Conditioning vs normal training

smith96

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
My conditioning is pretty average, I gas pretty easily and have poor muscle endurance. I've started training jiu jitsu and muay thai and am training 5 hour jits and 6.5 hours mt a week, will this improve my conditioning enough? or should i swap some of those sessions out for conditioning work. I want to improve and fight as soon as possible.

I say focus on skill work for a month or two and gauge it then. That way you can be more specific with your conditioning goals, as there are different systems. Don't rush fighting, bad idea.

primarily as a beginner your daily fighting practice plus 2 days of Cardiac output should be your default

My conditioning is pretty average, I gas pretty easily and have poor muscle endurance. I've started training jiu jitsu and muay thai and am training 5 hour jits and 6.5 hours mt a week, will this improve my conditioning enough? or should i swap some of those sessions out for conditioning work. I want to improve and fight as soon as possible.

Well you should talk to your coaches, but most people wont fight in competition in their first year of training (or longer). Your conditioning sucks because you're not used to the sport. You'll get your best conditioning by doing skills training and practicing the sport. Go practice as much as possible. That will take care of your conditioning goals until you get to a higher level.

I also recommend that you take at least one day a week to lift weights. I would find two days a week where you can lift weights for like 30 minutes each time and do a simple A/B routine for strength. You could easily fit this into your schedule. It's nothing crazy, but will keep you powerful while you gain cardio and technique for the sport.

A.
Squat - 3 sets of 5 (5 minutes rest)
Bench- 3 sets of 8 (5 minutes rest)

B.
Deadlift - 4 sets of 6 (5 minutes rest)
Standing press - 3 sets of 8 (5 minutes rest)

i would just do

one day squats 3x5 bench 3x5

day 2 light squats 3x5.deadlift 1x5.press3x5

on those days include 30-40 minutes of LSD jogging or whatever implement you wish to use

but the above poster is correct the primary conditioning comes from the sport

Depends on how much youre on top of your recovery. Are you eating and sleeping enough? If the answer is yes then Id say it cant hurt to throw in a little bit extra conditioning. Something very simple. Maybe a simple 3-5 exercise circuit done 2x a week. A sprint sequence on the aerodyne 2x a week really is super efficient and effective as well. Keep it simple. Remember, the last place an athlete should be injured is in the weight room.

Back