Complicated Situation with BFF

Should have made him sign something of some sort imo.. Loaning money to friends usually never ends up well. I've loaned money to family members and had them duck me. Money can be the root of all evil.

Long story short:

It’s about my best friend.
When we met years ago, we immediately hit it off. Chilling, talking, helping each other. He was closer to me than my family, and we both helped each other out of some hard situations. We had each other’s back and never had problems of any sort. #nohomo
About two years ago, he started his own business, while I moved abroad for about a year. When I came back, he started asking for help. Everything was the same, except he needed sums in the neighborhood of 500 bucks every few weeks as he was planning ‘business trips’ or needed help for his enterprise. I thought “fuck the money, my homie needs help”.
When all was said and done, I’d given him over 2000 bucks, with the promise of him returning it about 6 mths later. When the time came, I politely asked for it, he explained he couldn’t return it. I said “ok, hopefully you can soon”.
Later he said his laptop was broken, so he temporarily needed one. I gave him mine, a 2500 dollar beast of a laptop. He disappeared a day before he was due to return it, said police had confiscated it and a bunch of other shit because he was ‘wrongfully accused’ of some shit (which I actually believe him about), so he went to another town to work off his court-assigned ‘community service’.
Now he’s back.
So far he owes me 4500 dollars at least.
My other closest friend also gave him another 5000, being equally naive.
Now this asshole is avoiding and hiding from both of us...

I found out from an acquaintance where he lives. I’m gonna go there tomorrow. What should I do...?
I promised I wouldn’t beat him, even though physically crippling this rat would satisfy me greatly... what else is there to do though?
I’m not getting my money, neither is my other friend... we’re both leaving the country for upwards of 5 years this December...

Idk, just felt like sharing. I am disappointed. I always believed in friendship, brotherhood, loyalty, trust, honesty, honor, etc etc etc...
I thought for the longest time this man had these qualities, and he did... what happened...?

Discuss.

Cliffs:
-BFF in question was a great friend. Loyal and helpful to the end.
-Said BFF started asking for money, gave him money and items worth ~5000$. He was due to return them 6 months ago. He didn’t.
-Now he’s hiding from me and another guy he owes money to. I found out where. What are my options aside from beating the shit out of him? What would you do? How would you feel?
Sounds like hes been doing this to ppl for years. He latches on and drains u. Sorry for your situation.

Hes not gonna pay u back. Either try to take him to court or move on from this leech.

You deserve better

Be a fucking man and kick this guy in the nuts once he opens the door. You then push yourself inside and quickly close the door. Shove a tube sock in his mouth and a couple wraps of duct tape. Then you punch him a couple times in the guts and tell him you are going to help yourself, you then take whatever you want until you feel even. Make sure you don't leave finger prints or anything, boom you're fucking gold and get to disappear for 5 years and he won't tell a soul cuz you will whisper in his ear you will come back and finish it if henever tells anyone.

You're welcome.

I had a similar situation but it was only about 100 dollars. I lent him money to buy games cuz it was "on sale". Only to learned that he would later return the games and pocket the money. I would also share my gaming account with him and he'd steal all my shit. Still didn't get my money back. You should've stopped at the first 500.

B4CwxZgIAAA7XaF.jpg

Are you ... headed for a non-extradition type country? Because

giphy.gif

lmfao

Long story short:

When we met years ago, we immediately hit it off. Chilling, talking, helping each other. He was closer to me than my family, and we both helped each other out of some hard situations. We had each other’s back and never had problems of any sort. #nohomo
About two years ago, he started his own business, while I moved abroad for about a year. When I came back, he started asking for help. Everything was the same, except he needed sums in the neighborhood of 500 bucks every few weeks as he was planning ‘business trips’ or needed help for his enterprise. I thought “fuck the money, my homie needs help”.
When all was said and done, I’d given him over 2000 bucks, with the promise of him returning it about 6 mths later. When the time came, I politely asked for it, he explained he couldn’t return it. I said “ok, hopefully you can soon”.
Later he said his laptop was broken, so he temporarily needed one. I gave him mine, a 2500 dollar beast of a laptop. He disappeared a day before he was due to return it, said police had confiscated it and a bunch of other shit because he was ‘wrongfully accused’ of some shit (which I actually believe him about), so he went to another town to work off his court-assigned ‘community service’.
Now he’s back.

