Congratulations to FOTY Carl Frampton & his fans!

Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Threat Actor
@Silver
Reaction score
Carl had a fine run in 2016 defeating the likes of Quigg & LSC. He initially won The Ring's FOTY to become the first fighter from Ireland to ever win this award. What's more, he just won the BWAA's prestigious Sugar Ray Robinson Award for FOTY as well, while also becoming their first fighter from Ireland to ever accomplish the feat. Both the BWAA & The Ring haven't been able to agree upon the same fighter winning Fighter of the Year since Andre Ward last did it in 2011. The Ring's FOTY award dates all the way back to 1928 while the BWAA's dates back to 1938. Carl nabbed both to make history and put Ireland (to be clear, Northern Ireland specifically) on the map.

He had some stiff competition last year for these awards, Lomachenko particularly, but, Carl beat the odds once again as he did in his two title fights. I feel that his achievement should make all of Ireland proud, not just there up north, along with the rest of the UK.

Here are the complete lists of all recipients for both respective FOTY awards to date
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Ray_Robinson_Award
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ring_magazine_Fighter_of_the_Year

With that said, kudos to Frampton. I'm also really looking forward to the rematch with Santa Cruz tonight!

<13>

Carl had a fine run in 2016 defeating the likes of Quigg & LSC. He initially won The Ring's FOTY to become the first fighter from Ireland to ever win this award. What's more, he just won the BWAA's prestigious Sugar Ray Robinson Award for FOTY as well, while also becoming their first fighter from Ireland to ever accomplish the feat. Both the BWAA & The Ring haven't been able to agree upon the same fighter winning Fighter of the Year since Andre Ward last did it in 2011. The Ring's FOTY award dates all the way back to 1928 while the BWAA's dates back to 1938. Carl nabbed both to make history and put Ireland (to be clear, Northern Ireland specifically) on the map.

He had some stiff competition last year for these awards, Lomachenko particularly, but, Carl beat the odds once again as he did in his two title fights. I feel that his achievement should make all of Ireland proud, not just there up north, along with the rest of the UK.

Here are the complete lists of all recipients for both respective FOTY awards to date
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Ray_Robinson_Award
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ring_magazine_Fighter_of_the_Year

With that said, kudos to Frampton. I'm also really looking forward to the rematch with Santa Cruz tonight!

<13>
<{jackyeah}>

I'll be rooting for Frampton. I can feel it coming in the air tonight.

It should have gone to Loma. This fight proved it.

Pipe down, frampton won that and lost this, that is all.

And now it'll likely go to a third, correctly.

All this fight proved is LSC and Frampton are 1-1. Though I do think the second fight was clearer.

It should have gone to Loma. This fight proved it.

This fight was in 2017. Unfortunately for Loma, fights in 2017 do not effect who wins fighter of the year for 2016.

This fight was in 2017. Unfortunately for Loma, fights in 2017 do not effect who wins fighter of the year for 2016.

I'm saying he shouldn't have won it in 2016. His two fights in 2016 were close and I felt he lost to Leo in the first fight and that was when Leo's dad was going through chemo. The Quigg fight was such a terrible fight, yet Quigg had a chance late in the fight after Frampton slowed down.

This fight was more indicative. Leo dominated the fight with his jab and controlled distance well.

Lomachenko dominated and stopped both of his opponents.

Lets have the rematch back in Belfast then! Hope it happens but have a feeling it wont

Honestly, the rematch NEEDS to be in Ireland. Fair is fair right?

Oh, and Frampton is a class act. THAT is how you get respect, win or lose, act like a man.

Love that kid.

Not knocking LSC, he's quality, of course.
Frampton takes his first loss and doesn't act like a delusional bitch. Good life lessons, good role model. Awesome fighter.

He could never get his timing down the second go around, the third could be the best of the trilogy :)

He's a class act. I can't ever remember a fighter losing his unbeaten record so graciously

Back