Conor Raised the Bar Too High - That's the Problem With UFC Now

In a few years, I think WME will regret allowing MayMac to happen. There's a reason why the Fertittas were unwilling to do it........the amount of money Conor earned gave him unlimited leverage over the UFC, because now he doesn't "have to fight." He can just sit back and enjoy his millions.

They got away with paying him a 3 million dollar base salary for his last three fights (fucking laughable), all of which did over 1.3 million PPV buys. Now, he won't return for anything short of $30 million guaranteed, plus PPV points.

It's honestly amusing to see how terrible WME-IMG are at managing this whole thing; part of me actually wants Conor to continue to screw them even harder, just for the lols.

The best thing that ever happened for Conor's financial future in the UFC was to see his fellow PPV draws (Rousey, Lesnar, Jones, GSP) either leave the sport or get USADA'd, because now he's the only guy that can even get a PPV to do over 350k buys. They almost have no choice but to pay him whatever the fuck he wants, and he can keep raising the bar higher and higher, until he'd be making Mayweather-esque purses for every fight.
The only reason Connor would ever get paid that much for a UFC fight is because dumbasses like you think he's worth it.

I've been thinking about this as well and could probably have a long discussion about this.

He sold tickets to an interview and garnered enough attention to set up a contest with the highest paid athlete in the world in an entirely different sport.

Think about that...
Yes let's think...he was only able to do that because idiots like you are gullible enough to think that joke of a fight would actually be competitive. Easily impressed dumbasses like you are exactly why the UFC is in the state it's in...the owners are trying to tap in to your stupidity.

He’s a better than average fighter with a big mouth. Too bad he’s retired

Expected 2017 join date thread after reading post.

Turned phone sideways to reveal join date... 2017 indeed

He could do it all...fight, finish fights, sell fights, make people emotionally invested, etc...

Everything feels lacklustre when he's not involved. That's the issue - there are no stars left. I don't care what any UFC hipster says....

Dana should just pay him what he is asking for.
The UFC letting him self promote the way he did is going to bite them in the ass. It's only a matter of time before he has his RRR moment and falls off the map then the WME guys will be fucked. I guess that's what happens when you promote towards ppl with adhd

He could do it all...fight, finish fights, sell fights, make people emotionally invested, etc...

Everything feels lacklustre when he's not involved. That's the issue - there are no stars left. I don't care what any UFC hipster says....

Dana should just pay him what he is asking for.
Spoken like a true UFC fan that has been watching for 2-3 years. The people who have really followed the sport for decades know that fighters come and go quickly. Stars rise, stars fall, and everyone who fights, loses fights. That's why your boy Mcnuggets is hiding scared. He already had a couple of ass whoopins and he knows that the worst of them are in store if he actually tries to defend. Conor only wants to fight guys smaller than him(MAX), over the hill(Nate), or make it real easy by getting a boxer to try MMA. Conor fans are just temporary crossover WWE fans who fake being UFC fans.

There are just too many guys on the roster. Too many divisions. I can't keep up with them all anymore, so each PPV is loaded with guys who I've never heard of and have no feelings about. That makes it hard to get emotionally invested and put down the cash for the PPV, which is already overpriced to begin with. One or two big names on a card isn't enough for me. I remember years back when I used to know the majority of the fighters on the card, including the prelims. It made watching the entire card fun and rewarding, because I knew who they were, where they stood, how they fight, etc. I could speculate about the match ups, make predictions, see improvements in skill, etc. But these days there are so many unknown guys on the cards that I can't really do any of that, which makes it hard to care.

Spoken like a true UFC fan that has been watching for 2-3 years. The people who have really followed the sport for decades know that fighters come and go quickly. Stars rise, stars fall, and everyone who fights, loses fights. That's why your boy Mcnuggets is hiding scared. He already had a couple of ass whoopins and he knows that the worst of them are in store if he actually tries to defend. Conor only wants to fight guys smaller than him(MAX), over the hill(Nate), or make it real easy by getting a boxer to try MMA. Conor fans are just temporary crossover WWE fans who fake being UFC fans.

The definition of a UFC Hipster.

Hilarious.

The only reason Connor would ever get paid that much for a UFC fight is because dumbasses like you think he's worth it.

When you sell ppv’s thay routinely do well over 1 mill buys, and main event an event that does over 4 mill buys I think you deserve some serious checks.

You should probably stay off sherdog until he returns. We won't take it personally

Also he never pulls out. Takes any fight or late replacement.

He wants Khabib in Russia I guarantee it.

But the MMA hipsters here only like boring fighters who pull out every other fight.

Anyone trying to deny that he set a new standard in MMA is delusional. The only question now is whether or not anyone else can follow in his footsteps. Currently no one is even close. We're seeing some fighters trying to get a little piece of the pie, but they don't have anywhere near the clout of Conor.

All told the McGregor era is likely near its end. He has accomplished his goals and likely just going to ride the wave now and retire soon. McGregor with that look in his eye takes Khabib and Tony. I'm not sure he's the same man anymore. He's extracted as much money as he can from the sport and I'm guessing his drive is outside of fighting now.

The issue with the UFC is that they have no one to take his place and are seemingly entering another dark age where they have no stars. I'd love to hear how WME intends to grow this sport right now. I can't see any way that they get new viewers with the current roster they have now.

I enjoy it more when he is gone. Sherdog is even better without him. Only a handful of people like the TS verbally blows J.R. him.

Back