Conor or Khabib

Its actually nice to see a classic striker vs grappler match-up again. I love the progression MMA has made, but because of the winning formula, everyone's pretty much the same overall. Nice to see a throwback to the old days

Conor by decision? That's a new one

On a side note has anyone tried Proper 12 yet? As usual everything here in the frozen wasteland takes forever to get to...

My thought process is this, Conor is expected to win by a early KO, if that doesnt happen early on, khabib is expected to win by a submission.

I dont see khabib getting ko'd early

I dont see Conor getting stopped by a submission either.

I predict a snoozefest lay and pray fight by khabib, and conor on the ground struggling to get up/out the majority of the time, without getting stopped.

I am predicting the fight going the distance, and someone winning by a decision.........who wins by decision? I dont care cause I am making money either way!

The only way i loose $$$ is if conor gets a ko or khabib gets a tapout........as long as those 2 things dont happen and the fight goes the distance, i come out on top.

My thought process is this, Conor is expected to win by a early KO, if that doesnt happen early on, khabib is expected to win by a submission.

I dont see khabib getting ko'd early

I dont see Conor getting stopped by a submission either.

I predict a snoozefest lay and pray fight by khabib, and conor on the ground struggling to get up/out the majority of the time, without getting stopped.

I am predicting the fight going the distance, and someone winning by a decision.........who wins by decision? I dont care cause I am making money either way!

The only way i loose $$$ is if conor gets a ko or khabib gets a tapout........as long as those 2 things dont happen and the fight goes the distance, i come out on top.
....guess we were off

on the other hand we got WWE entertainment and a bad image for the sport

....guess we were off

Went how I thought it might.

Yeah it didn't end well but the precedent was already set. The trash talk and antics in the build up to the fight set the precedent.

Then we act surprised when one of the fighters takes it seriously. Definitely bad on his part and especially of his team. But bad on everyone's part. It was a shit show.

Kind of reinstates my thinking that there are very few martial artists in MMA period.

....guess we were off

he needed to make it 1 more round for my pay day!!!

controversy sells.

Went how I thought it might.

Yeah it didn't end well but the precedent was already set. The trash talk and antics in the build up to the fight set the precedent.

Then we act surprised when one of the fighters takes it seriously. Definitely bad on his part and especially of his team. But bad on everyone's part. It was a shit show.

Kind of reinstates my thinking that there are very few martial artists in MMA period.
Yeah. I actually didn't expect it, thought it would be tense then go back to how it normally does, but then...r

Ended up being like a soccer game with salty fans

I didn't like Conor's performance.

He didn't show up at all last night. He was lethargic and tired from the beginning.
He couldn't move his feet or raise his hands. He ate that powerful right hand from such a distance. I mean he made a career of
countering this shit.

I think it was a combination of ring rust and the fact that mcgregor has pretty low endurance anyway.

He didn't show up at all last night. He was lethargic and tired from the beginning.
He couldn't move his feet or raise his hands. He ate that powerful right hand from such a distance. I mean he made a career of
countering this shit.

I think it was a combination of ring rust and the fact that mcgregor has pretty low endurance anyway.
He was gassing, probably didn't think Khabib's pressure was that intense and stress started to affect his breathing. He also got dropped which was surprising

He was gassing, probably didn't think Khabib's pressure was that intense and stress started to affect his breathing. He also got dropped which was surprising
Well everyone looks good until they meet Khabib. He is really something and.there is a reason why he is 27-0.

Connot looked like 10 kg heavier than him but Khabib had no problems controlling him.

I dont think Ferguson has a chance at all too. He has way too many flaws. Especially when trying to look flashy. To beat Khabib you have to be as precise at your actions as he is, taking minimum risks and developing a game plan.

The pressure from the first round was enough to exhaust him.
I saw him trembling in that round when Khabib had him on his ass and he was trapping his legs over and over again.

I think for all his bravado, when things go south he starts stressing out and that's why he gasses.
Maybe it's more like a mental thing than conditioning problem. I think he said so himself in the post fight interview in the Mayweather bout.
The weird thing is he wasn't like that in the past. With Chad Mendez for example.

Things I noticed.

Almost all of Conor's opponents get flattened while circling away from his left hand or trying to close the gap and running face first into it. Khabib circled towards Conor's power side and didn't try to jump across the gap to close distance, he pressured in and kept his feet under him in a good stance. Conor couldn't get the angle on his left hand that he usually does to snap his opponent's head around and knock them down, the punches went straight into Khabib's head and pushed him back and since he was in stance he could brace into it and absorb the hit.

Khabib has no defence for body shots, he just walked straight into every front kick and body punch from Conor. He didn't even try blocking or catching the leg for a takedown, he just kept eating them to the body. Spamming teeps & straight punches to the body and push kicks to the knee is a potential path to victory for future Khabib opponents, it'll slow him down and keep him stuck on the outside.

Overall, the fight was more competitive than I expected, with both fighters defending better against the other's strengths than I thought they would.

