Conditioning for BJJ: LISS or HIIT?

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm well aware that the best way to develop stamina for Rolling is simply to Roll more. But my class time is strictly limited by work and other commitments. So I'm looking for advice on conditioning training I can do outside the Dojo.

Which do you guys find more helpful for your BJJ?

Low Intensity Steady State: Jogging, Rucking(walking with a heavy pack)etc.

High Intensity Interval Training: Hill Sprints, Prowler etc.

Thanks in advance.

It depends how much you're training. Rolling is already giving you LISS conditioning. If you train a decent amount, you probably won't see much benefit from adding more, and HIIT exercises will complement your grappling. If you don't get to train much, then you'll probably want to replace the grappling-specific cardio that you're missing (i.e. LISS training).

The amount of HIIT you can do will be limited by your recovery, so a mix of both is probably good.

I'd do no more than 2 sessions of HIIT per week or risk burnout. Especally if you're also rolling.

For bjj, lots of muscular endurance conditioning. Low weight high rep weights or lots of bodyweight repetitions.

This is strictly for bjj and only to condition for bjj. For total grappling conditioning (stand up grappling or MMA grappling) you'll want to keep the muscular endurance work but integrate it into a hiit routine.

HIIT is more effective in my experience, and has the science to back it too. That being said, your recovery will dictate what you can realistically do.

When I was younger l did more high intensity stuff to complement my training. Lifting heavy, sprints

Then, as I have gotten older and injuries have begun to pile up, my recovery hasn’t been what it used to be. If I had continued with high intensity workouts, I would’ve had to cut my martial arts training to keep up, which defeats the purpose for me. So I’ve switched to lower intensity workouts in between, cycling, body weight exercises, resistance bands. It’s been much better for me.

It depends how much you're training. Rolling is already giving you LISS conditioning. If you train a decent amount, you probably won't see much benefit from adding more, and HIIT exercises will complement your grappling. If you don't get to train much, then you'll probably want to replace the grappling-specific cardio that you're missing (i.e. LISS training).
Rolling like boxing and Basketball are a combination of both energy systems. I've never seen a " cardio warrior" in any long duration sport boxing Basketball etc that did a ton of Hitt training outside of hardcore drilling.

They all ran miles and miles though

You can do HIIT 5-7 times a week if you arent red lining your strength overload or really hitting your power endurance.

Im getting back into shape and just going to what I always did as a full time competitor which is HIIT hill sprints on an interval, Airdyne interval sprints, and Vertimax intervals. I can go every day and be ok. Once you start adding explosive power resistance movements in, thats where your body starts needing WAY more rest. I just lift outside of my HIIT and I am fine.

OK, I'm well aware that the best way to develop stamina for Rolling is simply to Roll more. But my class time is strictly limited by work and other commitments. So I'm looking for advice on conditioning training I can do outside the Dojo.

Thanks in advance.
Lift heavy ass weights. Low rep.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.
You need LISS. Once you have about 6 weeks of liss your body makes adaptations for increased blood flow. Once you get that base you can concentrate on Hitt.

Seriously the books tactical barbell 1&2 explains the science behind it and gives workouts to do to accomplish it.

TB 1 is about lifting. TB2 is about conditioning and how to incorporate TB1 with your conditioning protocol.

Some quality information ITT. Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply:cool:

HIIT has always helped me a lot sprints\hill sprints either works fine for me.

You can do HIIT 5-7 times a week if you arent red lining your strength overload or really hitting your power endurance.

Im getting back into shape and just going to what I always did as a full time competitor which is HIIT hill sprints on an interval, Airdyne interval sprints, and Vertimax intervals. I can go every day and be ok. Once you start adding explosive power resistance movements in, thats where your body starts needing WAY more rest. I just lift outside of my HIIT and I am fine.

How long/high is the hill you sprint? I've heard some people say that anything over 100 meters is a hill repeat rather than a sprint, since it's not physically possible to sprint uphill for much longer than that.

How long/high is the hill you sprint? I've heard some people say that anything over 100 meters is a hill repeat rather than a sprint, since it's not physically possible to sprint uphill for much longer than that.
I do two different kinds.

1. Every day, I use an interval on the treadmill. Incline 8.5, speed 8.5 or higher. I do 20 sec on, 10 sec off. The better shape I get in, I increase speed and increase time up to 30 seconds tops. At that point, if I can go longer than 30 seconds, it isnt fast enough.

2. I have 2 locations I use with huge grades. One is a private water duct, one is the wall of the detention water resevoir. I only do this one once every week or two. Getting to the top takes around 48 seconds. I do sets of 6 or so. These are way more taxing on the body and take some preparation, so I only do them every few weeks.

I am by no means a runner anymore. I put too many miles in when I was competing and I dont like the road anymore. I would rather bust my ass on hills and get it over with quickly than draw it out on flat land.

I do two different kinds.

1. Every day, I use an interval on the treadmill. Incline 8.5, speed 8.5 or higher. I do 20 sec on, 10 sec off. The better shape I get in, I increase speed and increase time up to 30 seconds tops. At that point, if I can go longer than 30 seconds, it isnt fast enough.

2. I have 2 locations I use with huge grades. One is a private water duct, one is the wall of the detention water resevoir. I only do this one once every week or two. Getting to the top takes around 48 seconds. I do sets of 6 or so. These are way more taxing on the body and take some preparation, so I only do them every few weeks.

I am by no means a runner anymore. I put too many miles in when I was competing and I dont like the road anymore. I would rather bust my ass on hills and get it over with quickly than draw it out on flat land.
Just curious on the sprints if you try to tie it in to things like round times, match lengths etc. now or when you competed in the past?

I've used interval sprints in the past but was always unsure whether to use the original Tabata 20 on/10 off for 4 minutes then repeat, do the length of matches for the upcoming competition, a longer length or just do any one of the huge variety of splits and numbers of cycles you see online. I flip-flopped between all of them over the years without ever being sure which was going to translate best to competition cardio so am just interested in your thoughts on it?

Just curious on the sprints if you try to tie it in to things like round times, match lengths etc. now or when you competed in the past?

I've used interval sprints in the past but was always unsure whether to use the original Tabata 20 on/10 off for 4 minutes then repeat, do the length of matches for the upcoming competition, a longer length or just do any one of the huge variety of splits and numbers of cycles you see online. I flip-flopped between all of them over the years without ever being sure which was going to translate best to competition cardio so am just interested in your thoughts on it?
I usually go either 20/10 or 30/15 because personally, that is the average length of my scrambles.

Sometimes to throw some variety in, I put on a wrestling video, then I am sprinting when they are going hard, and i jump off during breaks or lulls in action. I can blow through a 9 minute match like that without even realizing it because its like I am in the match.

Theoretically a HIIT workout is more demanding on the body so when you compare a single HIIT session with a single Low intensity session then HIIT wins. However, HIIT leads to over training and burnout so people who rely purely on HIIT are working out less frequently and those who are doing low intensity are doing it more often. When you compare 6 months results then the latter may be more beneficial.

Id say mix both and watch your recovery.

Back