Concussion symptoms, depression. Will Max ever be the same?

BigNick100

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Just read how Max has been dealing with depression, on top of that he has had to pull out of 3 fights this year and said he still struggles physically and mentally. He said he went into a dark place and didn't talk to anyone but his wife and son for a while. Who knows how he trains these days. Max is a warrior but I can't help but think all this he is going through might take a little fire away from him. Max is young in terms of age but not in terms of fighting. 26 of age but has had 22 fights already and started in 2010 at 17.

Hoping Bless can return to form.

Last edited:
I simpy dont have a point of view in regards to a highly successful person who has depression. My head says that person should harden up but deep down i know there is some shit there i dont understand.

I simpy dont have a point of view in regards to a highly successful person who has depression. My head says that person should harden up but deep down i know there is some shit there i dont understand.
Mate. Everyone is still human. Max always seemed like a good guy too.

Hope he gets passed it.

What's his catchprase he always say about bless and the best?

Yeah, sit this one out

What's his catchprase he always say about bless and the best?
"To be number one, you have to beat the best. The best is Blessed baby, Blessed MMA."

- Kenny Florian

The guy already is sounding punch drunk, the symptoms he had during his last weight cut were scary as hell, No other current fighter has the same level of alarms bells as max, I hope i am wrong and obviously i don't know what hes like day to day or behind the scenes but hes one fighter i have genuine concerns about killing him self to make weight.

Max will never be the same after going through those Aldo wars.

I think Holloway has been hollowed-out because of too much fighting at too young of an age. The poor kid probably has major levels of CTE already.

The guy already is sounding punch drunk, the symptoms he had during his last weight cut were scary as hell, No other current fighter has the same level of alarms bells as max, I hope i am wrong and obviously i don't know what hes like day to day or behind the scenes but hes one fighter i have genuine concerns about killing him self to make weight.

Yeah. I've grown so sick of seeing fighters ruin their health. It's a fucking tragedy. And Max is in that spot now where you start getting some real concerns for the guy. Whether he will ever be the same or not, I don't know. But I highly doubt it. So I'd prefer it if he just retired, to be honest. He can do that and still look back on amazing accomplishments - like becoming a world champion, for example. Get out before it's too late and while you're still able to enjoy the rest of your life. He can run gym, make a living coaching etc. Better than fucking up your brain. Your brain isn't just the most important organ of your life, it's what you experience your life through. So in a way, it is your life. Better treat it well and take good care of it.

26 of age but has had 25 fights already and started in 2010 at 17.

Almost everything in this sentence is wrong. He has had 18 fights under the UFC banner out of total 22, and was 19 years old in 2010 when he started fighting professionally.

Almost everything in this sentence is wrong. He has had 18 fights under the UFC banner out of total 22, and was 19 years old in 2010 when he started fighting professionally.
Yea I see I made a little error there. Not sure how I saw 25 fights. but 22 is not far off and he did have his first mma match at 18 so we are both wrong about that one.

And he has had amateur fights dating back to 2006. So he has starting fighting at a very young age, amateur and pro included.

There is a general procedure recommended for patients to follow post-concussion to allow the brain to heal as much as possible.

Cutting weight and getting concussed w/reduced brain fluid does more brain damage. Then resuming sparring a few weeks after interrupts the healing process.

The brain has the ability to to rewire itself to an outstanding degree, and the UFC/major MMA orgs should have seminars or videos they can provide to fighters to help them take care of themselves.

I found it stupid for my boy Frankie to fight Cub a few weeks after getting KTFOd, granted he probably sparred at least moderately hard for that fight. Derrick shouldn't be fighting DC after taking damage from Volkov but oh well.

I think there are a lot of stories about athletes with head trauma that are struggling with depression. I hope Max is and stays healthy, but there are some bad signs.

And apparently depression (or feeling like shit in general) doesn’t give a shit if you are wealthy or not. Of course having money improves the quality of life and standard of living to a point, but people still have problems. There will always be problems.

Back