Confirmed: Tonon vs Paul Harris @ Polaris Pro 3

CrossedLine

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
12651097_544270939082839_2899022406410422614_n.jpg

From Polaris FBook:
"Garry Tonon is on a quest to prove himself the best grappler on the planet. Although he has phenomenal all-around jiu jitsu, he's particularly adept in the leglock game. Until recently only a select few really understood the leglock game, let alone could apply it well in competition. Marcin Held had a number of submission wins by leglock in high level MMA, and Garry took him on at Polaris 1. The legendary Japanese leglock master Masakazu Imanari, too, fell to the technicality of Tonon at Polaris 2.

Now Rousimar "Toquinho" Palhares, the man who leglocked his way to notoriety in the 2011 ADCC and more recently in the UFC and WSOF, is here to stop Tonon in his tracks."

Excited for this one, though if he holds a submission on Gary...I won't do anything because I'll be continents away and even if I was there let's get real MAYBE I'd yell something. But Rousimar is a scary guy.

I will be there watching this live

Congrats Kal. Should be fantastic; if I'm not mistaken Palhares is a lot bigger than him? Garry is tough but I'm excited for this.

as much as I want to see, is there a weight class set? If not, I think there is potential for Gary to get hurt.....which, I would rather see him start fighting in MMA at 155

if it is set at like 174 thats fine, but if Gary is 172 and Palhares 197 that could be problems

Dan, it's not MMA

And Gary has been calling out Palhares on a grappling match for quite some time!

Ubercool matchup.

Garry can't really lose. If he loses, it will be due to size. If he wins, he's a lionkiller. Probably looking at a 30-40lb weight difference.

Although if he does lose he could lose his ability to walk properly for a few months/the rest of his life. So there's that. But still huge balls regardless.

This is an exciting match. Great breakdown from /r/BJJ

I will be there watching this live

I want to PPV this. Do you happen to know what time the whole thing starts?
I think CA is 8 hours behind, so hopefully it's not going on while I'm still at class.

I want to PPV this. Do you happen to know what time the whole thing starts?
I think CA is 8 hours behind, so hopefully it's not going on while I'm still at class.

To answer my own question (and in case anyone else was wondering):

Undercard starts at 4.00pm Main card 7.00pm

Dang, that's an 8am start in California.

Paul Harris to me is honestly the scariest mofo when it comes to grappling. Damn this dude is build like a freakin tank.

I think Toquinho is being underestimated here. He just tapped Jake Shields, who is no joke. Look how Jake handled Roberto Satoshi. Size difference plus technique could be too much for Garry.

You know my dream tournament has always been something like an ebi style welterweight thunderdome. Maia, shields, askren, tree stump, tonon, lepri, card fillers. All in one venue.

This is like a piece of that.

I think Toquinho is being underestimated here. He just tapped Jake Shields, who is no joke.
You seen the rest of that fight? Shields mounted Palhares in the first and second round and kept position for a long time. In the third he got caught in a flash kimura from the bottom of side control, but it's NOT like Palhares was outgrappling him for the entire fight.

Shields is a really different grappler from Tonon. Tonon is a go for the finish exiting guy with leg locks, Shields is a mma oriented staller.

Jake is extremely hard to tap and even after being dominated positionally the whole fight he was able to win. It hasn't been happening as much lately, but Garry routinely gets stuck in subs only to fight his way out. If Toquinho gets a hold on him it may be advisable to tap.

Back