Conor McGregor 'won't return to the UFC until April' at the earliest says John Kavanagh

Between the Diaz and Mayweather fights, this guy has made more money in the last 2-3 years than just about every other MMA fighter combined. At this point it shouldn't be about the money. Is he a champion or not?

Who knows? I want to see him fight too but sometimes it is never enough for somebody. It was all about money with Mayweather until the very end and he was one of 3 athletes to have earned over $1 billion dollars. It is quite apparent Conor models a lot of his moves after Mayweather.

Conor can do what he wants. He has nothing to prove. He has made the most money out of anyone in the UFC and supports his family well. He did what he said out to do.

Exactly...right after he vacates the fucking belt.

Sucks for Conor if he tries to act like a big shot cuz the UFC can just offer him a shitty fight with a shitty payout and if he says no, its on him. He’s still under contract and can’t go fight anywhere else. He’ll waste away his years trying to “negotiate”.

At least that’s how it was in the Zuffa era. WME will probably bend over backwards for him to pay off the debt.

In one sense I agree....he seems to be holding up the LW title...and I can understand people calling him out for it...But he has never lost either title...but at some point, you have to defend...
The titles are just a gimmick to him . They should represent more than just beating a champion . Acting like one goes a long ways

It doesn't matter. No one serious considers his "belts" real. Its a manufactured title, Conor is a sham, and you've all bought wolf tickets.

He can wear all the fake belts he wants, it won't change the fact that his career is a joke. It won't change the fact that there are at LEAST 3 people waiting at LW who will flatline him, and AGAIN expose him as a middling gatekeeper at best.

Conor is much better at talking himself into money than he is at fighting. Joe Duffy would tap him again, Khabib would literally murder him and he'd never fight again, Tony would toy with him and TKO him easily, Gaethje would leave him laid out on the canvas twitching while Artem sobs in the corner, Aldo would destroy him in a rematch, Frankie would embarrass him badly, etc., etc.

Anyone at WW would beat the living dogshit out of him, he has zero power at 170.

Conor is a joke. That's it.

Did McGregor fuck your mother and murder your father? Chill out.

He beat champs and was legit champ of both. Eddie was a winnable fight, I'd back Diaz over him any day. Aldo was a great win. How many other great fighters couldn't beat Aldo, he was p4p king and knocking him off top spot is the reason he deserves respect as a fighter.

Not defending has been all about money and not what fans want. Also agree he would be a underdog against Tony and a massive one against Khabib. Any good wrestler should be able to make him look out of his depth on the ground but he has quick reflexes and KO power, he beats most Lw's standing but wouldn't cut it as a welterweight.

Forget belts, either he's the only man to achieve something or holding paper belts. Doesn't matter, he took out Aldo and that's why he is a great fighter, not a well rounded one but great at what he does.

Did McGregor fuck your mother and murder your father? Chill out.

He beat champs and was legit champ of both. Eddie was a winnable fight, I'd back Diaz over him any day. Aldo was a great win. How many other great fighters couldn't beat Aldo, he was p4p king and knocking him off top spot is the reason he deserves respect as a fighter.

Not defending has been all about money and not what fans want. Also agree he would be a underdog against Tony and a massive one against Khabib. Any good wrestler should be able to make him look out of his depth on the ground but he has quick reflexes and KO power, he beats most Lw's standing but wouldn't cut it as a welterweight.

Forget belts, either he's the only man to achieve something or holding paper belts. Doesn't matter, he took out Aldo and that's why he is a great fighter, not a well rounded one but great at what he does.
Lol @ the Aldo win being some kind of greatness. Aldo just got beat by Max and if you think that a 13 second fight isn't a fluke then you don't really watch much MMA. Also pretty clear that Conor has been ducking any kind of rematch with Aldo because he knows he'd get smoked. Conor would rather fight Nate 3 times for no reason at all then rematch the most dominant FW champ of all time in Aldo.

Well, If the woodley diaz fight happens and diaz somehow manages to win the belt, Conor might be a 3 belt champion come April.

There is more to it then this (Gate, Close circuit, etc.) but just to break it down in to the simplest of metrics.

Conor PPV: 1.5 million buys (Average of his last 3 PPV's) at $60/each = $90 Million. Subtract even 1/3 for Conor ($30 million) and profits are $60 million.

Ferguson PPV: 140,000 buys (Ferguson's last PPV) at $60/each = $8.4 Million. Subtract $500,000 for Tony and profits are $7.9 Million.

That is what we are talking about here. $60 million vs. $7.9 million. When the difference in PPV buys are that substantial this is what you get.

If you're going to "break it down to the simplest of metrics", at least get the math right... you're way off.

Yep. A substantial percentage of the ppv cost goes to the ppv company right of the top.

He clearly didn't read my earlier post, where I did a similar breakdown. The PPV broadcaster takes nearly half, and it costs a fair amount of money to put the event on in the first place. I figure right now they're splitting ~$35-40m, and suspect Conor's looking at around $15m after PPV points, leaving the UFC $20-25m for their end.

When Conor demands more for his share than the UFC makes on their end, I would expect things to sour quickly. Giving Conor an ownership percentage will apply to the company's annual profits long after he's gone and not fighting anymore and in essence, for events he's not even a part of. If anything, that alone is reason enough for the UFC to NOT give it to him and not an ideal solution. He could always buy into the ownership group, but he just wants it given to him for free.

With Conor reaching the ceiling on pay, and unable to get a piece of the UFC ownership group, things were always destined to come to a head soon enough. Both Bellator and Viacom are well aware now of what dealing with Conor involves, and I think they'll put a lot of thought into whether or not it's worth getting in bed with him.

