Comparing the 10 UFC fights of Conor and Khabib

Khabib's fights were at LW. His competition was tougher by default.

I don't know if I agree with this. Think about it this way, let's run a hypothetical tournament (at 155) with Conor's 4 best wins and Khabib's.

The Conor bracket

Max Holloway
Eddie Alvarez
Jose Aldo
Dustin Poirier

The Khabib bracket

Rafael dos Anjos
Edson Barboza
Al Iaquinta
Michael Johnson

Who dominates this bracket? Conor opponents or Khabib opponents?

If Conor had to earn his way up LW he would never even make it to a title shot in the first place. His record would be significantly worse than Khabib's.

I don't know if I agree with this. Think about it this way, let's run a hypothetical tournament (at 155) with Conor's 4 best wins and Khabib's.

The Conor bracket

Max Holloway
Eddie Alvarez
Jose Aldo
Dustin Poirier

The Khabib bracket

Rafael dos Anjos
Edson Barboza
Al Iaquinta
Michael Johnson

Who dominates this bracket? Conor opponents or Khabib opponents?
Your logic is flawed. You suppose Conor beats the FWs when they are at LW.

Max (that has grown into a man) at LW and Poirier at LW are different animals. Jose fighting smarter with improved boxing would give Conor a different fight.

Who dominates the brackets? Khabib beats them all. Conor would struggle with all the LWs

Lol you are a good sport. Thanks nonetheless.

Thanks dude, I'm not trying to back myself into my opinion with selective data. I always look at a fighters full body of work when making a prediction. I remember leading up to the Aldo vs McGregor fight. Most people thought Aldo would steamroll Conor and I thought Aldo should be the favorite but did feel confident that Conor had a realistic chance to compete with Aldo.

I think Khabib is very good, but not quite as invincible as some think he is. His whole style is predicated on closing this distance without taking significant damage he really hasn't fought anyone that can make him pay for his mistakes like Conor.

Your logic is flawed. You suppose Conor beats the FWs when they are at LW.

Max (that has grown into a man) at LW and Poirier at LW are different animals. Jose fighting smarter with improved boxing would give Conor a different fight.

And Khabib beats them all.

And yet you dance around the fact that Khabib's best four wins are blah...

Thats your opinion. I didnt dance around anything.

You're comparing stats of FWs vs LWs.

Last edited:
Thats your opinion. I didnt dance around anything.

You think Conor beats the LWs because he beat some FWs, but he jumped the line for his title shot. And was taken out by Diaz in the process.

No. I think Conor has fought better opponents than Khabib has. And I think his four best wins would outperform the four best wins of Khabib in a hypothetical tournament. If the Max Holloway that showed up against Conor had started his camp knowing that he was fighting at 155, he would have carried more mass and power into the fight and performed differently. Enough, IMO, to crush Edson Barboza or Al Iaquinta. And Eddie Alvarez already beat RDA at LW, so there's that piece of overwhelming evidence.

I don’t understand the need to diminish either fighter. Clash of the titans, I say.

Ish.

One titan has won belts in 2 weight classes and actually beat the champs to win the belts and fought a murderers row to get there.

The other titan won a decision over a real estate agent he couldn’t finish in 25 minutes.

But yeah, both resumes are impressive

RDA became a champ less than a year after Khabib beat him.

Al has a win over the current top 5 Kevin Lee and #9 WW Masvidal

MJ holds wins over 2 tops 5ers in Tony and Dustin. He also holds a win over 6th ranked Edson Barboza.

Barboza holds wins over former UFC and Strikeforce champions. This includes current # 8 ranked Pettis.

Far from blah.

Stats are deceptive and unreliable. This is a very close match up due to their unique styles and physical differences. Could go either way.

No. I think Conor has fought better opponents than Khabib has. And I think his four best wins would outperform the four best wins of Khabib in a hypothetical tournament. If the Max Holloway that showed up against Conor had started his camp knowing that he was fighting at 155, he would have carried more mass and power into the fight and performed differently. Enough, IMO, to crush Edson Barboza or Al Iaquinta. And Eddie Alvarez already beat RDA at LW, so there's that piece of overwhelming evidence.
You're using all kinds of MMA math. An opinion, conjecture doesnt amount to much. No evidence conor beats Al or Barboza.

LW > FW. On any given night a fighter could beat another fighter. Too many variables that can affect the outcome, but we can say Khabib dominated more LWs than Conor. And a fight with Poirier now at LW would not guarantee him the same outcome.

