Concerned for Diego Sanchez

I'm more concerned about TS having David Haye as his display pic.

Diego is in Chuck territory...legend but needs to slow way down.

If he doesn't retire, he definitely needs to leave welterweight and just stay at lightweight, also go back to his grappling heavy style. I think even Diego knows his chin isn't what it used to be because he immediately shot for a takedown against Matt Brown.

Diego Chin Workouts. very effective

giphy.gif

Most fighters start off with a whatever attitude and fight smarter as their career advances. Diego is the opposite. He started off fighting safer and as he got older threw caution into the wind.

The Nightmare would use his superb wrestling, BJJ and cardio to TD his opponents and using superior position either viciously GnP his opponents or sub them.

As he got older and became the Dream (and fight at lower weight classes) he decided to become more fan friendly and bite down and trade bombs with opponents.

Very strange imo. Just backwards.

Now to answer TS's question no I want him to stop.

But if he wants to keep fighting that's on him. Someone within his inner circle needs to have a serious talk with him.

If not he might die as a result of trauma sustained in the octogon or, even worst, might be the first live death.

I was glad he actually went for a takedown on Brown, but he looked so small in there. He has no business fighting in that weight class.

Most fighters start off with a whatever attitude and fight smarter as their career advances. Diego is the opposite. He started off fighting safer and as he got older threw caution into the wind.

The Nightmare would use his superb wrestling, BJJ and cardio to TD his opponents and using superior position either viciously GnP his opponents or sub them.

As he got older and became the Dream (and fight at lower weight classes) he decided to become more fan friendly and bite down and trade bombs with opponents.

Very strange imo. Just backwards.

Now to answer TS's question no I want him to stop.

But if he wants to keep fighting that's on him. Someone within his inner circle needs to have a serious talk with him.

If not he might die as a result of trauma sustained in the octogon or, even worst, might be the first live death.

This is a good point, especially about how his fight style was originally at the beginning very grapple heavy.

Is the change in approach to the stand up and trade bombs Diego a decision his trainers (Jackson Wink?) have made or something he has decided to go with on his own do you think?

Considering Jackson Wink are or for awhile we're considered one of the top teams, it seems hard to believe they would coach him to fight like this. Let alone continue at all.

I would also be interested to know how many times Diego gets dropped in sparring. It can't only be happening in live bouts.

This is a good point, especially about how his fight style was originally at the beginning very grapple heavy.

Is the change in approach to the stand up and trade bombs Diego a decision his trainers (Jackson Wink?) have made or something he has decided to go with on his own do you think?

Considering Jackson Wink are or for awhile we're considered one of the top teams, it seems hard to believe they would coach him to fight like this. Let alone continue at all.

I would also be interested to know how many times Diego gets dropped in sparring. It can't only be happening in live bouts.
Jackson's is known as a camp that is about winning and coming up with a great game plan whether it's fan friendly or not.

So I doubt it.

Look at what they did for Guida when he fought Maynard.

I'm guessing it's a Diego conscious choice.

Him and Penn should rematch if they both want to continue fighting. It's the only fight that makes sense for either guy, and it's a winnable fight for both.

Winner and loser hang up the gloves for good

Him and Penn should rematch if they both want to continue fighting. It's the only fight that makes sense for either guy, and it's a winnable fight for both.

Winner and loser hang up the gloves for good

You know I've heard Helwani talking a number of times about a "Legends division" or promotion where the old timers can go to continue battling it out with people of a similar age. Rich Franklin, Chris Leben, Forest Griffin, Bonnar, Tito, Liddell, Randy and Hendo bring em all back!

You know I've heard Helwani talking a number of times about a "Legends division" or promotion where the old timers can go to continue battling it out with people of a similar age. Rich Franklin, Chris Leben, Forest Griffin, Bonnar, Tito, Liddell, Randy and Hendo bring em all back!

Those guys have no business fighting, neither do Penn or Diego really but they seem to be insistent on fighting, still under contract and won't retire just yet.

Diego was at his best grappling, when is the last time you saw that. His best days are well behind him , but it's hard to quit competition.

The UFC should protect him and match him with grapplers or soft handed fighters. He has taken way too much punishment and he didn't have a lot of brain cells to spare to begin with.

That's the thing. They were and Diego actually notched his first uncontroversial decision wins in years against Miller and Held. He even fought smart and used his wrestling in those.

Then the bizarre Brown matchup came out of left field. Sanchez's chin was never going to hold up in that fight and he has no business being at WW at this point in his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back