I found out from an acquaintance where he lives. I’m gonna go there tomorrow. What should I do...?
I promised I wouldn’t beat him, even though physically crippling this rat would satisfy me greatly... what else is there to do though?
I’m not getting my money, neither is my other friend... we’re both leaving the country for upwards of 5 years this December...

Idk, just felt like sharing. I am disappointed. I always believed in friendship, brotherhood, loyalty, trust, honesty, honor, etc etc etc...
I thought for the longest time this man had these qualities, and he did... what happened...?

Discuss.

Cliffs:
-Said BFF started asking for money, gave him money and items worth ~5000$. He was due to return them 6 months ago. He didn’t.
-Now he’s hiding from me and another guy he owes money to. I found out where. What are my options aside from beating the shit out of him? What would you do? How would you feel?
Take that motherfucker to judge jewdy. Rep sherdog on tv

th

I'm being 100% serious. For $4500 you can still take him to small claims court. Do NOT handle this "in the streets." Take him to court and make sure you take any texts/messages/promissory notes that you have with you.

ProTip: If someone says they'll pay you when they get their income tax refund.... They're not.

I hope you can get it squared away.

Ps. I think your homie is strung out on drugs.

Why do you doubt he has drug problems? His behavior and his inability to pay you back makes me think it's drugs, gambling, or both.

Yep. My first thought was drugs. And now we know he's had drug problems before. I'm almost certain it's drugs.

Long story short:

Now he’s back.

Discuss.

Cliffs:
To all the guys saying ‘talk to him’: I’ve tried, he’s always got a bullshit excuse. I’m done believing it and I’m done calling him ‘friend’. There’s no place for people like that in my life, especially now that I’m about to make some drastic changes in my life and direction.
To the guy who suggested he might be strung out - he has had drug problems, but I doubt he still does.

He is certainly not your friend, and he does not have your money to give you. You really don't have options. Judge Judy maybe? That was a lot of money to give someone, and a lot of trust you put in him letting him borrow your computer...

There's a significant chance that your visit goes bad somebody ends up hurt or in jail.

Legally, you have no recourse unless you have something in writing. Move on and take it as a lesson learned.
Not true, a verbal contract is still legally binding. You just have to get him to admit that he owes it to you. Then its a slam dunk in small claims court.

I don't know what the law says about wearing a wire or taping a phone call but if you can get him to admit it...

Edit: and he technically doesn't even have to admit he owes it to you. Civil court is based on a prepoderance of the evidence. If the Jury or Judge believes that you are more likely to be telling the truth, you win.

Not true, a verbal contract is still legally binding. You just have to get him to admit that he owes it to you. Then its a slam dunk in small claims court.

I don't know what the law says about wearing a wire or taping a phone call but if you can get him to admit it...

Edit: and he technically doesn't even have to admit he owes it to you. Civil court is based on a prepoderance of the evidence. If the Jury or Judge believes that you are more likely to be telling the truth, you win.
Good to know, thanks.

I can't believe you would lend your friend that much money in the first place, then give him your laptop while he owes you. I learned as a kid, lending a measly 5-10 bucks to "friends," most of them never pay you back. I learned that lesson quick.

Now on principal, I never borrow from or lend friends money. If I lend somebody money, it's only amounts so small I'm pretty much giving it to them. If they pay me back, great, if not, no big deal.

Long story short:

Now he’s back.

Discuss.

Cliffs:
No contact. Forever.

Why do you doubt he has drug problems? His behavior and his inability to pay you back makes me think it's drugs, gambling, or both.
I’d be able to tell. Also, he lives with a few mutual acquaintances, and they don’t think he does drugs.

Back