Conor Is Still Criminally Underrated

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by c0rbin9, Aug 10, 2018.

1. c0rbin9

c0rbin9 Yellow Belt

His initial run through the featherweight division was effortless domination, and it doesn't get enough credit. Nobody mentions the fact that he fights injured (Max Holloway and Chad Mendes), faces whoever is available when an opponent pulls out, and generally does not give a shit who they put in front of him. 3/7 of his featherweight fights were with all time greats in the division, fights he dominated from start to finish.

Most fighters, even the great ones, usually take a little damage over the course of many fights. In McGregor's first seven fights in the UFC, he barely got hit at all, 5/7 received "Performance of the Night" bonuses, and were just flawless, effortless knockout victories that made his elite opponents look like amateurs and his amateur opponents look like bums off the street.

On top of all this he fights Nate Diaz on short notice at 170, dominates Diaz until he gasses, and then avenges the loss, again at 170, instead of returning to his own weight class and chalking up the loss to being outweighed like most fighters would have done.

He gets better every fight. His latest fight with Alvarez was the best we've seen - how about the KO combo where he landed 4 punches while Eddie was falling in midair? Just crazy.

The hate he gets is unbelievable. He's a knockout artist with unparalleled technique - he should be considered in the same breath as the other greats at this point, yet here we are debating with half the forum that he's just some playboy moneymaker clown who will be exposed.

2. Reach4theSky

Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

Interesting title choice...

[​IMG]

3. I WILL CUT YOU

I WILL CUT YOU Calamity from the Heavens

4. ColombianFist

ColombianFist "Es mejor ser rico que ser pobre"

if he would have defended the FW belt and not chasing titles and buses he would have been more respected as a fighter but he only cares for money. and now with him as co-owner/co-promotor he will only fight when he finds benefit for him.

5. peacemaster

peacemaster Brown Belt

Conor is the definition of an over rated fighter

What is wrong with you people ?

6. Sjb1888

Sjb1888 Silver Belt

7. c0rbin9

c0rbin9 Yellow Belt

Just because he is a huge celebrity doesn't mean he's overrated.

Stick to the facts and consider his resume. @PROlogic on this forum said it best, if he beats Khabib that will be the second 10+ year undefeated fighter in their prime he has beaten - Aldo at 25-1 and Khabib at 26-0. No other MMA fighter has come close to that, and he has done it in the most stacked divisions in the sport!

All the excuses and "but what if..." from the anti-Conor crowd could be said about any great fighter as active as Conor. Jones gets exposed in his first fight with young fighter his size (Gustaffson), Silva was fighting bums, GSP fought for decisions, etc.

jojoRed, PROlogic, thisISjoel and 2 others like this.
  8. c0rbin9

c0rbin9 Yellow Belt

A lot of MMA fans have this Hollywood idea that to be a great fighter you have to be this humble, respectful, Gracie-type gentleman killer. The truth is the competition is cage fighting, and some wild crazy Irishman isn't necessarily a bad fighter just because he doesn't fit the stereotype of being an honorbound bushido artist.

It's the same uniqueness that makes him great that makes it easy for people to caricature him as a buffoon - the lopsided, quick knockouts make it easy for people to say the victory was a fluke; his technical mastery of primarily using his hands makes people think he is imbalanced elsewhere (he isn't), the extreme self-confidence makes people think he is BSing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    INTERL0PER and thisISjoel like this.
  9. DoctorNick

DoctorNick Blue Belt

It is well known I dislike Conor, for his antics and WWE gimmick. The dude is a good fighter, obviously, when he fights. Here are my issues with him being considered a GOAT.

He should've rematched Aldo, I'm my opinion that is the epitome of luck, a 13 second KO of a guy who was on a massive streak. If he knocks him out again, obviously his first win is infinitely more credible.

He fought a short notice Chad, who obviously gassed because of it. For the record I still think he would've beat full camp Mendes, but we'll never know.

He fights tiny Eddie for the LW title, when at that point it was well known Conor destroys dudes smaller than him. Impressive, but I don't see LW as moving up for him, it's obviously his home.

If he actually stays active and beats Khabib, Tony, and Lee or whoever else is at the top 3, obviously the GOAT talk becomes hard to ignore.

datsyuk, El Fernas and faustian like this.
  10. Slatersan

Slatersan Blue Belt

Underrated lmao this dude has 75% of ufc fans below him waiting for his ball sweat to drip in their mouth.

11. noah1212

noah1212 Drink the Kool-Aid Platinum Member

The dude gets more threads where users profess their love to him than any other fighter in the UFC

Arm Barbarian likes this.
  12. Kobra420

Kobra420 Sweep The Leg.

Fk @PROlogic.......
    As active as Conor? He is the most inactive Champion in Combat Sports history....
    Conor would need to fight, not hide, while healthy for two years.

Arm Barbarian likes this.
  13. Wicked_1

Wicked_1 Purple Belt

Conor is a great striker, and is very entertaining. I like watching him fight, but out of the cage its just fluff. I dont think he makes the sport better because he obviously dont care about it. He never defended the belts he won beating smaller guys. He always looked like a skeleton at weigh ins just to have an advantage. Its something a lot of fighters do so fair game. In the same respect he doesnt gain grratness points in people who know fighting, by beating smaller guys yet losing to mediocre diaz. Its the same as when they pushed rhonda. Real fans knew she wasnt really great... And had a lot of holes in her game. When she got killed by HH it showed. They called her the greatest ever, when in reality cyborg would kill her every time. Conor has holes in his game that will be shown soon like they were vs diaz. If diaz had any kind of takedowns he would have beat conor 2x. But he has shit takedowns. When he fights khabib, or lee he will be taken down just like vs mendez. Unfortunately for him khabib wont do stupid thinv and lose position like chad did. I think what bothers me most about conor/rhonds etc are how gullible the fans are and how much they just believe anything they hear. When conor lost to nate, they were so sold on him it didnt even matter. Watching him roll and give up showed his true fighting spirit. I like exciting fighters.. Its entertaining.. Old school guys like wandy, or shogun up to modern guys like zabit or sugar sean... Are all entertaining as fuk to watch. Conor is in there too, and gets props for changing how fighters get paid now and in the future ufc.

14. Ares Black

Ares Black Asteroid Belt

The word you are looking for is overrated.

15. ThePatriot

ThePatriot Black Belt

His skillsets more balanced than Rhonda's, he's kinda like a lesser Anderson, where they both don't have great wrestling

Conor has more power while Anderson was better all around and on the juice as well

Wicked_1 likes this.
  16. c0rbin9

c0rbin9 Yellow Belt

People ignore his victories over top caliber fighters like they didn't happen - Aldo defeated in 13 seconds, Mendes 2nd round TKO, Alvarez lopsided beating TKO

SOAzmayesh likes this.
  17. boxingskills

boxingskills Training to break world records.

Criminally under rated.

You heard it here first Sherbros. Under rating Conor gets your ass jail time.

18. markg171

markg171 Silver Belt

Being the first ever champ champ is a bigger deal than beating Aldo or Holloway once again.

SOAzmayesh and c0rbin9 like this.
  19. johncola

johncola Black Belt

[​IMG]

jojoRed and SOAzmayesh like this.
  20. johncola

johncola Black Belt

I'd hazard a guess that maybe their brains work better than yours?

Tankeray likes this.