Conjugate Doesn’t Work for Raw Lifters

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.elitefts.com/education/12-week-conjugate-program-for-raw-powerlifting/

On week 10 of this now and I can say I’ve made no appreciable gains despite following the program to a T. Switching exercises may make training more fun but when it’s time to ME that lift again, don’t expect a PR. Also all the boards, bands and whistles are dog shit unless you’re equipped. Wholly disappointed in this experience. Sorry I ever betrayed you, Father Wendler. 5/3/1 I’m coming back, baby.

https://www.elitefts.com/education/12-week-conjugate-program-for-raw-powerlifting/

On week 10 of this now and I can say I’ve made no appreciable gains despite following the program to a T. Switching exercises may make training more fun but when it’s time to ME that lift again, don’t expect a PR. Also all the boards, bands and whistles are dog shit unless you’re equipped. Wholly disappointed in this experience. Sorry I ever betrayed you, Father Wendler. 5/3/1 I’m coming back, baby.

sheiko-1030x655.jpg

I have been waiting for you...

So are you, like, a strong guy already, or an average guy who lifts, or a beginner?

Personally I need more time than ten weeks before I feel I can evaluate if a training program works or not (I'd basically need to run two training cycles following the same program, so I can compare them and determine if I'm making any consistent progress). Depending on how long a cycle is in the program, that would mean anything between, say, 16 to 32 weeks.

If I just switch to an entirely new program and run one cycle, I wouldn't draw any conclusions regardless of if my lifts went down, stayed the same or even went up. And I definitely would not start drawing conclusions in the middle of the cycle.

What’s the hardest Sheiko routine?

Probably one of the 4 day candidate master of sport routines just in terms of the sheer volume you need to do. However, the sheiko routines are designed so that you hit every lift with the possible exception of test day, so it's maybe not ''hard'' in the same way that westside is, where you're maxing out every ME day, albeit sometimes on some silly exercise.

So are you, like, a strong guy already, or an average guy who lifts, or a beginner?

Personally I need more time than ten weeks before I feel I can evaluate if a training program works or not (I'd basically need to run two training cycles following the same program, so I can compare them and determine if I'm making any consistent progress). Depending on how long a cycle is in the program, that would mean anything between, say, 16 to 32 weeks.

If I just switch to an entirely new program and run one cycle, I wouldn't draw any conclusions regardless of if my lifts went down, stayed the same or even went up. And I definitely would not start drawing conclusions in the middle of the cycle.
Bench was at 405 and squat and diddly over 600 before starting the program. I just feel switching up movements too often detracts from progress.

Probably one of the 4 day candidate master of sport routines just in terms of the sheer volume you need to do. However, the sheiko routines are designed so that you hit every lift with the possible exception of test day, so it's maybe not ''hard'' in the same way that westside is, where you're maxing out every ME day, albeit sometimes on some silly exercise.
Am I supposed to be PRing every ME session on the same exercise as well? Or just a max for that day ?

I’ll keep this in mind

Am I supposed to be PRing every ME session on the same exercise as well? Or just a max for that day ?

I think you're supposed to go balls to the wall on whatever your ME lift is, but that won't necessarily be a PR. I think Louis' idea is that even if you can't set PR's on your main lifts all the time, there's probably some lift on which you can set a new PR.

Bench was at 405 and squat and diddly over 600 before starting the program.

I'd rate that as pretty advanced. Did Wendler stop working for you, or how come you tried conjugate?

I'd rate that as pretty advanced. Did Wendler stop working for you, or how come you tried conjugate?
Wanted something different. I did Smolov to push through some squat plateaus and just happened to see this on the internet and it looked interesting.

So this post was made because I was salty about my bench workout today....turns out I was using too narrow of a grip :rolleyes: Moved my pinkies to the rings and the weight felt fine.

How many days per week do you train now?
4 days and I sometimes skip rest days depending on my work schedule. I know, I know, shouldn’t do that but my job is so low impact it’s like laying on the couch and getting paid.

4 days and I sometimes skip rest days depending on my work schedule. I know, I know, shouldn’t do that but my job is so low impact it’s like laying on the couch and getting paid.

I think you could probably rock the 37-30-32 sheiko sequence and get something out of it, especially if 5/3/1 is still working for you. You can also stack the prep blocks, for example 37-37-32, or 37-30-37-30-32.

I think you could probably rock the 37-30-32 sheiko sequence and get something out of it, especially if 5/3/1 is still working for you. You can also stack the prep blocks, for example 37-37-32, or 37-30-37-30-32.
I’ve had luck running the same block 32 back to back. I’d like to pivot to some bodybuilding though. So I’m trying to figure how to balance those things.

Interesting. Don’t know about 100 bucks. I hit my marks for weights and I’d like to keep those but maybe fill in some detail muscle around them

Yeah the price is a little outrageous. I wish those guys would just make an app or something like Sheiko did for a fraction of the price.

Back