Conor Mcreggor, Ken Shamrock and recreating the fighting Irish template for the masses

It's an old gimmick. These sports are full of them. Casuals never learn, that's what makes them casuals.

Because of street fighter 2 I thought Ken was a Japanese name. So I got a little confused...

They are both discovered and 'created'.

Outside of hardcore fans no one knows Ken is adopted thus he is and was widely considered Irish.

HW boxing went on a 10 year decline in the US in large part because 2 eastern european boxers were at the top not someone from the english speaking world. Then a bum of a boxer with zero pro experience generates $400 million fighting Mayweather, go figure.

Anyway whatever, this type of thing is for those who want to see things as they are and how this show actually works. If you dont then its up to you - enjoy the Mcreggor show I dont want to spoil your fun just ignore what I said.

You are right that certain nationalities and demographics sell better to American combat sports fans. And I do agree that the UFC has tried to push certain people that they thought would appeal to fans and have failed miserably (Sage Northcutt, PVZ, CM Punk). I just disagree that Conor is a manufactured product of the UFC. Conor is ACTUALLY Irish, and still lives in Ireland, no one made that up to make him more appealing to Americans. And he was already getting famous and knocking people out and talking shit back in Europe way before Dana White knew who he was. And the UFC never padded his record like a boxing promotion. He always fought the next best guy up, never bums, he’s about to do that again now when they could easily put him against an easier opponent just to make him look good. The guy is just a natural star and for some reason Americans love the “fighting” Irish.

Conor doesn't even look Irish. The only thing that makes his Irish ancestry legit is the way he acts drunk all the time.

Back