Conor threads vs Regular threads.

I officialy put RESPEK on your name, these statistics change a lot. Huge if true.

He's right, that's special enough

Its a blood sport, there's nothing noble or whatever about it. We're all fucked in the head for enjoying it. Sure there's some special kind of stupid in this place, but that's not solely on Conor's shoulders.

Its the nature of MMA, it tends to attract retards..all Conor did was put a better spotlight on it.

Its a blood sport, there's nothing noble or whatever about it. We're all fucked in the head for enjoying it. Sure there's some special kind of stupid in this place, but that's not solely on Conor's shoulders.

Its the nature of MMA, it tends to attract retards..all Conor did was put a better spotlight on it.
I can agree that Conor attracted a lot of retards.
It's not solely on his shoulders, but it's squarely placed there

Since the Conor era most fans of mma I know have gone off it, also I've seen many posts on here similar. He's singlehandedly stalled two divisions

Well, that's your inner social circle and others which makes up a minuscule percentage of the viewership. I find it odd these ex MMA fans to go off the sport because of one fighter out of 500+ in the UFC. Lots of fighters have stalled divisions be it due to injury or inactivity. The guy he beat to win the FW belt off is hardly the most active fighter.

Not to excuse him from stalling the FW division, but there's a ying and yang effect at play there - he knows his worth, and I don't think he's the first fighter or only one to know that, but he says it out loud, acts on it and when no one was fighting for the FW belt, he at least was active and making the company millions.

I don't think people care about the belts as much as they go on about it on here, but if fans are so concerned about the welfare of fighters, they should at least recognise that Conor is bringing in that money that pays them when they fight.

UFC turns blind eye to legitimacy now because of fast Ppv and hype

Hmmm. No one seemed to have a problem when Gustafsson had a title shot coming of a loss. Condit getting one after going 1-1. Woodley sitting out for a year after going 2-1. There's probably a couple more examples I'm missing, but you must have being watching the sport long enough to know that money will always rule the roost or a striker will most likely leap frog over a grappler who is in the running for a title shot.

Conor doesn't get stripped but others do

He was stripped of the FW belt shortly after he fought Alvarez.

With all due respect, that's hardly a compelling list of reasons why MMA has gone down the shitter because of Conor. I'd love to read the other reasons on the list.

I wouldn't say mma has suffered, just the UFC as a respectable brand.
Obviously they're not suffering, they're making cash hand over fist.
But who respects them?
They very clearly make some champs fight while protecting every champ named Conor.

the nuthuggers cut down on the threads since the sub forum

conduckst.png

Well, even now you still get threads about Conor even where people disagree but don't go on like a 4 year old when that person disagrees with them. I've read decent debate on threads where the first two pages is cordial and someone pops in, makes a comment that annoys someone and the thread goes off track and ends up turning into a debate about whether who would win in a fight with a Velociraptor and an Elephant.

There was a thread before the Conor and Alvarez fight where it was interesting to read people's breakdown of the fight and there was the odd shit head comment, but it didn't go tits up.

The Conor and Aldo threads were abominations and I think that came from both fans of them. Cos there's so many posters on here, it's hard to keep tabs on folk who are trolling or believe what they're posting. For example; I remember someone posting that he thought Conor would win and it was almost like he dropped a bomb on the thread for having the audacity to think that Conor could beat Aldo.

There's a lot of people who post one sentence, ie; 'I think fighter X whoops him. lol' And people who think they know everything about MMA. I don't get why folk just don't ignore them or react to a daft post by someone, especially on this place.

Certainly it's not some absolute thing where now there are only shit threads and back in the day every thread was the epitome of debate, but if you were to compare the ratio of garbage/troll/loweffort threads today to four or five years ago the difference is stark. It's not like I had to go searching very hard for the thread I linked. The further back you go the more cordial the forum becomes. However, this isn't a phenomenon unique to sherdog, but a general trend in discourse on the internet IMO. This increase in anti-intellectualism and favoring of shorter, cruder, more shocking messages, the sort of which would more at home on intentionally curt communication apps like twitter or instagram or snapchat, has changed the culture of old fashioned forums such as this one and not for the better.

Last edited:
To be honest it's because making the sub forum has stopped people from bothering to make Conor threads in general.

I am a creature of habit. I click in the Heavies. That is where I set up camp when I am on sherdog. I sometimes travel to the Mayberry or go on an adventure to the pictures and multimedia to see the latest "you laugh you lose" but I always come home to the Heavies.

I have never even clicked on that McGregor Mayweather sub forum. If it didn't exist Conor Mayweather threads would be created tenfold.
Exactly! wilKO gets it.

Before I joined this website, for like 12 years, I used to just go to the front page and click on articles, threads and would not even bother going to the heavies. Then when I joined, like you, I would just go to the heavies.

This place was hopping when there was no subforum. It would be funny if Sherdog was the determining factor in PPV buys, kinda like the butterfly effect, and they cock blocked breaking the PPV record. I say just combine them for two months and let the hype train roll on and give the cryers a pacifier for the next eight weeks and then create a sub forum.

its not as fun to troll regarding conor / mayweather without a broader audience - i think a lot of the fun was to just annoy people who arent as interested - when you're stuck in a subforum, that isnt going to happen as much - im surprised they created a subforum, to be honest - they never did for ronda threads or other nonsense

Actually, sherdog did used to have a lot more shockingly civilized discussions.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/edgar-vs-aldo-poll.2372175/

For instance, this thread I just found at random. Notice: no idiotic memes, no stupid gifs of either fighter losing, no moronic bragging or insulting, hardly any hyperbole. None of the shitty ignorant drama that consumes this place now.

Though, Conor's arrival and subsequent popularity is more of a concordant symptom than cause.
Awesome thread actually.

its not as fun to troll regarding conor / mayweather without a broader audience - i think a lot of the fun was to just annoy people who arent as interested - when you're stuck in a subforum, that isnt going to happen as much - im surprised they created a subforum, to be honest - they never did for ronda threads or other nonsense

Ronda was only on The Ring cover and dropping world boxing champs in sparring...she never actually took a boxing match.

The forum is delightful once again....

The creation of the conor forum was PERFECT. This place is not chaos anymore.

so_good.jpg

Your math must be wrong somehow dude, because the heavies are clearly more peaceful now.

Back