If you're going to "break it down to the simplest of metrics", at least get the math right... you're way off.

Sure aren't. Was it the disclosed PPV numbers you have a problem with or the simple math after that you aren't grasping?

Sure aren't. Was it the disclosed PPV numbers you have a problem with or the simple math after that you aren't grasping?

How about the fact the UFC doens't take all the PPV revenues? The UFC splits the PPV revenues with the broadcaster, which has already been stated more than once in just this thread alone. The UFC only gets half of your estimate which skews all your other numbers.

So what is more fucking difficult and complicated for you to understand... math or reading comprehension.?

He clearly didn't read my earlier post, where I did a similar breakdown. The PPV broadcaster takes nearly half, and it costs a fair amount of money to put the event on in the first place. I figure right now they're splitting ~$35-40m, and suspect Conor's looking at around $15m after PPV points, leaving the UFC $20-25m for their end.

When Conor demands more for his share than the UFC makes on their end, I would expect things to sour quickly. Giving Conor an ownership percentage will apply to the company's annual profits long after he's gone and not fighting anymore and in essence, for events he's not even a part of. If anything, that alone is reason enough for the UFC to NOT give it to him and not an ideal solution. He could always buy into the ownership group, but he just wants it given to him for free.

With Conor reaching the ceiling on pay, and unable to get a piece of the UFC ownership group, things were always destined to come to a head soon enough. Both Bellator and Viacom are well aware now of what dealing with Conor involves, and I think they'll put a lot of thought into whether or not it's worth getting in bed with him.

What you aren't accounting for is the difference between a Conor PPV and a Ferguson PPV. No matter what way you slice it 1.5 million buys is creating more net profit for the UFC than a 140,000 buy Tony Ferguson headlined PPV. Your earlier post neglects this as well. Even paying Conor a larger percentage of the pie than Ferguson they still net several times more. Production costs would remain largely stable through both PPVs.

I'll use your numbers here to illuminate this for you. You say they are splitting $35-$40m for a PPV? Well that must be a Conor PPV because nobody else is pulling those kind of numbers (That is quite low as revenue from private purchase PPV alone would put a typical Conor PPV at $90 million even without factoring in closed circuit and streaming). By your count that leaves the UFC with $20-$25million for their end. A Ferguson headlined 140,000 PPV isn't even GROSSING $10 million in PPV money, even including closed circuit, but I will use it. Using your figures that leaves the UFC and Tony to split $5 million. Tony gets a half a million and the UFC pockets $4.5 millon. $4.5 million Ferguson PPV revenue vs. the $20-25 for the Conor PPV (again this is low). It's an easy choice.

How about the fact the UFC doens't take all the PPV revenues? The UFC splits the PPV revenues with the broadcaster, which has already been stated more than once in just this thread alone. The UFC only gets half of your estimate which skews all your other numbers.

So what is more fucking difficult and complicated for you to understand... math or reading comprehension.?

Because half of $90 million is still more than half of $8.5 million. Even factoring in Conor getting a full 1/3 of the revenue they are coming out several times ahead vs. a card headlined by a guy like Ferguson who only makes half a million. What part of this was hard for you?

What you aren't accounting for is the difference between a Conor PPV and a Ferguson PPV. No matter what way you slice it 1.5 million buys is creating more net profit for the UFC than a 140,000 buy Tony Ferguson headlined PPV. Your earlier post neglects this as well. Even paying Conor a larger percentage of the pie than Ferguson they still net several times more. Production costs would remain largely stable through both PPVs.

I'll use your numbers here to illuminate this for you. You say they are splitting $35-$40m for a PPV? Well that must be a Conor PPV because nobody else is pulling those kind of numbers (That is quite low as revenue from private purchase PPV alone would put a typical Conor PPV at $90 million even without factoring in closed circuit and streaming). By your count that leaves the UFC with $20-$25million for their end. A Ferguson headlined 140,000 PPV isn't even GROSSING $10 million in PPV money, even including closed circuit, but I will use it. Using your figures that leaves the UFC and Tony to split $5 million. Tony gets a half a million and the UFC pockets $4.5 millon. $4.5 million Ferguson PPV revenue vs. the $20-25 for the Conor PPV (again this is low). It's an easy choice.

Wouldn't it have been a lot simpler to just say " I screwed up."? Do you even know what Closed Circuit TV is, or do you just like the way it sounds?

I heard his management basically said he was never scheduled for 219.

UFC tossed him a get out of jail free card and he continues to bite the hand that feeds him

No one is bigger than the game. Nothing lasts forever and that includes Conor's fame and fortune if he continues the way he is.

There's always been discussions of 'how will UFC go on without 'x' fighter? Guys like Shamrock, Ortiz, Chuck, Brock etc.

There's always the next guy or girl out there

Yeah, history is right there to prove your point.

That being said, while I've never been a Conor fan, I said it the moment these problems started to show up: This was going to be the one fight where I was gonna root for him. The UFC pretty much made their bed by giving up to every demand he made, and letting him run the show. Now it's time to deal with it.

Now we even have De La Hoya asking for a shot against him, and considering the precedent has been already set with the circus that was Money/Mac, it wouldn't surprise me if he tries to go for that one as well. Hell, he'd probably make more money in that fight than in three UFC bouts combined.

It's sad to see him waste his prime like this.
This.

Hos game worked while he was taking fights frequently.

Now he's doing exactly what he said he wouldn't do, which is slow down divisions.

This is ridiculous.

Back