Conor McGregor Criticizes MayMac Ref: ‘I knew I wasn’t going to get a fair shake’

Was the ref biased?

• Total voters
Of course he was biased -- we all saw the pre-fight instructions.

Whether or not he was unfair is another issue...

The ref was biased in the sense that it was clear he was very concerned that McGregor was going to do something prohibited by boxing rules and was keeping a close eye on him, which is understandable. McGregor was stepping into a sport where the powers that be did not want him to win and they would lose face if he did, but he should have known that going in.
During the fight Floyd turned his back many times without warning or stoppage, however McGregor committed many more fouls overall and got away with a fair amount of illegal tactics.
With regard to the fight being stopped, it was a good stop. The ref could have let it go on until he was knocked down, but Conor was in big trouble and Floyd smelled blood and was dismantling him. Personally I think the ref saved him from additional brain trauma.
Conor should have actually done what he said he was going to do, namely go all out in the first 4 rounds. It was his only chance IMO.

The same ref that was letting him get away with rabbit punches?

Last edited:
Conor knows that he got fair treatment from the ref and that the stoppage was a good one.

He's just hoping that he can make Floyd mad enough to prove him wrong in a rematch. Being Floyd's B side and losing again will make him as much as 5 to 10 UFC fights, with a lot less damage.

An MMA guy was recently killed in the ring because the ref let him go on and he wouldn't fall. Floyd could have killed Conor or brain damaged him. Conor should be thanking the ref.

The Ref let Conor hit Floyd behind the head when it was obviously on purpose and he didn't even take 1 point lol

Then the ref saved Conor from hitting the canvas to safe his image.

Conor is fucking delusional.

ha. he was getting tagged left and right, hands down, stumbling around, and throwing no punches back for like the last minute.
Conor is a clown.

This guy keeps getting worse and worse and worse and worse and worse. The disrespect, the delusion, the conspiracy theories. Did he forget he hit Floyd with dozens of illegal punches and not one single point was taken away from him?

I've seen many fights stopped where the guy wanted to keep going and felt robbed.

Conor looked at the ref like he was Santa bringing a present on Christmas, he was relieved not mad. It doesn't matter what he says, the smile on his face said it all.

When a fighter purposely turns his back as a defence, rabbit punches should be allowed.

“When we came face to face and we were doing the rules thing, he was only staring at me. I’m looking at him staring at me and I could see in my peripheral vision that he was looking at me and not looking at Floyd,” he said.

“I was going to say, ‘He’s fighting as well, mate. Give him the f**king rules. I don’t know, what was going on there?

so floyd, arguably the best ever, 49 fights into his unbeaten record, needs to be told the rules again, when theres a guy whos never done it before standing opposite him

i always thought it was an act with conor but perhaps he really is that thick

When a fighter purposely turns his back as a defence, rabbit punches should be allowed.

conor was either moving to floyds back or literally turning him around, then punching the back of floyds head. make no mistake, conor was trying to cheat every way he knew. when floyd would duck, conor was bringing hammerfists down on his head, landed two low blows, and punched floyd while the ref was standing between them waiting to restart the fight. there were multiple opportunities for conor to actually be fined during the fight. but even with all his cheap shots he remains the first man floyd has ever walked down

The ref was biased in the sense that it was clear he was very concerned that McGregor was going to do something prohibited by boxing rules and was keeping a close eye on him, which is understandable. McGregor was stepping into a sport where the powers that be did not want him to win and they would lose face if he did, but he should have known that going in.
During the fight Floyd turned his back many times without warning or stoppage, however McGregor committed many more fouls overall and got away with a fair amount of illegal tactics.
With regard to the fight being stopped, it was a good stop. The ref could have let it go on until he was knocked down, but Conor was in big trouble and Floyd smelled blood and was dismantling him. Personally I think the ref saved him from additional brain trauma.
Conor should have actually done what he said he was going to do, namely go all out in the first 4 rounds. It was his only chance IMO.

Outside of the grandstanding during the instructions, Byrd wasn't biased against Conor at all.