I like numbers. They tell their own story and they rarely add bullshit like people do. Draw your own conclusions, but I'm going to run through some facts:

Fact 1

Conor and Khabib both have 10 UFC fights​
Facts 2 and 3

Conor is 9-1 in the UFC
Khabib is 10-0 in the UFC​
Facts 4-7

Conor's UFC opponents are a combined 107-52 (67.30 winning %) in their own UFC fights
Conor's UFC opponents are a combined 208-74 (73.76 winning %) in all of their fights
Khabib's UFC opponents are a combined 82-60 (57.75 winning %) in their own UFC fights
Khabib's UFC opponents are a combined 203-95 (68.12 winning %) in all of their fights​

My conclusion is that Conor has fought significantly better UFC opponents than Khabib and will soundly defeat him when they fight. Interested in other conclusions and kindly ask that they're backed by data.
<mma4>

I think it is obvious that McGregor has faced better competition. I don't think that means he will therefore defeat Khabib. I think Khabib has the edge in this match up.
Based on what, the fact that Kalabeeb has beaten lesser competition..??
tenor.gif

Id suggest you take a look at the caliber of competition that makes up his so called perfect record to see how padded his record actually is, most of the guys hes fought and their records make Artem Lobovs record look impressive.

I like numbers. They tell their own story and they rarely add bullshit like people do. Draw your own conclusions, but I'm going to run through some facts:

Fact 1

Conor and Khabib both have 10 UFC fights​
Facts 2 and 3

Conor is 9-1 in the UFC
Khabib is 10-0 in the UFC​
Facts 4-7

Conor's UFC opponents are a combined 107-52 (67.30 winning %) in their own UFC fights
Conor's UFC opponents are a combined 208-74 (73.76 winning %) in all of their fights
Khabib's UFC opponents are a combined 82-60 (57.75 winning %) in their own UFC fights
Khabib's UFC opponents are a combined 203-95 (68.12 winning %) in all of their fights​

My conclusion is that Conor has fought significantly better UFC opponents than Khabib and will soundly defeat him when they fight. Interested in other conclusions and kindly ask that they're backed by data.
tenor.gif

Styles make fights. Khabib will either run face first into Conor's fist with that sloppy pressure boxing of his or lay on top of Conor for 5 rounds. No one can be seriously certain.

When you want to use numbers to calculate chances of a guy winning you have to take way more factors into account than you just did.

Math is a great way to guess outcomes. But for it to work you have to actually put in some serious data.

This is like the attempt of a High School student who just learned the basics about statistics and probability.

I am not going to act like I could form an equation that covers all the details but that attempt here is extremely superficial to say the least.

For example we have no indicator as to how Khabib would have done vs the same competition and vice versa. They don't even have common opponents or similar styles.

When you want to use numbers to calculate chances of a guy winning you have to take way more factors into account than you just did.

Math is a great way to guess outcomes. But for it to work you have to actually put in some serious data.

This is like the attempt of a High School student who just learned the basics about statistics and probability.

I am not going to act like I could form an equation that covers all the details but that attempt here is extremely superficial to say the least.

For example we have no indicator as to how Khabib would have done vs the same competition and vice versa. They don't even have common opponents or similar styles.

If you're saying that more factors could be taken into account, I totally agree with you. To downplay one's competition however, is undermining the foundation of how fighters are evaluated. Not only are we looking at the UFC records of Conor and Khabib, we're looking at the UFC records of their opponents. When trying to estimate who will win between two fighters, most people fixate on their opponents to try to gauge the outcome. By going a step further and looking at the opponents of opponents, your body of data grows larger and anomalies are smoothed out. It's hard to deny that Conor's body of work in the UFC is superior to Khabib's.

Additionally, the thread is intended for those who suggest that Khabib will win based on a number of dominant performances. The reality is that he has 6 UFC decisions over a lower caliber of opponent than Conor has faced. Of this more talented pool of opponents, Conor has stopped 7 of them by TKO. I'm fine if you don't arrive at the conclusion that Conor will win based on the data that's been provided. That said, it should certainly sow doubt into the minds of those who think that Khabib is going to walk across the cage, throw Conor down, and have his way with him.

Here are my facts backed by data: MMAth does not work.

If you're saying that more factors could be taken into account, I totally agree with you. To downplay one's competition however, is undermining the foundation of how fighters are evaluated. Not only are we looking at the UFC records of Conor and Khabib, we're looking at the UFC records of their opponents. When trying to estimate who will win between two fighters, most people fixate on their opponents to try to gauge the outcome. By going a step further and looking at the opponents of opponents, your body of data grows larger and anomalies are smoothed out. It's hard to deny that Conor's body of work in the UFC is superior to Khabib's.

Additionally, the thread is intended for those who suggest that Khabib will win based on a number of dominant performances. The reality is that he has 6 UFC decisions over a lower caliber of opponent than Conor has faced. Of this more talented pool of opponents, Conor has stopped 7 of them by TKO. I'm fine if you don't arrive at the conclusion that Conor will win based on the data that's been provided. That said, it should certainly sow doubt into the minds of those who think that Khabib is going to walk across the cage, throw Conor down, and have his way with him.

You have a blatant flaw.
You generalize what numbers mean just because it gives the impression to support your claim.

If LW division is a stronger division than FW, with better fighters, then fighters at the top might have worse records, but because they are fighting overall better competition.
At the same token, because FW has worse fighters, it is easier for the top to beat those fighters making their records better and creating the illusion they are better fighters by looking strictly at their records.

So your point is proven wrong by common sense.

With the above, I am not arguing Khabib fought better opponents or Conor worse. I am merely showing how your data is utterly unreliable and being misused by you.

Back