Conor's Coach: Fans Want Diaz Next Not Ferguson

Do you agree with his coach (fans want Diaz to fight Conor next)?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who’s next for UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor– new interim titleholder Tony Ferguson or two-time former foe Nate Diaz?

According to McGregor’s striking coach, Owen Roddy, both are intriguing options, though he personally prefers a third meeting with Diaz. And he thinks fans feel the same way.

. . .

Ferguson called for a title-unification bout with McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC), who hasn’t fought since an August PPV boxing blockbuster loss to Floyd Mayweather.

During a recent appearance onSubmission Radio, Roddy discussed McGregor’s options, including Ferguson and how a title-unification bout would play out (via YouTube):

“He’s good, obviously,” Roddy said of Ferguson. “He wouldn’t be the interim champion if he wasn’t good. His style is, you know, it’s not traditional. It’s a bit unorthodox and stuff, but I just honestly think that Conor’s going to be way too clean for Ferguson [not talking about steroids]. If Ferguson tries to stand with Conor [and Conor's gas tank doesn'r fail again] for an extended period of time, it will be lights out, in my opinion.

“You know, he’s tough as well. He’s tough and durable, so he may take a couple of smacks, but at the end of the day, Conor’s going to be way too clean and too technical.… He won’t get touched [if his gas tank doesn't fail again]. That’s my opinion. But yeah, it will be an interesting one, and it will be an exciting fight as well because Ferguson does come to fight, and he’s aggressive. He goes in. He looks to finish fights. So it will be exciting. But yeah, without a doubt if he wants to stand and bang with Conor, it’ll be lights out fairly quick, I think.”

However, Rowdy, who expects McGregor to return in the first quarter of 2018, said he and a lot of fight fans would prefer that matchup over one with Ferguson.

“I honestly think that people would rather – like, I think people would rather see Conor vs. Diaz,” he said. “I just think it’s a more exciting fight for everybody. It’s the trilogy. The first two fights, the back and forth [sloppy, slow, bad gas tank fighting] between the guys and the way the fights went – you know, who wouldn’t want to see the third fight [in 2020]? But of course, it makes sense that he fights (Ferguson), he defends the belt.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/10/coach-...n-tony-ferguson-fans-prefer-nate-diaz-trilogy

John Kavanduck being John Kavanduck anything to save his student from the clutches of Big Tony.

Another Conor thread? Need more Human Ken Doll threads instead.

3CCC614500000578-0-image-a-24_1486122289160.jpg

Ok people on Sherdog don't understand this. Sherdog is like 1% of MMA fans. Mostly the "hardcore". The other 99% don't even know who toney Ferguson is. The last PPV did like 200k. What don't you people get. He's not wrong when he says that. Nate diaz was on Conan o Brian FFS. Of course me personally I think he needs to fight toney or vacate and fight Woodley.

John Kavanduck being John Kavanduck anything to save his student from the clutches of Big Tony.
How about reading the article you fool.

Also only casuals want diaz. Fuck that

He's probably right. However, there are other factors to consider and so larger fan interest doesn't necessarily mean the Diaz fight should happen next. That fight can happen at anytime (title or no title) and there's an argument that saving it for later will actually make people anticipate it more than if they pulled the trigger on it now.

A fight with Ferguson makes the most sense right now.

Its amazing the lengths buthurt connie haters go to. Their lives are in tatters.

According to McGregor’s striking coach, Owen Roddy, both are intriguing options, though he personally prefers a third meeting with Diaz. And he thinks fans feel the same way.

Well hopefully this exposes the clear definition between true, educated MMA fans & casual just-bleed morons. Anyone who takes themselves seriously as a true MMA fan understands that even a hypothetical Conor/Diaz III is nothing more than another bullshit meaningless exhibition fight.

