Comparing Conor McGregor & BJ Penn

YOLOGOGOPLATA

4x Champ Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know this will seem blasphemous to some, but I wanted to throw out a thought I had today - That BJ Penn and Conor Mcgregor will go down with very similar legacies. The obvious link is that both men have won titles in 2 different weight classes, but I think the most important thing about both men is their ambitious mentality; the genuine willingness they have to fight anybody. Penn is idolized for the size of his balls and fighting anywhere from 145 to fighting Machida (225lbs) when Penn himself weighed 191.
Conor's history of taking short notice opponents, jumping around weight classes on a whim, just so that he could take on his perceived biggest challenge is extremely ambitious, just as Penn was. Sure, both men have failed plenty, but they have also succeeded on a historical level in MMA. Does this comparison of "warrior spirit" make sense to anyone (I know the responses I'll get from fanboys of either man lol), or am I just crazy and a little stoned?

TL;DR - McGregor and Penn are very similar in mindset, confidence and ambition as fighters.

DKUR9Tk.png

The similarities are there.

Penn's work ethic is not half of McGregor's though, which sucks cause I wanted to see Penn rule Lightweight for a while. He took a lot of damage at the heavier divisions and standing and trading with bigger men.
Cut his already jumbled career short

Ll for lb among the strongest MMA fighters ever, as well as high fight IQ. The prodigy!

Yeah they have some huge similarities:

1. Like you said, huge balls when it comes to self confidence and challenging anyone

2. Both are extremely dangerous early on, but fades after the 2nd round (cardio issues)

3. Both are known to fold when things don't go their way, Penn going on defensive mode and Conor on tapping mode

4. Surrounded by yes men

Last edited:

1. Like you said, huge balls when it comes to self confidence and challenging anyone

2. Both are extremely dangerous early on, but fades after the 2nd round (cardio issues)

3. Both are known to fold when things don't go their way, Penn going on defensive mode and Conor on tapping mode
All that stuff is true. Personality wise they are very different. And Conor was not confident going into the khabib fight. This whole thing got way out of hand.

Not even close.

Ok maybe a little...

But no.
I’d love to hear you all expand on why you feel one way or the other. I know BJ is the ultimate warrior but nostalgia is very powerful. I think there is a good chance that in 10 years McGregor will be similarly revered for taking on the biggest challenges. Admittedly, his personal decisions make it tougher to root for him than BJ

Both tarnished their legacy by making the same mistake and not continuing to compete at the weight class which was best suited for them to be successful, and in doing so failed to achieve the long string of title defenses/extended unbeaten streak which tends to be requisite for GOAT status.

Last edited:

Dude, first round Penn or McGregor is among the most dangerous fighters ever in the UFC.
Penn has won most of his first rounds...which includes some welterweights.

But tarnished their legacy by making the same mistake and not continuing to compete at the weight class which was best suited for them to be successful, and in doing so failed to achieve the long string of title defenses/extended unbeaten streak which tends to be requisite for GOAT status.
Conor looked like shit weighing at 145. Maybe long term health fx from cutting that much

Both great fighters no doubt
But one killed himself to be the bigger man
The other one ate to be big enough to compete against 220 pounds machida
Both are natural lw imo, but only bj fought bigger guys

maxresdefault.jpg

BJ weighed in with jeans on and was still 3lbs under 170 to fight a top ranked WW.

Conor taking on "bigger challenges" is blown way out of proportion. Yes he went from 145-170, but it's not like he fought an actual WW, he fought another LW and both cut minimal weight. He's been as big or bigger than just about everyone he's fought.

I know this will seem blasphemous to some, but I wanted to throw out a thought I had today - That BJ Penn and Conor Mcgregor will go down with very similar legacies. The obvious link is that both men have won titles in 2 different weight classes, but I think the most important thing about both men is their ambitious mentality; the genuine willingness they have to fight anybody. Penn is idolized for the size of his balls and fighting anywhere from 145 to fighting Machida (225lbs) when Penn himself weighed 191.
Conor's history of taking short notice opponents, jumping around weight classes on a whim, just so that he could take on his perceived biggest challenge is extremely ambitious, just as Penn was. Sure, both men have failed plenty, but they have also succeeded on a historical level in MMA. Does this comparison of "warrior spirit" make sense to anyone (I know the responses I'll get from fanboys of either man lol), or am I just crazy and a little stoned?

TL;DR - McGregor and Penn are very similar in mindset, confidence and ambition as fighters.

[<diva4}

I know BJ is the ultimate warrior but nostalgia is very powerful. I think there is a good chance that in 10 years McGregor will be similarly revered for taking on the biggest challenges.
<IllKillU>

I’d love to hear you all expand on why you feel one way or the other. I know BJ is the ultimate warrior but nostalgia is very powerful. I think there is a good chance that in 10 years McGregor will be similarly revered for taking on the biggest challenges. Admittedly, his personal decisions make it tougher to root for him than BJ

I gave it a little bit more thought and edited my post to simply...
Not even close.

Firstly, BJ risked losing his titles by defending them. Conor ran immediately after winning titles.

Secondly, it is universally known that BJ is a warrior that willingly fought anyone anywhere. If Conor truly was a warrior like BJ, he wouldn't have disappeared for 2 years after winning the title from Eddie whom most people don't actually consider the best in the weight class. I give props to Conor for taking on the Khabib fight, but let's face it, after the Artem and bus incident and all that built-up drama and animosity, the stars have aligned that made it potentially the biggest money fight in UFC history. Conor came back for the money, not for the challenge.

Fuck you TS, how dare you compare Conor with BJ Penn.

BJ Penn actually fought anyone, anywhere at any fucking weight. He didn't duck anyone, Conor avoided Khabib until he couldn't possibly anymore.

BJ would fight Khabib tomorrow, he was a fucking beast. Conor is all talk, BJ won his belts on beer and hotdogs bro. He beat the best LW and best WW of his generation! And that wasn't enough so he challenged the next WW GOAT and possible GOAT of all time.

For fuck sake, ban?

Give it a rest with the mcgregor jumping around weight classes gimmick. dude fought a fat lw journeyman with no camp at 170, that is by no means impressive.

Back