Condit (28 Finishes) Slams Woodley (Boring, Play-It-Safe Fighter)

Is Woodley an exciting fighter?

• Total voters
I have no problem with Woodley playing safe and being as boring as he is but he should not be mad when people call him out for being boring, you can't have both ways

It's gonna be a dog fight.-Kenny Florian

tyron-woodley..jpg

is it because he's black?

That fight was still more exciting than any fight Woodley has been in. It's called strategy, standing right infront of Nick would be stupid. He still landed more strikes in that fight than Woodley has in his entire career.
sleeping snake.gif

It's not just the Diaz fight that makes this quote silly. Carlos is 2-5 in his last 7 (every fight since the Diaz fight). His two wins were finishes, sure, but Woodley has had 5 finishes in the same time period.

i like woodley but...he does stick to his gameplan and plays it safe for the most part.

Carlos Condit didn’t earn the nickname “The Natural Born Killer” by playing it safe during his fights.

The former WEC welterweight champion and UFC interim titleholder goes for the finish when he sees the opportunity, to which his 28 finishes among his 30 career wins attest. He’s also an eight-time bonus winner with six Fight of the Nights to his credit, and his UFC 195 bout with Robbie Lawler was MMA Fighting’s 2016 Fight of the Year.

So when Condit hears the criticisms directed at current UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, whom many consider a play-it-safe fighter, he understands why.

“I can definitely see where the critics are coming from,” Condit said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “We’re athletes but we’re also entertainers, people buy the pay-per-view to be entertained. That’s part of this. This is show business. I know that winning is super important and a gameplan is super important, but at some point you have to, this is the hurt business and you gotta to try to put your opponent out.”

. . .

“You know he’s obviously a super, super talented dude,” Condit said. “I did watch the last fight against Maia. . . . At a time where he could he really could have turned it on and tried to finish, he didn’t.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/10...-where-tyron-woodleys-critics-are-coming-from
Carlos Condit didn’t earn the nickname “The Natural Born Killer” by playing it safe during his fights.

The former WEC welterweight champion and UFC interim titleholder goes for the finish when he sees the opportunity, to which his 28 finishes among his 30 career wins attest. He’s also an eight-time bonus winner with six Fight of the Nights to his credit, and his UFC 195 bout with Robbie Lawler was MMA Fighting’s 2016 Fight of the Year.

So when Condit hears the criticisms directed at current UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, whom many consider a play-it-safe fighter, he understands why.

“I can definitely see where the critics are coming from,” Condit said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “We’re athletes but we’re also entertainers, people buy the pay-per-view to be entertained. That’s part of this. This is show business. I know that winning is super important and a gameplan is super important, but at some point you have to, this is the hurt business and you gotta to try to put your opponent out.”

. . .

“You know he’s obviously a super, super talented dude,” Condit said. “I did watch the last fight against Maia. . . . At a time where he could he really could have turned it on and tried to finish, he didn’t.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/10...-where-tyron-woodleys-critics-are-coming-from
easiest fix of any current ufc problem- submissions pay substantially more than decisions.

Did People forget how the Woodley/Condit fight went?

I mean I know the result was stupid, but I would hardly call the fight playing it safe.

Woodley has gone up against known finishers, you can't rush at Thompson with your Chin up nor can you shoot on Maia and hope you can outwrestle him.

It's not exciting, but at what point are people just calling for Woodley to make it easier for the other guy?

And I'm sure you actually read the quote so there we are
This is what I read:

"We’re athletes but we’re also entertainers, people buy the pay-per-view to be entertained."

It's not just the Diaz fight that makes this quote silly. Carlos is 2-5 in his last 7 (every fight since the Diaz fight). His two wins were finishes, sure, but Woodley has had 5 finishes in the same time period.

Mir vs Cro Cop ended in a finish...one of the worst, relatively big, fights in UFC history.

Finishes are great but fans pay to be entertained. MMA isn't a pure athletic competition.

anyone who criticizes woodley gets my respect

I mean I know the result was stupid, but I would hardly call the fight playing it safe.

Woodley has gone up against known finishers, you can't rush at Thompson with your Chin up nor can you shoot on Maia and hope you can outwrestle him.

It's not exciting, but at what point are people just calling for Woodley to make it easier for the other guy?

It ended up with Woodley getting the victory on a weird Condit injury?

No...not the regular traumatic brain injury we all like.

he's been consistently boring for 3 years

Back