RE Mayweather "turning his back," that's not what happened at all. Conor was pushing him into that position and taking his back. This is something that the boxing commentators who called the fight except for Malignaggi got wrong, but all of the MMA journalists who do fight breakdowns (including Conor fanboy Robin Black) got right in their post fight-analysis.

Conor was taking Mayweather's back deliberately and then throwing rabbit punches. He didn't get one serious warning (i.e. where the ref stops the action and lets the fighter know that he's committed an infraction), and he didn't get a point taken. Honestly, he could have be DQ'd for all the times that he threw hammerfists. Byrd actually did a great job of giving Conor the benefit of the doubt in those situations because if he'd penalized him or stopped the fight, there would have been a fucking riot and people would be complaining about getting screwed out of their money for buying the PPV (which is ironically actually what happened anyway).

Additionally, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Mayweather's reaction when he was pushed into those positions. Boxers are not trained to fight or defend with their backs turned, so he simply defended the back of his head and waited for the break.

Finally, Conor complaining about the stoppage is laughable. He was literally staggering around for over a minute getting while hit with clean shots and not even attempting to throw back. Not only is that a good stoppage by boxing standards, it would also constitute a good stoppage in MMA. That's exactly how Rousey/Nunes got stopped and, outside of Michael Rappaport, I don't remember anybody complaining about it.

...and what the fuck does the fact that Robert Byrd is married to Adelaide Byrd have to do with anything? I'd say that it's surprising that Conor has so many fans who blindly accept all of his ridiculous and patently false statements, but then I have to remember that the incumbent POTUS has the same kind of following.

conor was either moving to floyds back or literally turning him around, then punching the back of floyds head. make no mistake, conor was trying to cheat every way he knew. when floyd would duck, conor was bringing hammerfists down on his head, landed two low blows, and punched floyd while the ref was standing between them waiting to restart the fight. there were multiple opportunities for conor to actually be fined during the fight. but even with all his cheap shots he remains the first man floyd has ever walked down

^This. I'm still surprised that there hasn't been more pushback on the notion that Mayweather was doing that deliberately. After the first couple of rounds, he knew Conor had nothing for him and started walking him down.

Typical. People like Conor can never take responsibility for their shortcomings. <45>

The excuses have been pouring in lately from conor lol. Who would have thought, his fake humble act didnt last very long.

His fanboys will eat this up too and count it as a victory.

so floyd, arguably the best ever, 49 fights into his unbeaten record, needs to be told the rules again, when theres a guy whos never done it before standing opposite him

i always thought it was an act with conor but perhaps he really is that thick
You're the one being thick. Why do you think the ref repeats the rules to boxers before each boxing fight? Why did the ref do it in the GGG Canelo fight? Is it because he thought those two dudes never boxed? Hmmmmmmmmmm....

You're the one being thick. Why do you think the ref repeats the rules to boxers before each boxing fight? Why did the ref do it in the GGG Canelo fight? Is it because he thought those two dudes never boxed? Hmmmmmmmmmm....

regardless. in the conor vs floyd scenario, you really think the ref is going to explain this stuff to floyd, or to the other guy who is from another sport? come on man. look what happened, regardless of him singling conor out. low blows, punches to the back of the head, wrestling, conor actually tried to shoot a takedown at one point before he got finished, conor punched floyd while the ref was waiting to restart the fight, conor punching floyd from behind, and conor throwing about 500 hammerfists.

clearly the ref didnt do ENOUGH to warn conor, because conor STILL couldnt follow the rules

^This. I'm still surprised that there hasn't been more pushback on the notion that Mayweather was doing that deliberately. After the first couple of rounds, he knew Conor had nothing for him and started walking him down.

paulie pointed it out during the fight and got shouted down by the other commentators. conor even said in his post fight interviews that he "wasted a lot of energy taking floyds back". ie, not only did it happen, but conor said the effort of it was a waste of energy.

floyd certainly has his haters as well, maybe more so than conor

Back