compression shorts vs jockstrap?

Rotund Grappler said:
for me its always jock with soft cup, with a pair of compression/fight shorts over top. then i wear my shorts or gi pants.
this is how i do it as well.

this is how i do it as well.

Does anyone here find that the compression shorts impedes you when you are doing high kicks and so forth ?

Basically is it restrictive in anyway ?

I am going to be using it mainly for muay thai.

I want to get a cup and put in those pockets that compression shorts come with for removable cups ?

I use the Shock Doctor Compression Shorts w/ Cup. I havent worn a cup before, but I like this one fine. Feels uncomfortable at first, but later you dont really notice it.

Does anyone here find that the compression shorts impedes you when you are doing high kicks and so forth ?

I want to get a cup and put in those pockets that compression shorts come with for removable cups ?

No, they don't impede your kicks because nthey fit like a second skin. Oh, and not all compression shorts have a pocket for cup, so that's something you want to look for.

P.S- 1000th post.

I do tons of kickboxing with an SD, and it doesn't get in my way at all. I thought it would when I went upstairs to the head, but it is so tight to my body that its stuck to me. When finding shorts with a pocket, it will be hard to find a pair without a cup already attached to them. Your best bet is any sports store or SD or UA's website for empty shorts, if you want a different cup.

I'd say either jock or comp. shorts.,,, I'm 48 & just coming back to the scene, I had my first kickboxing match in 20 something years, long story short, I took two mistakes to the groin, I didn't like the jock strap before the fight,but after that, I was thankful for ANY protection,.,,,,don't leave home without it

Not only do they not impede kicking, but you can hide your ninja stars in there, too, if you get 'em a little baggy.

Thanks everyone for the info.

I got a pair of body armour compression shorts. It has a pocket to fit the cup in.

Right now i am just using a plastic 10 dollar cup.

It doesn't impede at all...and they feel great....

those schockdocter compression shorts are a god-send, highly recommend them. Far better than jockstraps.

Back