Concussions as a College Student

DKfighter

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all,

I started training BJJ senior year of high school. About 5-6 months in I started doing the kickboxing classes and I just kept falling in love with training faster and faster. I soon was invited to the MMA class which has harder sparring and more experience needed. It's competitive too. There have been numerous pro fighters at my gym including two who were on the ultimate fighter. I graduated high school and took a year off before college. The only commitment I had was a 30 hour grocery store cashier job. I would train 3 hours on Wednesday and 4 hours on Friday every week. I was absolutely obsessed. I would spar hard very regularly. It was only a matter of time before I got a concussion. One day I woke up the night after with slurred speech short term memory and other obvious symptoms. Because I had some stupid idea that these symptoms were just minor and that I should just deal with them as a fighter, I kept training with little rest and would more often than not train through them. For 6 months I would rest just too little and come back and have symptoms reappear and take longer and longer to heal. There was a point where I got a new job and was taking 2 college classes. The day before my new job I had the worst symptoms yet. Still because of my youth (I'm still young honestly and still stupid lol) and stupidity I thought these were minor and didn't call a doctor or anything. I hoped they would go away but I was so out of it that I could barely finish my sentences most of the time. After 3 weeks at my new job they stopped scheduling me and I knew damn why, if they hired a goldfish it would have had a better attention span than I did. I realized these symptoms were moderately serious and I needed a break. I had to quit the job and just rested and did homework till I felt better. At the time I thought that my MMA career was over and that due to training through concussions I was permanantly brain damaged. Well, things healed slowly but surely and unfortunately can thank that to my torn meniscus that I got 6 months ago so I couldn't have contact sports at all. I did do one day of light sparring coming back from injury with no kicks and to my surprise symptoms came back minorly for 3 weeks. It made my now full course load of college really frustrating and stressful. My head needs more of a rest is the conclusion I came too. Probably something like a year or two. I have been doing just the BJJ grappling classes full power except leg locks full time for about 2 weeks now since returning from knee injury. My chin seemed to start to repair itself and be less sensitive. Unfortunately this week playing bball I got headbutted so hard I almost broke my nose and because of the current state of my chin had light symptoms on and off for just a couple days including today. I need a long ass rest before I invite people to hit me in the face again. All of that nonsense I dealt with those concussions were tough to deal with even though I had very little shit to get done. When I estimate my head will be ready I will be a full time college student as I am now. If I had gone through those minor concussions during school I woulda flunked out in a heart beat. I can't imagine a 40 hour desk job when I graduate is gonna make things any easier. When I got concusssed for the first time it didn't seem like I was training much harder than anyone else though looking back I probably pushed the pace during light sparring too much. My question is...as either a full time college student or as a full time worker, is there any way I can maturely and safely set up my own personal protocol so I don't get concussed so much? Obviously people seem to train at least casually without getting long term symptoms every day. It seemed really easy to get symptoms which I might attribute it to recklessness and dumb 18 year old judgement but still felt like it was inevitable yet all my training partners showed no signs of change in attendance like I was when resting my head. Does anybody else on this forum have experience training MMA as a college student or holding a job that will require the same focus as a full time college student?

Hi all,

I started training BJJ senior year of high school. About 5-6 months in I started doing the kickboxing classes and I just kept falling in love with training faster and faster. I soon was invited to the MMA class which has harder sparring and more experience needed. It's competitive too. There have been numerous pro fighters at my gym including two who were on the ultimate fighter. I graduated high school and took a year off before college. The only commitment I had was a 30 hour grocery store cashier job. I would train 3 hours on Wednesday and 4 hours on Friday every week. I was absolutely obsessed. I would spar hard very regularly. It was only a matter of time before I got a concussion. One day I woke up the night after with slurred speech short term memory and other obvious symptoms. Because I had some stupid idea that these symptoms were just minor and that I should just deal with them as a fighter, I kept training with little rest and would more often than not train through them. For 6 months I would rest just too little and come back and have symptoms reappear and take longer and longer to heal. There was a point where I got a new job and was taking 2 college classes. The day before my new job I had the worst symptoms yet. Still because of my youth (I'm still young honestly and still stupid lol) and stupidity I thought these were minor and didn't call a doctor or anything. I hoped they would go away but I was so out of it that I could barely finish my sentences most of the time. After 3 weeks at my new job they stopped scheduling me and I knew damn why, if they hired a goldfish it would have had a better attention span than I did. I realized these symptoms were moderately serious and I needed a break. I had to quit the job and just rested and did homework till I felt better. At the time I thought that my MMA career was over and that due to training through concussions I was permanantly brain damaged. Well, things healed slowly but surely and unfortunately can thank that to my torn meniscus that I got 6 months ago so I couldn't have contact sports at all. I did do one day of light sparring coming back from injury with no kicks and to my surprise symptoms came back minorly for 3 weeks. It made my now full course load of college really frustrating and stressful. My head needs more of a rest is the conclusion I came too. Probably something like a year or two. I have been doing just the BJJ grappling classes full power except leg locks full time for about 2 weeks now since returning from knee injury. My chin seemed to start to repair itself and be less sensitive. Unfortunately this week playing bball I got headbutted so hard I almost broke my nose and because of the current state of my chin had light symptoms on and off for just a couple days including today. I need a long ass rest before I invite people to hit me in the face again. All of that nonsense I dealt with those concussions were tough to deal with even though I had very little shit to get done. When I estimate my head will be ready I will be a full time college student as I am now. If I had gone through those minor concussions during school I woulda flunked out in a heart beat. I can't imagine a 40 hour desk job when I graduate is gonna make things any easier. When I got concusssed for the first time it didn't seem like I was training much harder than anyone else though looking back I probably pushed the pace during light sparring too much. My question is...as either a full time college student or as a full time worker, is there any way I can maturely and safely set up my own personal protocol so I don't get concussed so much? Obviously people seem to train at least casually without getting long term symptoms every day. It seemed really easy to get symptoms which I might attribute it to recklessness and dumb 18 year old judgement but still felt like it was inevitable yet all my training partners showed no signs of change in attendance like I was when resting my head. Does anybody else on this forum have experience training MMA as a college student or holding a job that will require the same focus as a full time college student?

