Confirmed: Tonon vs Paul Harris @ Polaris Pro 3

Garry can't really lose. If he loses, it will be due to size. If he wins, he's a lionkiller. Probably looking at a 30-40lb weight difference.

Although if he does lose he could lose his ability to walk properly for a few months/the rest of his life. So there's that. But still huge balls regardless.

Maybe, but if Palhares man handles garry and controls the fight and submits him it will be a very bad showing for Garry tonon.

Garry is a great grappler, but Palhares is a silver medalist at ADCC, tapping out Rafael Lovato Jr. amongst others. He gave Galvao a hell of a round in the final as well. I think Palhares has to take this.

i will be shocked if this match actually takes place. palhares will get hurt, miss a plane, forget to pack his gear... something.

however, if the match does happen, i fully expect him to rip tonon to shreds. he's a monster.

erry one wants the villain to lose but I think tonon is gonna get wrecked

Garry is a great grappler, but Palhares is a silver medalist at ADCC, tapping out Rafael Lovato Jr. amongst others. He gave Galvao a hell of a round in the final as well. I think Palhares has to take this.
This is what everyone seems to forget.

You know, I go back every once in a while and watch Toquinho vs Galvao just to see what the fuss is about, but honestly I don't get it. On the ground, it wasn't even close...like at all. Galvao won almost every exchange quickly and decisively. A much more accurate statement would be that Galvao had a hard time taking him down.

Tapping Lovato is still a hell of an accomplishment though.

You know, I go back every once in a while and watch Toquinho vs Galvao just to see what the fuss is about, but honestly I don't get it. On the ground, it wasn't even close...like at all. Galvao won almost every exchange quickly and decisively. A much more accurate statement would be that Galvao had a hard time taking him down.

Tapping Lovato is still a hell of an accomplishment though.
galvao had a hard time doing anything. getting it to the ground, or handling him on the ground. he spent most of the time working for sweeps which toquinho either defended or scrambled out of, and palhares put him on the defensive quite a few times. i'm glad galvao won, but he had a questionable restart to get the win and had his hands full with palhares. yes, he won, but it wasn't a shutout and there were a few moments when we all collectively sighed in relief when he escaped. and this was the year when galvao literally beat everyone... considering palhares isn't a full-time grappler, his success was stunning.

i'm no fan of toquinho the person, but toquinho the grappler is absolutely world class. physically, he's monstrous, but his technique is very refined as well. it's an extremely rare combination. he's like the juggernaut of grappling, and he didn't just tap lovato, he ragdolled him.

props to tonon for stepping up, but this will not end well for him.

Another name i think would also be a good matchup for palhares, is Karen Darabedyan. I've been hoping to see more of him since ebi3, I thought he was tonons toughest opponent in that tourney.

Last edited:
Gary is doing this whole comedy satire thing on facebook, I dont know if thats wise, I mean, you do not want to get toquinho in fighting mood for a roll.

My thoughts exactly; don't get me wrong it's all hilarious but he seems to be poking the bear a bit.

Gary is doing this whole comedy satire thing on facebook, I dont know if thats wise, I mean, you do not want to get toquinho in fighting mood for a roll.

I'm not sure Toquinho is aware of the existence of the internet.

Vid of Tonon training for Palhares

Hilarious. And ballsy.

Pretty classic defense mechanism. People deal with fear, nervousness, and uncertainty in different ways. Making things fun and upping the antics seems pretty clear that he is compensating for a level of apprehension in his own mind. Everyone does this when they are entering high level combat sports where there can be huge consequences. Judging by Tonnons prior demure and the current one based on who he is fighting, I would venture this is how Tonnon is dealing with his own mind.

The biggest danger for Tonon is Palhares not letting go.
Tonon has a huge advantage in that he has an elite heel hooker training partner he can duel with daily.
Is there a weight class limit?

Last edited:
It would be a big upset if Palhares actually won this. Gary Tonon is alot more technical. I can see Palhares eventually gassing out then Gary catching him in a sneaky heel hook.

The same management that tried to make him learn to let go when people tap? Not sure they're that great :-D

Never said he would listen to their advice
but doesn't take much to show Paul Harris the video

i will be shocked if this match actually takes place. palhares will get hurt, miss a plane, forget to pack his gear... something.

however, if the match does happen, i fully expect him to rip tonon to shreds. he's a monster.

This. Garry is great, but he hasn't subbed the level of opponents that Toquinho has, and they are 40 pounds apart. I'll be shocked if Garry is able to win it.

Back