Conor Raised the Bar Too High - That's the Problem With UFC Now

In a few years, I think WME will regret allowing MayMac to happen. There's a reason why the Fertittas were unwilling to do it........the amount of money Conor earned gave him unlimited leverage over the UFC, because now he doesn't "have to fight." He can just sit back and enjoy his millions.

They got away with paying him a 3 million dollar base salary for his last three fights (fucking laughable), all of which did over 1.3 million PPV buys. Now, he won't return for anything short of $30 million guaranteed, plus PPV points.

It's honestly amusing to see how terrible WME-IMG are at managing this whole thing; part of me actually wants Conor to continue to screw them even harder, just for the lols.

The best thing that ever happened for Conor's financial future in the UFC was to see his fellow PPV draws (Rousey, Lesnar, Jones, GSP) either leave the sport or get USADA'd, because now he's the only guy that can even get a PPV to do over 350k buys. They almost have no choice but to pay him whatever the fuck he wants, and he can keep raising the bar higher and higher, until he'd be making Mayweather-esque purses for each fight.
Exactly, I'm gobsmacked at how such a large company such as WME can seem so amateurish and quite frankly clueless in terms of knowing how to manage the UFC and fighters in general. The Fertitas really did "See them coming", when they sold up, they must be be pissing themselves right now knowing that they sold them a flailing product and yes the whole Conor fiasco has been a massive own goal, he quite literally doesn't need them anymore which is the bottom line but he does need to be stripped as he simply wont fight for anything other than insane money as we all know.

WME is 4 billion in debt.

At best, they make 50million average per pay per views. That's if GSP or McGregor fought on every event.

UFC 220, they spent a little over 2.4million on just paying the fighters. They only made approximately 20mill back on ppv buys.

Now factor in all they spent on putting the event together and paying everyone else, including Dana's greedy ass. They didn't make shit. And they're already being cheap.

Reality check: That's the average UFC event.

That's a snail crawl in making back WME's 4billion.

UFC is dying, bro.

UFC sucks these days because it has destroyed its own integrity by devaluing belts, rankings and matchups. Improve the product and you'll attract fans. Stop investing all the money on Paiges and Northcutts and start investing on legit talents.

I kind of agree with the premise, minus the nuthugging and surrender aspects. Love him or hate him, Conor came across as something special, a comet that drew everyone's eyes. Unfortunately it left the company with the unrealistic expectation that the unusual was the new normal. Now it continuously tries to recapture the sweet high, and keeps stumbling worse and worse.

WME is 4 billion in debt.

At best, they make 50million average per pay per views. That's if GSP or McGregor fought on every event.

UFC 220, they spent a little over 2.4million on just paying the fighters. They only made approximately 20mill back on ppv buys.

Now factor in all they spent on putting the event together and paying everyone else, including Dana's greedy ass. They didn't make shit. And they're already being cheap.

Reality check: That's the average UFC event.

That's a snail crawl in making back WME's 4billion.

UFC is dying, bro.
Hang on, let me read that..
tenor.gif
..shit, your right.

It's crazy to think the most googled athlete of 2017 was an MMA fighter. I wonder if some of the fighters are going to want his autograph now.

UFC sucks these days because it has destroyed its own integrity by devaluing belts, rankings and matchups. Improve the product and you'll attract fans. Stop investing all the money on Paiges and Northcutts and start investing on legit talents.
Good point, lets not forget that Northcutt and VanZant got upgraded exclusive Reebok contracts too..... and lets be honest, they both suck at fighting but "look" the part.

Conor is retired why is he being brought up all the time?

The sport must move on

I think you mean Mayweather raised the bar for combat sports. Almost everyone hates the guy yet he can generate big ppv numbers because people want to see him lose.

He even got the worlds most famous MMA fighter to come into his sport to beg for a paycheck.

He could do it all...fight, finish fights, sell fights, make people emotionally invested, etc...

Everything feels lacklustre when he's not involved. That's the issue - there are no stars left. I don't care what any UFC hipster says....

Dana should just pay him what he is asking for.

Nope.....Fire His Azz

I have not bought one of his fights. Yes I have either read about the next day or watched highlights..AS I DO MOST FIGHTS. Yes Conor is a Profoundly Effective Marketable Bullshitter. Sadly...imo.. Bullshit Marketing sells More than Actual skill,talent durability ,ect. Most are wannabe IDOL WORSHIPPERS...looking for the next Latest Greatest Fix.. Read the boards here.

goat this ,,goat that.... yawn......chuckle... strange to me

Nonsense. He isn't a real fighter anymore. He is a rich diva that doesn't defend.

Other fighters can't generate as many nuthuggers as Conror.

He is truly a special fighter.

Or as many haters. Wether you love Conor or hate his guts, you'll tune in to see him either win or lose and he wins either way.

The best thing that ever happened for Conor's financial future in the UFC was to see his fellow PPV draws (Rousey, Lesnar, Jones, GSP) either leave the sport or get USADA'd, because now he's the only guy that can even get a PPV to do over 350k buys. They almost have no choice but to pay him whatever the fuck he wants, and he can keep raising the bar higher and higher, until he'd be making Mayweather-esque purses for every fight.
Conor is not that close to Mayweather's purse for every fight in my opinion. Floyd's titles were legitimate championship belts with long history, recognized by major sports organisations across the world. MMA is expanding fast, but UFC's belts are nowhere near those in terms of legitimacy yet. Dust hasn't settled yet on Conor's recent losses and his 155 future is very dim, because he has yet to agree to a fight.

In a few years, I think WME will regret allowing MayMac to happen. There's a reason why the Fertittas were unwilling to do it........the amount of money Conor earned gave him unlimited leverage over the UFC, because now he doesn't "have to fight." He can just sit back and enjoy his millions.

They got away with paying him a 3 million dollar base salary for his last three fights (fucking laughable), all of which did over 1.3 million PPV buys. Now, he won't return for anything short of $30 million guaranteed, plus PPV points.

It's honestly amusing to see how terrible WME-IMG are at managing this whole thing; part of me actually wants Conor to continue to screw them even harder, just for the lols.

The best thing that ever happened for Conor's financial future in the UFC was to see his fellow PPV draws (Rousey, Lesnar, Jones, GSP) either leave the sport or get USADA'd, because now he's the only guy that can even get a PPV to do over 350k buys. They almost have no choice but to pay him whatever the fuck he wants, and he can keep raising the bar higher and higher, until he'd be making Mayweather-esque purses for every fight.
I think the WWE...i mean WME, already regret letting Conor fight Floyd. that's a good point, I don't think the Fertittas would have allowed it, or they might have who knows?
But Conor made that huge payday in boxing Floyd. I agree that's the big issue now. He brings numbers, i agree, but he's probably asking for way too much.

Back