Sorry, could you break it down for me into little bits of info because I suffer from an advanced form of a rare disorder known as Cotard’s Delusion, mine specifically relates to my brain.......

Thanks in advance........

Okay so basically I don't understand how I can train MMA hard and not run the risk of getting concussed to the point that I have to drop out of college or perform poorly at a job.

I trained hard for awhile during a year where all I had to do was work 30 hours a week at an easy ass job. Concussion symptoms from training hard were still very frustrating. When my brain will be ready for hard sparring again I'm gonna be a full time college student.

If you could somehow give me advice at how to train MMA and not get so many concussions that it gravely affects my life as a student that would be great.

Paragraphs, motherfucker: do you know them?? Clearly you are severely brain damaged by your inane post.

Did you ever get KO'd? How do you know you got concussed if you didnt go to a doctor?

Theres a lot of irrelevent info in your post. Yes you need your brain to do your job or go through college. Quit being a dummy and focus on your actual life, not a pipe dream of being an MMA champ.

If you want to train without getting hurt, I would get a heavy bag and a double end bag to train at home with, and have a friend hold pads for you. You can learn jiu jitsu from youtube videos with a friend without paying gym fees or feeling pressure to spar.

Last edited:
Okay so basically I don't understand how I can train MMA hard and not run the risk of getting concussed to the point that I have to drop out of college or perform poorly at a job.

I trained hard for awhile during a year where all I had to do was work 30 hours a week at an easy ass job. Concussion symptoms from training hard were still very frustrating. When my brain will be ready for hard sparring again I'm gonna be a full time college student.

If you could somehow give me advice at how to train MMA and not get so many concussions that it gravely affects my life as a student that would be great.

So basically your first post on Sherdog........,.hmmmm

Gym wars, when ego's collide...........maybe you need to stop doing what you are doing because your only going to get what you already have......

Okay first I apologize for not using paragraphs that was dumb af lol.

I didn't go to the doctor because I had this misconception about concussions that you only needed to see a doctor of I got KO'd or were really severe symptoms.

I thought that minor symptoms would come and go while training hard and didn't pose any long term risk and I was slowly but surely proved wrong.

Symptoms I would notice were slurred speech and stutter a lot having my attention span and train of thought cut in half. Also my coordination was often slightly bad meaning I felt like my feet weren't quite under me.

These symptoms would come back after sparring more often and more severely for longer and longer periods. I believe this happened because I wouldn't rest enough.

And regarding the pipe dream comment. No, I do not wanna be an MMA champ. However, I do wanna do at least 1 amateur bout.

Looking at the comments I guess the answer is go to a fucking doctor next time lol. These questions and uncertainties I have could be answered by a doctor.

Okay first I apologize for not using paragraphs that was dumb af lol.

I didn't go to the doctor because I had this misconception about concussions that you only needed to see a doctor of I got KO'd or were really severe symptoms.

I thought that minor symptoms would come and go while training hard and didn't pose any long term risk and I was slowly but surely proved wrong.

Symptoms I would notice were slurred speech and stutter a lot having my attention span and train of thought cut in half. Also my coordination was often slightly bad meaning I felt like my feet weren't quite under me.

These symptoms would come back after sparring more often and more severely for longer and longer periods. I believe this happened because I wouldn't rest enough.

And regarding the pipe dream comment. No, I do not wanna be an MMA champ. However, I do wanna do at least 1 amateur bout.
Yeah Im no doctor but I think repeated damage consistently is worse than a KO then good recovery. Especially since youre a beginner going up against pros, you sound like you were out of your league.

Thats one of my main issues with MMA gyms - they throw everyone to the wolves right away and dont care if youre a kyokushin black belt or some noob who did taekwondo in kindergarten. You will face people who dont give a shit about your skill level or health, though some will be considerate. MMA gyms breed a douchebag culture you wont find as commonly in martial arts gyms

Stuttering your words and losing coordination sounds really really bad. If I were you Id get some experience in grappling while you recover from your injury. Take a couple years off. Why be in such a hurry to take an amateur fight? Worry about finding a career and developing hobbies outside of MMA.

If I'm getting this right, you got concussed in training and not during fights?

That's not good, to be honest, you can still train hard without getting fucked up, it boils down to you and the gym culture. If everyone at your current gym is going through gym wars all the time, then its time to find another place.

I've been training a bit over over 5 years, never been concussed or KOed. I'm an ammy MT fighter. The gym I'm at prescribes to the typical thai-style sparring of 30-50% power, while keeping the intensity high.

To answer your question, yes you can train frequently while juggling school and work. I started when I was in the final year of college and now do while working . You will have to pick something to sacrifice though. For your situation:
  • school
  • MMA
  • social life

I end up sacrificing social activities. When you train 6 days a week with 3x being twice a day along with a full time schedule, there's not much room for anything else.

Everyone handles concussions differently from what I'm told, some guys can still spar fine, others end up vomiting after a 3min round of padwork. Like another poster said, take it easy on the striking sparring and do grappling, though you could still get concussed there, but the likeihood is lower.

Definitely concussed if you write like that to get across a point.

You are taking hits to the head. Seems fairly normal if you ask me.

Back