Compare Khabib's grappling to Fedor's.

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
Only thing against Fedors' grappling in my opinion, is that he does have submission wins, but he never had any notable against opponents with a BJJ blackbelt, which says something.

Also, Fedor seems to be mostly dependant on his explosiveness which seems to have all but disappered at LEAST half a decade ago, when he's put on his back, and doesn't seem to be any good at preventing someone from passing his guard.

Fedor obviously has a better Judo credentials, not many in this history of MMA do, you can probably count in one hand, and Khabib has no notable credentials in wrestling or Judo.

Khabib on his back looks like he's comfortable there, but when you look at Fedor on his back, it just looks like he's laying there and only really looking to explode out of there or sweep, unless someone's in his guard and is not a black belt in BJJ.

Fedor obviously accomplished a lot more in Combat Sambo, but even to this day, for me anyways, as it has been back when there weren't all these new breeds Russian guys in the UFC and MMA, there weren't many elite combat sambo guys. And the world champions in Combat Sambo better than Khabib has really struggled outside Fedor and that russian guy, I forget his name.

Fedor's GNP is a lot more vicious, but Khabib does seem to have a better control on top, and just riding a guy out.

At the end of the day, Khabib really looks more like a wrestler, and Fedor looks more like a Judo guy, though Khabib also does mix in Judo throws here and there chaining them up with his wrestling, though lots of throws are also in wrestling too.

I always believed in Fedor being a GOAT, before GSP, but I gotta say, Khabib looks more like a competent grappler of the two, with Fedor being a better judo guy. When you watch Fedor's recent sparring in grappling, my jaw drops because this guy looks like he never wrestled in his life.

Only thing against Fedors' grappling in my opinion, is that he does have submission wins, but he never had any notable against opponents with a BJJ blackbelt, which says something.

Uhhh... Nogueira?

So Fedor beating the ever loving shit out of Big Nog didn't satisfy you because he didn't submit him?

So Fedor beating the ever loving shit out of Big Nog didn't satisfy you because he didn't submit him?

I had a chance to talk about Fedor with a high level bjj black belt once, but that's the point he brought up, in that he never submitted legit black belt, which I think is a fair point.

You can't really easily compare the grappling of a LW vs a HW. It is a whole different game in most ways. Much more movement and technique at lighter weights. More power and positional dominance in HW.

You have to realize that Fedor only fought the elite of elite fighters and never had fights against lower levels of competition. Also in ever fight he was outweighed by at least 30 lbs.

You can't really easily compare the grappling of a LW vs a HW. It is a whole different game in most ways. Much more movement and technique at lighter weights. More power and positional dominance in HW.

Well we can always try

You have to realize that Fedor only fought the elite of elite fighters and never had fights against lower levels of competition. Also in ever fight he was outweighed by at least 30 lbs.

giphy.gif

No he fucking wasn't lmao.

I'm not saying you do, but some people actually believe this garbage lol.

Fedor had some serious power in his punches, which allowed him to have a more well rounded game.

Khabib prefers to stand only as long as it takes to get it to the ground.

Fedor was always looking for submissions. Khabib is content beating up his opponent with his fists & elbows.

Fedor had some great reversals and transitions when the opponent got the upper hand on the mat, whereas Khabib hasn't lost the upper hand yet.

so they are both good at control; but Khabib is better. but Fedor was a better all around fighter. then again, if Khabib wins in one way, the fact he isn't an all around better fighter is pretty negligible, isn't it?

The elite of elite fighters ?
God dayum, that’s some revisionist history right there. He’s not called a can crusher for nothing you know ?

I had a chance to talk about Fedor with a high level bjj black belt once, but that's the point he brought up, in that he never submitted legit black belt, which I think is a fair point.
I remember one of the black belt instructors where i go talking about him at the end of a class. He basicly just said he had an awesome ground game as far as getting out of bad positions

Fedor once accused Bigfoot's camp of using voodoo during their fight to win. True Story.

I remember one of the black belt instructors where i go talking about him at the end of a class. He basicly just said he had an awesome ground game as far as getting out of bad positions

I mean the guy that I was talking to also was an instructor, high level black belt, not sure if I could call him a world class, but international competitior, probably wouldn't look out of place against world class guys, and he wasn't really dismissive of his grappling either, but just pointing out a fact that he probably felt relevant to the discussion about what we really could tell from his ground game in MMA, which I think was a fair point, and he was complimentary of Fedor as a fighter, he said some more about Fedor, but I forgot

Also Khabib doesn't routinely beat substantially bigger guys, which fedor did (albeit of a lesser quality of fighter)

Does Khabib have any notable sub wins over anyone of that level?

I would say of the two of them Fedor is the more proven off of his back by a long long way, its just that he was never really someone who just looked to defend. People rubbish the wins over Coleman but it takes some serious skill of a HW to hit an armbar that fast plus sweeping Nog and indeed Randleman is NOT easy. You could argue that left Fedor in a bad spot when his grappling dropped off though as vs Bigfoot, he was basically still trying to fight like he had his old skill level rather than defending which let Silva get position quite easily.

The big difference of course is that Fedor was very often looking to strike not to take an opponent down, fights were he's the one looking for takedowns are probablyy in the minority in his career. Khabib on the other hand has always been the one looking for takedowns, its the overriding aspect of every fight he's in.

Style wise I would say Fedor is more judo with a bit of wrestling where as Khabib is wrestling with a bit of judo working far more by pressure rather than timing

In terms of GnP Khabib goes much more for the relentless, I mean he makes more range for it than most wrestlers so it does have power but he doesn't have the one shot power Fedor did. I think that power is underrated just because Nog and Herring were so dam tough, the majority of HW's would have been TKOed fast when he opened up like that or maybe even straight KOed.

ya that's my point too. he got out of bad situations as well as anyone, because his ground game was powerful and fluid, but we've never seen Khabib in a bad situation yet. that makes it hard to compare. we've seen Khabib chain together offensive moves only - which he does tremendously for the sole purpose of takedown and control.

and Khabib doesn't even go for subs. so the fact that Fedor only successfully subs non black belts, and Khabib doesn't even do that also makes the comparison difficult.

i think it's safe to say that Fedor has a more singular judo game, whereas Khabib has successfully (so far) combined judo, sambo and freestyle. he uses freestyle close distance, and if the double doesn't work, uses judo trips & throws to get it to the mat. whereas Fedor used his fists to get inside, and used throws & trips exclusively to get it to the ground.

that's a very long way of saying, trying to compare their games is complex.

Last edited:
Back