Concerned for Diego Sanchez

if he passes the pre fight screens whats the problem

The UFC should protect him and match him with grapplers or soft handed fighters. He has taken way too much punishment and he didn't have a lot of brain cells to spare to begin with.
Or get him a swing coach to enter one of those longest drive competitions.

I am living this nightmare now. You nailed it. I doubt very much he is capable of making a good decision about fighting, quitting. I cant make basic choices now without help. I never got punched in the head for a living either. I played other sports that did this and car wrecks.

The dude must be forced to stop ala Chuck.

Best of luck man. Hope you have a good support system around you.

I'm genuinely concerned about Diego Sanchez' decision to continue fighting after the horrific knockout loss to Matt Brown.

I'm watching his war with Melendez on fight pass (still one of my all time favourite fights) and it just reminds me how much his style and skill has not changed at all over the course of his career. He's that warrior that bites down on his mouth piece and continues to throw bombs without any care for the damage he receives in return, that's why we liked watching his fights.

But the difference is now his chin has completely gone and the skill and talent of the newer generation of fighter is leaps and bounds above Sanchez'

He's been knocked out in 3 of his last 4 fights but seems to show little regard in interviews as to the impact this is probably having in his health, little awareness to his relevance at this point to the division.

Does anyone want to continue watching Sanchez fight and do you think the UFC will continue to book him in the future? If so what do you think his position is in the division now?
He should retire. He is a victim of falling in love with his KO power over decent strikers and abandoned his relentless ground game he started with. I truly believe he could have been a champion if he had just stayed focused with his ground and pound style sharpening his take down skills,bjj, and grappling. The Diego Sanchez of old beat a Nick Diaz by using that style. The Diego Sanchez that decided to become a striker would have been picked apart by a Nick Diaz. Its unfortunate.

Seeing a guy known for toughness and walking through shots and eating them get knocked out cold repeatedly sucks to watch.

He needs to retire. End of.

i see your point but who are we to dictate what these brave men should do

i mean bisping has only one fully functional eye yet we all watched his last fight

wonder how many knock outs happen in practice

the only problem is that don't have a fast & accurate CTE test yet. They are working on one.
correct. but i really feel theres a difference in damage from strikes compared to a football/hockey hit which resembles a car crash. i hope so

I hope he has people around him that care enough about him to encourage him to retire

Dana should def step in and stop this. He's a warrior, but he needs to stop for his own good

Let him keep fighting , lol I'm a fan but I'm not his daddy let Diego eat all the asparagus he likes

These type of threads pop up every time Diego loses a fight
Yeah, because it shows him that he's not going up in rankings. He's just fighting and taking excessive damage that in the future we'll be like, "He should have stopped."

You mean Diego “the decision” Sanchez? The Gilbert fight reinvigorated his brand, but people have short memories. He used to be that wierd guy who was all about Jesus. He was good enough to beat fan favorites like Karo and Diaz, but could never put himself in the title picture for an extended period.

He’s a shell of his former self and needs to retire. Just because i never really liked him doesn’t mean i want to see him take unnecessary punishment.
Karo was a fan favorite?

Going out on your shield with a sword in hand is the only way to Valhalla.... Most people just don't have that old blood in their veins anymore. If it's in you, it's in you.

I don't think the skill difference is leaps and bounds better than it was when Diego was beating Nick Diaz and Karo

That Diego would still be a tough fight for anyone. He's just old and shot now

He will be in the bellator ww grand prix
I had a thread deleted for some reason, because I said Bellator is crazy enough to get Chuck Liddell as a secret alternate for the Heavyweight tourney. Mod was either a Chuck fan or a Scott Coker fan, but yeah... nobody's off limits for ending up in a Bellator tourney

It's tough for a fighter to stop. They want that one last exciting big win. I'd say a big win is being able live a healthy life with your family. I was a huge Diego in the beginning and still am for the most part. I love a good knockout but not when it's one guy over and over again who was once known for a solid chin. Tough situation for friends and family to be in. Telling someone or getting someone to stop doing what they love and are passionate about and what put food on the table and roof over their head and made them who they are today is no easy task.

Some guys don't budget their money and have to keep fight fighting even when they should stop.

Back