Conor's boxing training: Will it pay off against Khabib?

LOL so we basically agree. He stood with Nate for 5 rounds. People don't do that. Khabib would get mauled if he did it. That is why the Nate fights need proper context.. Conor did not wrestle him down. It was a striking war..

i agree that he beat Nate's ass on the feet for the most part, but i do not agree that he did it because he wanted to prove a point. Conor can only win with striking, he has no other choice BUT to stand.

1. He didn't prepare for Floyd for a year.

2. Yes, boxing is obviously applicable to MMA.

3. Will it help him against Khabib? Time will tell. He probably would have been better off by taking a year to train TDD and studying Khabib's every move. Then again, he made $100 million for the Floyd fight, so I'd say things worked out well for him.

i agree that he beat Nate's ass on the feet for the most part, but i do not agree that he did it because he wanted to prove a point. Conor can only win with striking, he has no other choice BUT to stand.

Yeah I am saying just that. Conor does what he does. Nate does what he does. That is why it was a war. But people say "Nate would get killed by Khabib" Yeah Khabib will wrestle him down. But would never stand for 5 rounds with him. Conor did. And those fights were 2 of the best ever in the UFC. More people should be fans of those fights, than use them as a means to bash Conor. Anyone at LW who's gameplan is to stand with Nate. You are in for a headache..

probably not. When you are an elite boxer like Conor there isnt much you can improve. Its like Khabib's Grappling. It has improved a little bit, but not substantially because he was already great at it

Absolutely. This boxing position works well while laying on your back AND side. I'm sure Conor will be doing it the entire fight.

He will strike the same as he always does. He didn't changed trainers, or hired a pure boxing trainer. Mcg did what he does on ireland but with more punching. Because of that he MIGHT have improved a little but as you could see in his match with Floyd he tried to do his karate stance and got smoked.

probably not. When you are an elite boxer like Conor there isnt much you can improve. Its like Khabib's Grappling. It has improved a little bit, but not substantially because he was already great at it

Wrong. McG's not an elite boxer and there's always improvements to make. Miguel cotto was an amazing boxer, years away in skill if we compared him to Mcg. After losing to Floyd and Trout he went to Freddy Roach and he improved a lot, shame he was into his twilight but the improvements he made to his overall game were there.

Conor just needs to work on takedown defense and cardio. Cardio...and take down defense.
Dont worry about the wrestling because if Kabob gets him down he's in Fucksville. And he doesnt need to work on striking because it's already vastly superior to Kabobs...by fuckin light years.

Just dont get taken down....a dont run out of gas because the former will happen.

Say it with me. Cardio annnnd... takedown defense!

he should been spending the last 2 years wrestling. khabib cant be punched when conor looking at the roof.

if chad mendes can take conor down easy than khabib will make it twice as easy to do so.

How did that fight go for Chad? He didn’t even last two rounds.

It will until Khabib grabs him.

Man if I was his coach I would have him train uppercuts and knees straight up the middle good possibility to catch him coming in and of course some scrambling. No way to progress as much as needed to hang in a wrestling match

LOL uppercuts. How often does that stop a TD. Pretty much never

Also Conor's stance makes knees difficult

Conor uses MUCH less Boxing then people think

i don't see how boxing can help Conor really much at all unless he's fighting another striker.

if he catches Khabib, i have a feeling he's going to catch him with a punch that isn't proper form in boxing.

something like this
giphy.gif

Yeah I am saying just that. Conor does what he does. Nate does what he does. That is why it was a war. But people say "Nate would get killed by Khabib" Yeah Khabib will wrestle him down. But would never stand for 5 rounds with him. Conor did. And those fights were 2 of the best ever in the UFC. More people should be fans of those fights, than use them as a means to bash Conor. Anyone at LW who's gameplan is to stand with Nate. You are in for a headache..
You're wrong. The second fight was a shit fight. The only people who lovef the figjt were people who ate the whole hype to the fight. The fight itself was bad. Conor gassed in 8 min, when he knocked down Nate, he didn't aggressively go after him, Nate was just pushing Conor against the cage with pitty patter tiny slaps and on top of that Conor was trying to run away when ever he couldn't catch a breath. If you were watching this exact fight and both were fighters you didn't know, your criteria for that fight would have been totaly different. Sorry, it was a shit fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back