Conor made Diaz resort to clinching and wrestling. Who else has ever done that to a Diaz?

MMA-Aficionado

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I feel like this is not being properly acknowledged.

I am a huge fan of the Diaz's. I have watched all their fights and was watching them long before I'd even heard of Conor.

Now, to beat a Diaz, its well known that you do not stand in front of them, let alone move forward on them. They are typically beaten by being outwrestled or ocassionally outstruck via a game-plan using lots of kicking and movement (think Condit v Nick Diaz - although I actually thought Nick won that 48-47; or Nate v Josh T). Even in those instances, a Diaz has never resorted for extended periods of time to clinching against the cage and takedowns, let alone doing so to avoid striking at distance.

It was a very close fight but I do think Conor won. However, I have only watched it once and plan to re-watch...and who knows, I may re-assess.

But what is amazing and being overlooked is that Conor stood in front of and walked down Diaz, and so comprehensively outstruck him that Diaz (and the Diaz's always complain about this type of gameplan) resorted to extended clinch fighting and repeated takedown attempts.

Conor's striking/skills are sublime. His cardio is what's letting him down just a little bit, although he still fought hard for five rounds...well that and Diaz's iron chin and insane toughness.

Last edited:
That's what I thought

If you watch either Diaz a lot of their best work comes against the fence

Yeah, from walking their opponent down and boxing them up, not clinging onto their opponent for dear life.

KJ Noons, at least for how long the first fight went on.

True...and particularly in Nick's case, but that's via pushing someone to the fence and unloading with combinations and vicious body shots.

They don't usually push someone to the fence and clinch up for extended periods, let alone go for takedowns.

Nick clinched the shit out of Marius

That what the only way to stop Conor from running away. Grab him and hold him.

He's actually done it quite a bit in his fights. Go watch them.

I actually think the clinch fighting on the fence also sapped some of Diaz's energy.

People laugh about Conors team saying he was winning clinch, but that is not far fetched at all. And I think he got way more out of it long term helping gas Diaz then if they were just boxing.

KJ Noons, at least for how long the first fight went on.
Wrong.
Diaz and his tissue like skin stood with a boxer and got cut like a razor would cut a grape. Ref was scared and doctor had to stop it.

That what the only way to stop Conor from running away. Grab him and hold him.
4dnHD0p.gif

Yeah, from walking their opponent down and boxing them up, not clinging onto their opponent for dear life.

Take it you Didn't see when Nick fought zaromskis and spent 2 solid minutes kneeing him in the leg.

Point being the clinch is a part of their game, regardless of how effective nate was with it Saturday night. It isn't some news that nate tried to make conor feel his size and box on the inside, that's a tactic his brother made famous.

Good question... & point TS.

The Diaz broz usually stick to the boxing as long as they can. Nate sure had a tendency to clinch this time.

It's just smart strategy for the Diaz broz to mix it up though if their boxing isn't dominating at the moment. Will probably see more of that in Nate/Conor 3

Wrong.
Diaz and his tissue like skin stood with a boxer and got cut like a razor would cut a grape. Ref was scared and doctor had to stop it.
Lol what? Diaz gets dropped early, and then keeps trying just awful takedowns over and over again. Then the fight is stopped due to a cut, which he received because he couldn't get the fight to the floor.

I figured that Nate would expect Conor to be much more energy-efficient this time around, and therefore clinch/wrestle with a ton of forward pressure right out of the gate, essentially FORCING Conor to expend the energy he was rightfully looking to reserve. I'm surprised we didn't see more of it from Nate.

Back