COMPETITION LOG - 2017 S&C Deadlift Comp

Obviously everyone is different, but for me I think maxing out every four weeks is overkill. I max out a couple times a year at most. I also think deloading so often is a bit of a waste, but again that's just my opinion and everyone is different.

Keep in mind, my lifts are very low compared to most others participating in this competition - apart from running the 5/3/1 4 week cycle, how else would I know where my 1RM max is, especially for this comp?

Keep in mind, my lifts are very low compared to most others participating in this competition - apart from running the 5/3/1 4 week cycle, how else would I know where my 1RM max is, especially for this comp?

The competition isn't over until the end of the year. So, like japman said, maxing out every 4 weeks is a bit much.

I'm not trying to be a dick at all here, so don't take it that way, but you really don't need to know where your PR/1RM is at every 4 weeks. At your level, it's pretty safe to assume that if all your training weights are going up consistently, so is your PR.

You can definitely get away with testing more frequently than someone a lot stronger, but you don't need to do it every 4 weeks. It gets really taxing and isn't worth disrupting a training day.

Red Team Names
Sumo Midgets
Sherdog Natties
9 Inch Barbells

The competition isn't over until the end of the year. So, like japman said, maxing out every 4 weeks is a bit much.

I'm not trying to be a dick at all here, so don't take it that way, but you really don't need to know where your PR/1RM is at every 4 weeks. At your level, it's pretty safe to assume that if all your training weights are going up consistently, so is your PR.

You can definitely get away with testing more frequently than someone a lot stronger, but you don't need to do it every 4 weeks. It gets really taxing and isn't worth disrupting a training day.

Don't worry about my feelings, I am so new to this so I may ask or say something you deem completely stupid. I figure there are 6 months left, so rougly 8 times I can try and max out or work to reach my goal (around 425-440lbs)

I 100% agree. But, it's been about 180 fortnights since I've given any fucks about any lifting programs, so I'm curious as to what the suggested strategy is for determining a max on which to base your next cycle?

Don't worry about my feelings, I am so new to this so I may ask or say something you deem completely stupid. I figure there are 6 months left, so rougly 8 times I can try and max out or work to reach my goal (around 425-440lbs)

Cliche, but if you're new to this stuff, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

I'm not familiar with 5/3/1, but what I'm saying is that you don't have to use all 8 of those times to max out. Maybe, say, you try for a new PR after your next 2 cycles of 5/3/1.

Maxing out 8 times in 6 months is nutty. Your average experienced lifter would probably max out somewhere between zero and one time in that timeframe, provided they weren't competing.

That being said, it's probably not the best way to add pounds to your deadlift, but there could definitely be some strategy (as far as this comp goes) to getting a video of a new 1rm periodically.

Just so no one has anything to bitch and cry about...

weight x reps x sets, because that's the proper way to do it.

Deadlift (paused below knee):
145x3
172.5x3
200x2
215x2x4

Bench Press:
95x5
115x4
132.5x3
152.5x2x4

Single Arm Tricep Pushdowns:
60x6
50x6
45x6x3

Leg Extension / Leg Press Superset:
100 / 4 plates (/side) x6x5

Back Extensions:
+10 lbs x8x4

Notes:
First deadlift day of the new programming. Pulling 2x/week. No belt, hook grip. I plan on doing all my deadlift work with a 29mm Rogue Ohio Power Bar and competition discs, but obviously I'll be using the deadlift bar and metal plates for my submissions, since that's what I used for my starting submission.

Cliche, but if you're new to this stuff, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

I'm not familiar with 5/3/1, but what I'm saying is that you don't have to use all 8 of those times to max out. Maybe, say, you try for a new PR after your next 2 cycles of 5/3/1.

Wait, that kind of hurt my feelings.

Maxing out 8 times in 6 months is nutty. Your average experienced lifter would probably max out somewhere between zero and one time in that timeframe, provided they weren't competing.

That being said, it's probably not the best way to add pounds to your deadlift, but there could definitely be some strategy (as far as this comp goes) to getting a video of a new 1rm periodically.

Interesting.

So the 5/3/1, like 5x5, claims to add pounds to your lifts. Each time you finish a cycle in 5/3/1, you increase your 1RM (well, 90% of it at least) by 5lbs for OHP/Bench and 10lbs for deads/squats. On 5x5, you pick a low weight and you get your reps you increase your weight until you hit that wall. So how does this not increase pounds to the various lifts?

I don't understand your question.

You'll get stronger, but that doesn't mean you have to max out to verify it.

But seriously, can you explain what you're confused about?

I guess the app (5/3/1) is designed around continually improving your 1RM so I was just surprised that when you or the other chap said that people don't try and max out but once or twice a year.

I don't like deloading myself either, but I figured if the 4th week was deload anyway, it was a good time (just on Deads) to max out.

I guess the app (5/3/1) is designed around continually improving your 1RM

On paper, your training max will go up each month. That doesn't mean you have to physically perform the rep.

Also, as Japman said before, if you don't think you need to deload, you could just skip that week and roll right into the next training cycle. Maybe do the deload week every second cycle.

I don't like deloading myself either, but I figured if the 4th week was deload anyway, it was a good time (just on Deads) to max out.

That would definitely be the right time to max out, but that doesn't mean you have to do it every time.

Back