Conor made Diaz resort to clinching and wrestling. Who else has ever done that to a Diaz?

4dnHD0p.gif
Come on now...its only running when Conor does it.

Actually I see nothing wrong with what Nate is doing here nor with what Conor did. Fighters can take a second to re-set. Look at Nate's face, its hardly like Conor was running all fight...or at all.

Resort? It's part of fighting MMA..Jim Miller fight comes to mind though. Lots of good grappling in that one from Nate

I feel like this is not being properly acknowledged.

I am a huge fan of the Diaz's. I have watched all their fights and was watching them long before I'd even heard of Conor.

Now, to beat a Diaz, its well known that you do not stand in front of them, let alone move forward on them. They are typically beaten by being outwrestled or ocassionally outstruck via a game-plan using lots of kicking and movement (think Condit v Nick Diaz - although I actually thought Nick won that 48-47; or Nate v Josh T). Even in those instances, a Diaz has never resorted for extended periods of time to clinching against the cage and takedowns, let alone doing so to avoid striking at distance.

It was a very close fight but I do think Conor won. However, I have only watched it once and plan to re-watch...and who knows, I may re-assess.

But what is amazing and being overlooked is that Conor stood in front of and walked down Diaz, and so comprehensively outstruck him that Diaz (and the Diaz's always complain about this type of gameplan) resorted to clinch fighting and repeated takedown attempts.

Conor's striking/skills are sublime. His cardio is what's letting him down just a little bit, although he still fought hard for five rounds...well that and Diaz's iron chin and insane toughness.

both diaz's actually do it quite a lot

That what the only way to stop Conor from running away. Grab him and hold him.

It was clear Diaz wanted to hug, and it is clear Conor jogged away to reset to STRIKE.

Why not be honest? Only one of them was trying to avoid striking.

Also.. Nate resorted to butt scooting. Imagine how much worse the haters would be if it was Conor who did this. Great fight nonetheless. Both fighters deserve praise.

Take it you Didn't see when Nick fought zaromskis and spent 2 solid minutes kneeing him in the leg.

Point being the clinch is a part of their game, regardless of how effective nate was with it Saturday night. It isn't some news that nate tried to make conor feel his size and box on the inside, that's a tactic his brother made famous.

I'll have to rewatch the Zaromskis fight - anyway I didn't say that Nate/Nick never clinch up.

In any event clinching Conor up against the cage is different to boxing on the inside. And Nate tried for multiple takedowns. When has a Diaz ever done that against an opponent willing to stand in front of them and strike?

I'll have to rewatch the Zaromskis fight - anyway I didn't say that Nate/Nick never clinch up.

In any event clinching Conor up against the cage is different to boxing on the inside. And Nate tried for multiple takedowns. When has a Diaz ever done that against an opponent willing to stand in front of them and strike?

First kj noons fight

Are you people that delusional?

The Diaz bros do their best work off the fence. Take a look at the Zaromskis fight for instance, Nick had Marius up against the fence and was kneeing his thigh while clinching up. Also, Nate only went for 7 take downs over a 25 minute fight it's not light he was spamming take downs.

The reason Nate was going for TD's is because Conor wasn't as physically strong as most WW's he's faced in the past. Against DHK and Rory, Nate could do literally nothing to stop them because they were physically much stronger then him.

But what is amazing and being overlooked is that Conor stood in front of and walked down Diaz, and so comprehensively outstruck him that Diaz (and the Diaz's always complain about this type of gameplan) resorted to clinch fighting and repeated takedown attempts.

It was body shots that damaged Diaz' gas tank, imo. There's one shot where he caught him to the side of the body with a right hook in the 4th and you can see Diaz going straight for the clinch - one thing, though, is he never shows he's hurt.

Another thing I've being listening to is that Diaz purposefully went to the ground/dropped to try and lure Conor in to his guard like Werdum tried to do with Overeem in their fight in Strikeforce and with Fedor - like it's a BJJ 'thing' or because his leg was smashed. The first two knockdowns looked like clean shots, but take a look at the 3rd one, looked a bit odd. He definitely got wobbled just before the 1st knockdown and the second he got caught around the ear/side of the neck.

You can see by his reaction he was stunned momentarily.

Nate had a fucked up knee coming into the fight and probably needed a few breaks from all the leg kicks.

I am a huge fan of the Diaz's. I have watched all their fights and was watching them long before I'd even heard of Conor.

Now, to beat a Diaz, its well known that you do not stand in front of them, let alone move forward on them. They are typically beaten by being outwrestled or ocassionally outstruck via a game-plan using lots of kicking and movement (think Condit v Nick Diaz - although I actually thought Nick won that 48-47; or Nate v Josh T). Even in those instances, a Diaz has never resorted for extended periods of time to clinching against the cage and takedowns, let alone doing so to avoid striking at distance.

It was a very close fight but I do think Conor won. However, I have only watched it once and plan to re-watch...and who knows, I may re-assess.

Conor's striking/skills are sublime. His cardio is what's letting him down just a little bit, although he still fought hard for five rounds...well that and Diaz's iron chin and insane toughness.

Lol nice job 7/10. Very realistic.

Jesus. Conor boys are getting more desperate as the days go by, trying anything to big up a revenge mission that went badly wrong and featured McG getting pounded at points, running at others, and relying on a razor-thin decision to "get even".

he had to hold onto him to keep him from running away.

I actually think the clinch fighting on the fence also sapped some of Diaz's energy.

People laugh about Conors team saying he was winning clinch, but that is not far fetched at all. And I think he got way more out of it long term helping gas Diaz then if they were just boxing.
To say Conor got something out of the clinch as far as winning is delusional. What gassed Nate is that huge flurry at the end of round 2 and the constant beat down in round 3, he slowed but even still he was putting the pressure on Conor.

Are you people that delusional?

The Diaz bros do their best work off the fence. Take a look at the Zaromskis fight for instance, Nick had Marius up against the fence and was kneeing his thigh while clinching up. Also, Nate only went for 7 take downs over a 25 minute fight it's not light he was spamming take downs.

The reason Nate was going for TD's is because Conor wasn't as physically strong as most WW's he's faced in the past. Against DHK and Rory, Nate could do literally nothing to stop them because they were physically much stronger then him.
NCAA Nate showed up because he was dropped and hurt badly on the feet. I don't have a huge issue with it, but facts are facts.

Resort? It's part of fighting MMA..Jim Miller fight comes to mind though. Lots of good grappling in that one from Nate
Nate rocked Miller with a punch at range and then submitted him. (Miller said it was the hardest he had ever been punched).

T

TS you are just a bit too wordy don't you think? I totally agree making Diaz afraid of the standup is pretty incredible. When Conor was outlandish along with his superior power, Nate 's cardio advantage didn't matter anymore.

Yeah, from walking their opponent down and boxing them up, not clinging onto their opponent for dear life.

I think conor was able to rest during that time. Cause he seemed fresher after coming out of that clinch. So it didn't really make him more tired.

Back