Conor's Coach: Fans Want Diaz Next Not Ferguson

Do you agree with his coach (fans want Diaz to fight Conor next)?

• Total voters
If they actually make the Diaz fight I pray Diaz wins.

I'm sick of the nonsense

People actually trying to justify the champ ducking the interim champ.

giphy.gif
Awesome movie I think.

I've never not been high when I watched it.

I have no evidence to back this up but I just can't see Mcgregor/Diaz III selling significantly more PPV's than Mcgregor/Ferguson.

I'm sick of the nonsense

Fair enough... but surely Diaz has to be considered complicit here?

He has apparently said openly that he won't fight again except for a re-match against McGregor. He must know (as well as anyone) that he doesn't deserve the fight. The only way he gets this fight is purely for want of creating one last big draw (in terms of PPV buys) and the UFC ultimately milking this trilogy to death. We all know this.

And what if Diaz wins? Does he therefore go on to fight Ferguson?? In my opinion, T-Ferg would dispatch Nate with a majority decision or late stoppage.

Either way, Diaz surely needs to realize that the only reason his name is even considered in these high-profile fights is due to this soap opera grudge saga (that he appears all too happy to perpetuate), rather than his talents/record as a fighter amongst the well-respected 155lbs MMA division.

I'm starting to think he's just trying to build leverage for more money to fight Tony. "Hey, everyone wants to see Conor fight Nate and that will make Conor the most money. How are you going to make it worth his while to fight Tony?"
If I am the UFC here is my answer:
"You have a contract with us that says you owe 3 more fights with a salary of $X and $Y bonuses based on Whatever. Fight opponent X that we deem the number one contender or we will have to strip you of the UFC LW title. We let you box Floyd so now fulfill your contract with us."

He is telling the truth. There are 2 guys who want to see that fight, Conor and Nate, so technically the plural, fans, is correct.

The casuals want Diaz, the hardcores want Ferguson, Mcgregor vs diaz is the $ fight. The issue is Conor makes the same $ regardless so he really shouldn't care.

Fair enough... but surely Diaz has to be considered complicit here?

He has apparently said openly that he won't fight again except for a re-match against McGregor. He must know (as well as anyone) that he doesn't deserve the fight. The only way he gets this fight is purely for want of creating one last big draw (in terms of PPV buys) and the UFC ultimately milking this trilogy to death. We all know this.

And what if Diaz wins? Does he therefore go on to fight Ferguson?? In my opinion, T-Ferg would dispatch Nate with a majority decision or late stoppage.

Either way, Diaz surely needs to realize that the only reason his name is even considered in these high-profile fights is due to this soap opera grudge saga (that he appears all too happy to perpetuate), rather than his talents/record as a fighter amongst the well-respected 155lbs MMA division.
I went on my rant about Nate already before.

He went from an anytime, anywhere savage to a diva. And I understand business and the want/need to be properly compensated for his efforts but to outright say I'm not fighting anyone except McGregor is just sad.

I almost, almost want to say stop paying these fighters so much and turn them back into a starving savages again.

If I am the UFC here is my answer:
"You have a contract with us that says you owe 3 more fights with a salary of $X and $Y bonuses based on Whatever. Fight opponent X that we deem the number one contender or we will have to strip you of the UFC LW title. We let you box Floyd so now fulfill your contract with us."
Conor replies "I'm retired. Thanks for more cheese."

As others have pointed out, "hardcore fans" probably make up a small portion of the ppv sales. And casuals certainly are more familiar with Nate than Tony. However, at this point, a Conor ppv is almost exclusively about Conor. I honestly don't think the opponent will make much of a difference in ppv sales. People may be more familiar with Nate than Tony, but I doubt many people are purchasing ppvs specifically to see Nate. They'd be purchasing the ppv to see Conor, same as they would if he faced Tony.

Every poll I've seen has Ferg as a landslide. The closet vote I've seen was Diaz getting like 30%

Coach just knows his cut of a Diaz fight is much bigger than the Tony fight.

Real Conor fans want Woodley. That Conor gif is pretty amazing, bravo whoever did it.

Conor fans basically want fights he can win, so they want the Diaz fight.

I do want to see him fight Nate but it has to be after the title defense.

The PPV numbers will favor Diaz.

I'd rather Conor beat up Tony so we can watch sherdog scramble for their next hero.

I'm sick of the nonsense

Do you want McGregor vs Diaz 4? Because that's how you get McGregor vs Diaz 4.

So that fans are clamoring to see Conor fight someone that wouldnt have fought in almost 2 years? He can’t be that dumb can he?

Back