Competing in "big" competitions

JagRoss

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Thoughts about competing at "big" competitions?

I'm thinking of competing at the IBJJF euros.

I'm a blue belt and I've competed regionally a few times.
I'm not a full time competitor by any stretch, but I do train 5-6 days a week.

Would the level of full time competitors at blue belt be much higher?
Is it worth paying the $300 - $400 for the experience?

How well do you do in those comps? What do you want to get out of competing in the euros?

I only recently got promoted to Blue, although I've been training for a while (moved around a lot).

I've competed once at blue, at the Geneva Open where I took silver.

I competed 5 times at white. Never won.
Best accomplishment was a Silver at the London Open. Apart from that I've gotten bronze once, and otherwise haven't medaled.

I'm not sure what I want to get out of the Euros.

Honestly, I have a vague sense that it would be good for my Jiu-jitsu, that it's a good thing to compete, and people at the academy are asking me to compete.

I wouldn't say that I enjoy competing, but I don't mind it either.

I don't know how useful competitions have been to my improvement.
I've gotten better at competing for sure (I lost in a lot of competitions due to fixable mistakes, e.g. game planning, pulling guard correctly, etc).

Honestly, I have a vague sense that it would be good for my Jiu-jitsu, that it's a good thing to compete, and people at the academy are asking me to compete.

I wouldn't say that I enjoy competing, but I don't mind it either.

I don't know how useful competitions have been to my improvement.
I've gotten better at competing for sure (I lost in a lot of competitions due to fixable mistakes, e.g. game planning, pulling guard correctly, etc).
If youre doing it to gain experience and is kind of "meh" about it, you should almost save the money and do a smaller regional tournament. If youre a new blue belt, you should maybe wait a little also to see if you have success at smaller shows, train a little more and then get into the deeper waters with some of the forever blue belt competitors.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're that keen to do the competition - so I would say pass. I wouldn't spend money to travel to Lisbon for a competition that I wasn't 100% up for, you can always do it in future.

Thoughts about competing at "big" competitions?

I'm thinking of competing at the IBJJF euros.

I'm a blue belt and I've competed regionally a few times.
I'm not a full time competitor by any stretch, but I do train 5-6 days a week.

Would the level of full time competitors at blue belt be much higher?
Is it worth paying the $300 - $400 for the experience?

Euros is freaking awesome. If you can stay the whole time the tournament is going on it's even better.

BUT it's not a place anyone goes to just "check it out", at all levels of the tournament, it's a beast.

If the money doesn't matter then do it. Enjoy the experience and learn from it for future tournaments.

If the money is an issue then it doesn't sound like you are committed to it enough to justify it.

The bigger tournaments draw more people both good and bad. Don't listen to these people on Sherdog who think today's blue belts would smash black belts of 10 years ago. However, if you are newly promoted you may be facing an almost-purple with 3 years at blue and a lot of experience.

Go for it

Pain heals. Chicks dig cauliflower. Glory lasts forever.

It's a great experience and Lisbon is an amazing city, definitely spend a couple days exploring after the tournament. If money isn't an issue just go for it. Prepare as best you can and have fun with it

Lisbon is one of the coolest places - A MUST VISIT beside the fact that the Europeans are held there.

Sidenote: Bario Alto / Weekends / EUR 1.50 per beer -> JACKPOT

Lisbon is one of the coolest places - A MUST VISIT beside the fact that the Europeans are held there.

Sidenote: Bario Alto / Weekends / EUR 1.50 per beer -> JACKPOT

This guy gets it

Back