During a recent appearance onSubmission Radio, Roddy discussed McGregor’s options, including Ferguson and how a title-unification bout would play out (via YouTube):

“You know, he’s tough as well. He’s tough and durable, so he may take a couple of smacks, but at the end of the day, Conor’s going to be way too clean and too technical.… He won’t get touched [if his gas tank doesn't fail again]. That’s my opinion. But yeah, it will be an interesting one, and it will be an exciting fight as well because Ferguson does come to fight, and he’s aggressive. He goes in. He looks to finish fights. So it will be exciting. But yeah, without a doubt if he wants to stand and bang with Conor, it’ll be lights out fairly quick, I think.”

Conor's striking technique in MMA terms IS excellent, I am happy to agree with that statement. However, to say he "won't get touched" is yet another unfortunate exaggeration of his talents. McGregor's style permits him to keep his hands low... yes... but that doesn't mean he never gets hit. In fact the guy eats enough punches in any given fight you'd think he got confused between his chin & his mouthpiece. What I'm saying is, his striking defense leaves a lot to be desired, therefore I think he will struggle against an aggressive, precise, agile striker like Ferguson.

However, Rowdy, who expects McGregor to return in the first quarter of 2018, said he and a lot of fight fans would prefer that matchup over one with Ferguson.

Anyone who would rather see McGregor/Diaz III over McGregor/Ferguson is not a true fan in my eyes. Harsh maybe, but that's the way I genuinely see it. If you favour meaningless media-fed exhibition over hard-earnt title contention I don't know what to say to you. Other than... you're a cunt.

“I honestly think that people would rather – like, I think people would rather see Conor vs. Diaz,” he said. “I just think it’s a more exciting fight for everybody. It’s the trilogy. The first two fights, the back and forth [sloppy, slow, bad gas tank fighting] between the guys and the way the fights went – you know, who wouldn’t want to see the third fight [in 2020]? But of course, it makes sense that he fights (Ferguson), he defends the belt.

Last sentence is the only part of this drivel that actually makes sense.

How is Conor vs Diaz III in any way at all exciting to any real fan? There are absolutely no title implications... in no way does it affect the hierarchy of either weight divisions... and the first two fights weren't even particularly entertaining?!

The UFC wrapping Nate in bubble wrap and gifting him title fights for what I can only assume is his "draw personality" is only making me lose respect for Nate. Which I really don't want to do!

<TrumpWrong1>

He should stop saying that at this point, because everybody's fan wants Ferguson to be the next.

i dont want conor vs diaz ever again
but diaz vs ferg sounds good

Hardcore fans (i.e. the <1% that know everything about the fighters etc - the Sherdoggers basically) care mainly about rankings, watching the best fight the best, the integrity of the sport. Those fans would want to see him face Ferguson, obviously. To make things worse it seems like, from reading on here anyway, that a sizeable portion of the hardcores don't even buy PPVs but rather just stream them all. The hardcore fan base isn't particularly relevant.

The vast VAST majority of the MMA fanbase is not hardcore however, including the PPV buying fans. I would guess most of them have never heard of Ferguson. A large portion of them probably think Brock Lesnar is the heavyweight champion and that Ronda retired undefeated or something. You can bet the PPV buys would be way higher with Diaz right now. It will take a long time to hype a fight with Ferguson properly.

Nope. It is just an attempt to justify ducking Ferg.

There is a poll up at UFC.com and the vote is currently 78% in favor of Ferg. Conor's coaches are full of shit.

I'm sure it would sell a little better. A couple hundred thousand extra PPV buys is definitely not nothing (especially since he gets his biggest cut on buys above 1 million), but it'll still easily do over 1 million against Tony and I genuinely don't give a shit about his wallet right now. He just fought Floyd. He can fight Tony for 1.3 million buys instead of Nate for 1.5.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't care for the Diaz fight. I want to see the Tony fight.

I'm starting to think he's just trying to build leverage for more money to fight Tony. "Hey, everyone wants to see Conor fight Nate and that will make Conor the most money. How are you going to make it worth his while to fight Tony?"

Back