Comic Books You Read as a Kid?

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I used to read comics when I was younger, I remember having trouble with being able to read when I was 8 years old, and my mother started buying me Beano/Dandy comics, which are in England:

cf77bbba6ea68e1b27634d3ded0edd8f--childrens-comics-s-kids.jpg

I read these and collected the annuals for years.

I also read some more adult themed comics, Captain Britain and Judge Dredd;

images

I remember there being a Judge Dredd comic series in the 90s, it was like post-apocalyptic, and one of his friends had a missing arm, I can't seem to find it anywhere, but I remember reading it as a kid, it was badass.

How about you?

Mostly Xmen and Spider-Man.

But I also loved “Thing.”

And I had an extensive collection that had a little of everything.

Are u English? Looking at that beano mag... there's a famous pic of Eric Clapton circa 1965/1966 or so sitting against a wall reading a beano mag.

My favorite was the incredible hulk... fantastic four.. Spiderman. I still have them and am going to sell them eventually.

I collected Hulk, Thor, and Silver Surfer.

But I read almost everything.

LOBO and Hard-boiled..

I had an older brother...

Was not much of a comic hero kid, my favorite is still Venom to this day when anyone asks who my favorite comic book character is..

i had an old dad (two sons twenty years apart) by the time i came around he was in school for his PHD so education was one of his goals but school was taking pretty much all of his money.

my dad shoplifted a book of all the origin comics from DC and gave it to me and i tried my best to learn enough to be able to read all the comics. Later when he was deep in his dissertation i would go to the library with him and read all the comics they had while my dad was writing his dissertation.

my dad always favored education when i was a child and he would give me all sorts of comics to try ad boost my interest in reading. the most loved comics i got though was when he picked up 10 collected books of Dragon Ball i read those so many times it was ridiculous.

Are u English? Looking at that beano mag... there's a famous pic of Eric Clapton circa 1965/1966 or so sitting against a wall reading a beano mag.

My favorite was the incredible hulk... fantastic four.. Spiderman. I still have them and am going to sell them eventually.

Yes, I am.

Yeah, Beano comics were really funny. Good characters and just fun to read.

X-factor, F-4, X-men, Superman, Batman, silver surfer, and I liked any comics that were dedicated to introducing new characters.

I read the Beano and Dandy as a kid too

450061a04247cd05a78d2eef456ab78d.jpg

dat toxic masculinity

Just looked and I was expecting to ruin my childhood by finding out they're both dead, but only The Dandy is. Beano still going in 2018 bro

really
he had a first son with his first wife and by the time i came around he got his act together and was going to school get his doctorate. not the same story but its a fairly common story with people being irresponsible young adults and then turning themselves around later in life.

The ones I read as a kid sucked. The ones I read now are awesome.

I read quite a bit of stuff as a teenager.

When I was 8 or 9 I bought a stack of used comics from value village one summer. It included issues of daredevil, cloak and dagger and GI joe along with some of those old Jademan titles like Bloodsword. I think I read all of them at least 20 times each over the course of that summer.

I had every single one of these...

lazysundaybook11.png

First I read funny British comics. Every week I'd get Cor!!, Topper, and The Sparky, which I thought superior to it's more famous cousin The Beano.
I'd buy the occasional Detective Comics and Green Lantern, but the supply of DC comics in England was very sporadic at that time.
Then Marvel came to the UK and published a weekly comic featuring the original Spiderman, Hulk and fantastic four strips. I was as happy as a pig in shit!
Later I progressed to newer Marvel comics featuring planet of the apes, then Dracula.
After Star Wars started the science fiction boom, I became hooked on the magnificent British comic Starlord.
Then I transitioned to novels, and my comic-buying days came to an end.

Attachments

• IMG_20180617_132307.jpg
    IMG_20180617_132307.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 3
  • LpAdvXTO_3004162050181sbpi.JPG
    LpAdvXTO_3004162050181sbpi.JPG
    943 KB · Views: 3
  • 1946351-sparky1976.jpg
    1946351-sparky1976.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 10 9DEC72.jpg
    10 9DEC72.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 3
  • 870278.jpg
    870278.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 3
  • 3204420-topper+1617+(1984)+pagecover.jpg
    3204420-topper+1617+(1984)+pagecover.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3
Punisher, venom, carnage, and spawn. Read a lot of other stuff too.

I used to collect X-Men comic books as a kid but I never really read any of them. I was more of a collector I guess

Archie Comics double digest they used to sell those books at Walden books in the 80s and 90s I would read those in elementary school
61addd34bb09769107139a281810b678_xl.jpg

Marvel I had Cable series the one from the 90s I enjoyed the Xmen Apocalypse arch, I had a couple of Daredevil comics, spiderman, I liked those 2099 hologram comics of Spiderman and Punisher in the future
Spider-Man-2099-1-Foil-Cover-superior-spider-man-tie-in-amazing-spiderman-310564678931.jpg

Batman vs Superman
I liked the What IF comics though, What If was my favorite as a kid

latest

740407.jpg

897835.jpg

I also was in junior high right when Image Comics was big, I was a huge comic book collector we used to trade them and buy Wizard magazine along with Beckett card guide, I would collect sports cards, comic cards, comicbooks man I miss those days

Comic book shops were around every corner we used to have 4 in my city, they all died out during the late 90s people stopped buying comics.

A couple of Image Comics I owned
61EXz8RgE1L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

220px-Bloodstrike_01.jpg

632885.jpg

latest

799785.jpg

Back