Complete beginner question...

Donger Banks

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi,

This is really just a quick terminology question from a complete beginner but I was hoping someone could clear it up for me.

I've heard people refer to "setups" for particular attacks and I've also heard them refer to "entries" into particular attacks. I was just wondering, are setups and entries are essentially the same thing?

Without hearing it in context I would think an "entry" is an opening to do something (more of a reaction based on something happening) and "setup" as sequence of moves that are used to execute a specific move. An entry would be like the opening you use to go after the attack. I could be wrong and I feel like they might be used interchangeably .

Without hearing it in context I would think an "entry" is an opening to do something (more of a reaction based on something happening) and "setup" as sequence of moves that are used to execute a specific move. I could be wrong and I feel like they might be used interchangeably .
I think of an entry as a way to get to a position, (guard, x guard, DLR, etc) and a setup as a sequence from a position to get an attack or move

setups -> entries -> attacks

so like, getting the grip on a kimura from north/south -> sitting up to teabag -> then cranking the arm

leg drag -> 4/11 or ashi -> attacking the heel hook

collar tie/arm trap -> throwing your legs up and locking the triangle -> turning for the angle and squeezing/attacking the armbar

buuuut that's because i've got a judo bias, and that's how our sequences work for throwing: grip -> momentum -> entry -> throw

you could totally reverse the concept of setup and entry like mattemate and minnja said, where your setup is the sequence that you use to progress to a submission.

either way, it's good to think of things as a progression, and as you train your muscle memory learn to blend them all together.

you don't want to compartmentalize movement too much, but it does help some people.

Back