that kind of performance. Should it have been expected? Maybe so, but that doesn't make that fight any less of a stinker.

Defend belt for 5-7m or go to boxing and try give the greatest boxer his only loss and get 50 plus million in the process. Tough choice.
If Conor managed to pull of the W, that paycheck would go from 50-100 mil up to 100-200 mil a fight. Fights and a fighters worth is like art and sometimes the shittiest art/fights receive the most money - just ask Uncle Frank, he almost bought a piece o trash:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/arts/design/110-million-basquiat-painting-yusaku-maezawa.html

2 minutes of a sparring session from months ago when there's video of 7+ minutes, where both fighters have good moments.

Its not embarassing because at the end of the day Conor can just say "yeah but I bet he wouldn't come to the cage"
We're talking Mayweather here. Good moments really won't cut it. Conor can, and probably will say that but the damage will be done. Many people will feel cheated and opt out future Conor cards.

Only in MMA would "fans" defend a fighter who denies us the right to see meaningful title fights and instead chooses to piss away his best years in clown-matches against non-top tier opponents in an inconsequential weighclass and retired athletes from other sports.

This is why MMA is shit.

Dumb as fuck fans who aren't bright enough to demand a quality product.

We're talking Mayweather here. Good moments really won't cut it. Conor can, and probably will say that but the damage will be done. Many people will feel cheated and opt out future Conor cards.

Meh. Anything can happen. Nobody with any brains thinks Conor will win, but its not legitimately impossible.

Back