Conor VS Prime BJ Penn

SilverSurferInTheFlesh

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
If Conor of 2017 was to go back and fight BJ in his prime, who would win and how?

I got Conor 2nd round TKO

BJ and Conor are about the same size and BJ is one the best fighters to ever compete. Conor is not, not yet anyway. BJ is better than Conor at every single thing. Conor may have bigger power but it's still close. They both have great chins but BJ's is better imo. But BJ has better stanup, cardio, chin, bjj, and wrestling. It's crazy but people have yet to admit that Conor is still a B level fighter. So talking about a B level fighter fighting an elite level fighter is just dumb. Let Conor win some fights at 155 ffs. Then we'll talk.

Conor has nothing for prime BJ Penn. BJ is just a more well rounded fighter that can finish you standing or on the ground. Amazing chin, heavy hands, extremely amazing TDD, very good TD's, world class BJJ. He was on a different league from Conor. This is a small guy who fought Lyoto Machida to a close decision and wasn't even in shape. Conor got finished by Nate Diaz.

Conor has nothing for prime BJ Penn. BJ is just a more well rounded fighter that can finish you standing or on the ground. Amazing chin, heavy hands, extremely amazing TDD, very good TD's, world class BJJ. He was on a different league from Conor. This is a small guy who fought Lyoto Machida to a close decision and wasn't even in shape. Conor got finished by Nate Diaz.
As a long-time BJ Penn stan, I want to agree. But I believe the sport has shifted. Fighters are better, the competition is tougher. Secondly, All of those things you listed that BJ is better than Conor at; it could be argued that Jose is also better than Conor at those things too, but....

BJ takes this - I'm a Conor fan but this is an absolutely horrific matchup for Conor. Think Diaz has a strong chin? You ain't seen nothing yet. Conor gasses towards the end of round 2 and BJ starts landing, takes him down and insta-back take, RNC (again...you think Diaz has good BJJ? Try a guy who won the world championship after only training 3 years...)

Conor fans have absolutely no idea who BJ Penn is, seeing how his fanbase started following MMA after seeing a Conor poster in a local bar after the Aldo fight.

Unfair question to the Colin fans.

Bj by head clean off
Conors soft in the middle when his left cant hurt the opponent.
Boy literally turned tail and ran from diaz.

BJ and Conor are about the same size and BJ is one the best fighters to ever compete. Conor is not, not yet anyway. BJ is better than Conor at every single thing. Conor may have bigger power but it's still close. They both have great chins but BJ's is better imo. But BJ has better stanup, cardio, chin, bjj, and wrestling. It's crazy but people have yet to admit that Conor is still a B level fighter. So talking about a B level fighter fighting an elite level fighter is just dumb. Let Conor win some fights at 155 ffs. Then we'll talk.

It's the WWE effect. It creates dreamers and attracts kids and dumb people. Most Conor's fans are fans of this persona first and fighting abilities last. If Conor wasn't a flashy loud mouth no one would care.

Conor's hand technique got exposed. Well, not to me, since i already knew he had nothing to offer boxing wise. His grappling skills are basic. His cardio is weak as fuck. His chin is suspect. His heart is only there if he is winning. He has a bully mentality. Once things don't go his way he turns into a very different person.

He is a good fighter, but he is far from being an all-time great. His record is nothing that impressive. And i know he is a two division champion, but when you actually look at how he got there, instead of simply looking at the title, it's easy to see that his path to achieve that status wasn't that great.

He is a young guy in his prime and already has 3 losses in his record. Didn't look great against a much smaller Chad Mendes that wasn't even properly prepared. Got finished by Nate Diaz, a guy with 10 losses in his record. Beating Eddie Alvarez doesn't place you in the all-time great list. Beating Aldo was a great accomplishment. But that's pretty much the only thing that sets him apart.

And let's not forget flash KO'ing someone doesn't make you better than that person. Matt Serra KO'd GSP. JDS KO'd Cain. Shit happens. I come from a soccer culture. Sometimes a bad team beats the best team of them all. So what? Does that make the bad team the champion? No, it earns them 3 points in the national league. You need more than 3 points to be the champion. Unfortunely, in MMA all you need to do is to beat the champion. One fight is all it takes, if the UFC gives you good opportunities to climb the rankings.

The best fighter is the one that year after year, for years, beats the crap out of everyone. That shows consistency. José Aldo beat everyone they put in front of him for 10 years. He proved over and over and over and over and over again that he was the best. Let's see Conor do that.

If Conor of 2017 was to go back and fight BJ in his prime, who would win and how?

I got Conor 2nd round TKO

BJ has an iron chin and his ground game is miles ahead of Conor's. If that fight goes to the ground Conor is in trouble.

As a long-time BJ Penn stan, I want to agree. But I believe the sport has shifted. Fighters are better, the competition is tougher. Secondly, All of those things you listed that BJ is better than Conor at; it could be argued that Jose is also better than Conor at those things too, but....

Yes, but BJ isn’t short like Aldo and has way more threatening hands and furthermore, doesn’t ever get intimidated.

{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}

Two front running quitters that would fold faster than a beach chair if someone put the heat on them. I'd take prime BJ though. Great chin on him.

Back