Last edited:
The weird thing is he wasn't like that in the past. With Chad Mendez for example.
The stakes have gotten higher for him since then

I think he's on another planet and actually buys his persona, and when he comes back to reality, the stress hits him in the face like a mac truck

countering this shit.

I don't think he was lethargic at all. He did extremely well trying to shrug off Khabib's attempts to take him to the floor, did a decent job trying to prevent his legs being locked down and did a pretty good job making it as difficult as possible for Khabib to pass his guard - while staying relatively calm. He did better than most of Khabib's previous opponents.

The problem was that Khabib's constant pressure and the threat of the takedown took a lot of strengths away from McGregor. He made a conscious decision to place more importance in preventing the takedown - the result was that his guard was very lowered and he was getting sucked into the type of fight/pace Khabib set.

A war of attrition is not the kind of fight McGregor wants to be in especially against someone who naturally has more in the gas tank.

The overhand right that caught McGregor was because the threat of the takedown was so real that he initially thought Khabib was going to level change on him & go for the legs. What Khabib actually did was very smart and it was a feint for an overhand right that he ate flush. Conor struggled with perceived level changes all night and I think had Khabib focused more on this - the fight might have ended a lot sooner.

The resulting gnp was some of the most vicious beating I've ever seen someone take on his back - you have to give McGregor credit for surviving that. That onslaught I feel took a lot out of Khabib and the third round was him waiting to recover and waiting for the second wind. That should have been the ideal moment for McGregor to turn it around - but he didn't have the tank & umph in his punches to do it. Also Khabib like I expected did a better job of defending himself on the feet that people gave him credit for.

There was a bit of ring rust there for sure. But I think that Khabib wasn't at his best either imho. I think he was too emotionally invested and should he have been more composed he probably would have completely shut McGregor out.

I think that McGregor also underestimated Khabib's striking - I thought a lot of people were overlooking it. He's not as adept as Conor but he's no slouch either. His striking is rudimentary but very effective/functional for what he needs it for. His jab was on point and he was catching Conor a lot more than people thought he would.

As far as the kicks go - I think they might have been the way to go. But I think Khabib was actually doing a decent job of avoiding a lot of it. You also have to have a gas tank to be able to throw kicks in the volumes needed to keep Khabib off for 5 rounds. Most of the stuff he got caught with was in the third round when he was trying to recover.

I don't think there should be a rematch. I would prefer to see the Tony vs Khabib fight. I think as well that should a rematch be made - Khabib will do a better job a second time around.

Conor really struggled imo more so with perceived level changes from grappling to striking. I think Khabib should have incorporated a lot more level changing and I think that if he does this in a rematch it might be a one sided whitewash for him again.

Things I noticed.

Almost all of Conor's opponents get flattened while circling away from his left hand or trying to close the gap and running face first into it. Khabib circled towards Conor's power side and didn't try to jump across the gap to close distance, he pressured in and kept his feet under him in a good stance. Conor couldn't get the angle on his left hand that he usually does to snap his opponent's head around and knock them down, the punches went straight into Khabib's head and pushed him back and since he was in stance he could brace into it and absorb the hit.

Khabib has no defence for body shots, he just walked straight into every front kick and body punch from Conor. He didn't even try blocking or catching the leg for a takedown, he just kept eating them to the body. Spamming teeps & straight punches to the body and push kicks to the knee is a potential path to victory for future Khabib opponents, it'll slow him down and keep him stuck on the outside.

Overall, the fight was more competitive than I expected, with both fighters defending better against the other's strengths than I thought the would.

Yeah I agree it is definitely a potential path to victory. But you'd need enough volume for it to pile up. I don't think McGregor will ever have enough juice in the tank to be able to do this though. I think someone like Tony could definitely.

I feel as well that Khabib has been steadily improving and his striking has made jumps/leaps. I mean just look at his jab. It ain't pretty or clean technique but it's very functional/effective for what he needs it for and it's only going to improve. I think as well that if he starts incorporating more of his ability to level change - grappling to striking & striking to grappling - and throwing feints into that mix - he'll be significantly more dangerous to deal with.

The level change for him that would work best would be grappling to striking - because his grappling is that much of a threat - he'll always have that split second to catch you with a strike. If an opponent anticipates the strike instead - he can switch to a striking to grappling level change & vice versa.

Last edited:
Mcgregor trained takedown defense without training takedowns that is equal to learning boxing defense without learning how to throw a punch, completely useless grappling coach or mcgregor is an ass or both.

Things I noticed.

Overall, the fight was more competitive than I expected, with both fighters defending better against the other's strengths than I thought they would.

I need to watch this because the sherdog play by play makes it sound like Conor had no defense to anything Khabib threw.

I wonder what McG's training for this fight was like, and I wonder if he regrets not taking a tune up fight for this.

I think McG lost the same way to Nate Diaz. I like to see a rematch. McG bounced back nice from his lost to Nate Diaz. I think he can do the same to Khabib. And McG fought Nate at WW. Khabib match and rematch is at LW. McG fought most of his career at FW. The possibility is good.

Back