Conor vs Mayweather opening odds

-900? Jeebuz, Rousey was a bigger favorite in actual MMA matches. A fool and his money...
I suppose the bookmakers can't have the odds too high because of the magnitude of the fight so many people will bet on Conor if it's like +2500 or something that they risk going under if he actually does it.

If I was Mayweather, I'd bet a shit load of money against myself in secret and take a dive :)

That would be retarded. You're the greatest boxer alive, undefeated record, insanely rich, and you'd throw it all away just to be slightly wealthier.

Mcgregor may be a huge underdog (not so huge in betting terms) and be in this mainly for the money but one thing is for sure....he's going in believing he can stop Floyd. A man with that mindset can never be written off.

Fair points, I dunno. I'm not sure about the whole "too much money" argument. First, that's predicated on assuming it's a huge PPV, I'm not convinced it will do anywhere near May/PAC. I think the predictions are mostly from the MMA side. How many pure boxing fans will be interested enough to throw down $100, seems unclear to me. I think it'll max out around 3M PPV buys, and may not even do that.
I could be wrong, but I still don't think it happens.

Almost no way it will do as well as May\Pac. 3 million would be a rousing success and I would also agree, not TOO likely.

I can see 2 million... I would be curious how much non US PPV revenue there is. I would guess a good amount. Just some random numbers, if Mayweather makes even (only) $50 million, I don't see why he shouldn't anyhow. It's going to be way easier than his sparring sessions and he gets publicity and the limelight that he loves and probably misses a little.

If McGregor makes $25 million, that's still the largest payday by far that he has ever gotten. He'd probably take less punishment from Mayweather than he would in a fight with Diaz, Woodley or GSP.

Almost no way it will do as well as May\Pac. 3 million would be a rousing success and I would also agree, not TOO likely.

I can see 2 million... I would be curious how much non US PPV revenue there is. I would guess a good amount. Just some random numbers, if Mayweather makes even (only) $50 million, I don't see why he shouldn't anyhow. It's going to be way easier than his sparring sessions and he gets publicity and the limelight that he loves and probably misses a little.

If McGregor makes $25 million, that's still the largest payday by far that he has ever gotten. He'd probably take less punishment from Mayweather than he would in a fight with Diaz, Woodley or GSP.
Yea, MMA media and fans are saying it will be biggest PPV ever, but on the UFC side Conor has the record i believe for highest PPV and it's like 1.6 million. Casuals and boxing fans might add another 500K (1M max), meaning it'll top about around 2.5M best case.
25M is big payday for Conor, but he's not gonna take 1/2 of what mayweather gets i doubt. I suspect Floyd is gonna ask for a ridiculous number like 100M guarenteed. I still don't think this fight ever happens. shrug.

Why?

I think it's gonna happen.

The only way it wouldn't happen now is if Floyd backs out, and then he'll be called a pussy until end of time.

His ego won't allow that.

The reason why is, Floyd is coming to come in and demand twice as much money as Conor. UFC is gonna say no. That'll be that. Floyd will say, "i'm not fighting for less than 100M, so screw them".
Dana and Conor "coming to agreement on fight terms" means nothing. I don't see them ever successfully negotiating this with Floyd and his team. There's way too many egos, hands in the cookie jar, and moving promotional parts for this to ever be negotiated. That's my opinion. I could be wrong, but i hope i'm right. I don't want to see this stupid fight. I want Conor to defend the LW belt.

The dude is 49 -0, nobody is gonna call him a pussy for not fighting Conor. It's a stupid money grab fight anyway. Not fighting Conor would have ZERO impact on Floyd's legacy.

The reason why is, Floyd is coming to come in and demand twice as much money as Conor. UFC is gonna say no. That'll be that. Floyd will say, "i'm not fighting for less than 100M, so screw them".
Dana and Conor "coming to agreement on fight terms" means nothing. I don't see them ever successfully negotiating this with Floyd and his team. There's way too many egos, hands in the cookie jar, and moving promotional parts for this to ever be negotiated. That's my opinion. I could be wrong, but i hope i'm right. I don't want to see this stupid fight. I want Conor to defend the LW belt.

The dude is 49 -0, nobody is gonna call him a pussy for not fighting Conor. It's a stupid money grab fight anyway. Not fighting Conor would have ZERO impact on Floyd's legacy.

Well I disagree on almost every point but that's cool. I still respect your opinion and it may be the right one. Time will tell!

Well I disagree on almost every point but that's cool. I still respect your opinion and it may be the right one. Time will tell!
Fair enough. If it's gonna happen it'll happen within the next 3 - 6 months, (the deal I mean not the fight) otherwise it's gonna lose any momentum it has now. We'll see. For me I'd rather see him fight tony.

Floyd's last opponent was 50/1. Some bookies offered 100/1.
Best price on Conor - 5/1 lol.
Most hilarious of all is that both Conor and Floyd are exactly 70/1 to win by first round KO. Imagine that, an MMA fighter has according to the very shrewd boxing bookies no less of a chance of scoring a KO in round 1 as one of the greatest boxers of all time.

Back