Comic Book Discussion Thread V.17

Ah man, Stan Lee's wife passed away.. Stan is 94 as it is. :(

is this war of jokes and riddles any good?

is this war of jokes and riddles any good?

It started off really good. I have the next two parts right next to me, havent read them but the 1st was so great i picked them up

TATTOOER: What choo want, homes?
CUSTOMER: Go tres logos on me.

20280397_1461351607237430_7002817982154115459_o.jpg

FYI for fans of John carpentar. He has a new on going independant comic series

FINALLOWSKCTalesofScifiSNEAK_Page_02.jpg

Also dont see to many on here talking about Thanos comic written by Jeff Lemire who is on fire right now with his writing. Havent disliked anything hes written

FYI for fans of John carpentar. He has a new on going independant comic series

Also dont see to many on here talking about Thanos comic written by Jeff Lemire who is on fire right now with his writing. Havent disliked anything hes written

Carpenter might be presenting that book but it doesn't look like he's doing anything else.

Lemire is great, Descender and Black Hammer are both really good and I really enjoyed his run on Old Man Logan. New team on OML are too different and it's on the chopping block.

Carpenter might be presenting that book but it doesn't look like he's doing anything else.

Lemire is great, Descender and Black Hammer are both really good and I really enjoyed his run on Old Man Logan. New team on OML are too different and it's on the chopping block.

havent read black hammer but descender yes.

Thanos is great. lots of old characters like the champion and thane has teamed with death to get the phoenix force.

Stay away from Carver: a paris story. Derivative, corny horseshit. Waste of my time

I miss being excited about comic books.

I'm completely out of the loop these days although I will catch up on certain things on the marvel unlimited app.

The Thanos series has been pretty fun so far

THE MIGHTY THOR #337 to #382 by Walt Simonson

- Considered by many to be the greatest run on Thor ever, Walt Simonson's classic tales of the God of Thunder are collected here-completely remastered from the original artwork and newly colored by Steve Oliffe! And there are too many timeless tales to count: The Casket of Ancient Winters! The death of Odin! The origins of Asgard! The sacrifice of the Executioner! Thor as a frog! The Mutant Massacre!

3966.jpg

JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1 to #50 by Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis and various artists

- The best Justice League version ever! Writers Keith Giffen and J. M. DeMatteis destined to shake up not only the Justice League, but the nature of comic books in general. In an era when comics were going for "grim-and-gritty", they decided to opt for jokes and slapstick. Giffen and DeMatteis didn't have access to Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash. Those characters were undergoing editorial renovation. Their solution? Populate the League with second-rank heroes, those guys nobody seemed to really love, like Black Canary, Blue Beetle, Mister Miracle and (later) Captain Atom, Power Girl and others. Giffen and DeMatteis not only rescued these characters from their fates as perpetual walk-on players...they actually endowed each of them with recognizable personalities. They took a bunch of backup heroes and breathed life into them.

Both getting new Omnibus next month since a Thor and Justice League movie are coming out the month after.
61VE1ImH6xL.jpg

COLLECTING: THOR 337-355, 357-369, 371-382; BALDER THE BRAVE 1-4
61eNb769CAL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Collects JUSTICE LEAGUE #1-6, JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #7-25, JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA #26-30, JUSTICE LEAGUE EUROPE #1-6, and JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL ANNUAL #1-3.

Len Wein, Co-creator of Wolverine and Swamp Thing, Passes Away at 69

9Fc5VPe.jpg

en Wein, the best-selling comic book writer and editor who co-created Wolverine and Swamp Thing and edited Watchmen, has passed away. He was 69 years old.

The comics community is beginning to respond on social media after Spider-Man writer Brian Michael Bendis tweeted out a memoriam message.

Wein's first professional comics story was "Eye of the Beholder" in 1968's Teen Titans #18. Wein co-wrote the story with soon-to-be-Titans legend Marv Wolfman, and co-created the male Starfire, later known as Red Star and the son of Constantin Kovar, who appeared on Arrow last season.

Creating characters was something that Wein would do a lot throughout his long comics career. He is best known for two original creations of his that have forever altered the landscape of superhero comics, both of which have had successful screen adaptations: Wolverine was just portrayed in Logan, one of the most critically-acclaimed superhero movies ever made, wrapping a solo trilogy following three X-Men films where he was the de facto main character. The other is Swamp Thing, originally created for DC’s anthology title House of Secrets; Swamp Thing was a key property in the evolution and exposure of Watchmen co-creator Alan Moore as a mainstream, American superhero writer.

In the 1970s, Wein wrote regularly for Marvel Comics, beginning with a one-and-done story in Daredevil #71 co-written with staff writer/editor Roy Thomas.

Wein would eventually succeed Roy Thomas as editor-in-chief of the color-comics line in 1974, but turn the job over to Wolfman a little over a year later and return to writing, with runs on Marvel Team-Up, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, The Mighty Thor and Fantastic Four.

Wein and artist Dave Cockrum revived the X-Men in 1975, creating an army of new characters to populate the book, including Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus, and Thunderbird; this is when Wolverine, created earlier by Wein with artists John Romita Sr. and Herb Trimpe, joined the team. Wein and Cockrum plotted out the next few issues, essentially priming the pump for writer Chris Claremont, who scripted the issues and began a legendary run on the title.

After Wein's relationship with Marvel management soured in the late '70s, Wein went to DC as a writer and eventually editor. He wrote long runs on Batman and Green Lantern, where he first collaborated with Watchmen's Dave Gibbons. He also worked with John Ostrander to co-write the Legends event miniseries, where the modern-era Suicide Squad was introduced.

Besides Watchmen, Wein worked Camelot 3000, The New Teen Titans, Batman and the Outsiders, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and All-Star Squadron as an editor.

Following the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths, Wein wrote the Ted Kord Blue Beetle, as well as providing scripts for the start of George Perez's grounbreaking reinvention of Wonder Woman.

After leaving DC, Wein was editor-in-chief of Disney Comics for three years in the early 1990s.

Next, he headed to TV, serving as a writer and story editor on X-Men, Batman, Spider-Man, Street Fighter, and more. In 2001, he and Wolfman wrote the screenplay "Gene Pool" for the production company Helkon, and later adapted it for a one-shot comic book for IDW Publishing. In September 2004, Wein completed a script for a Swamp Thing feature for Silver Pictures at Warner Bros.. In 2005 and 2006, Wein appeared frequently as a panelist on the Los Angeles theatre version of the TV game show What's My Line, and in 2006, collaborated with writer Kurt Busiek and artist Kelley Jones on the four-issue miniseries Conan: The Book of Thoth for Dark Horse Comics. He has also scripted the comics series The Victorian for Penny-Farthing Press and has written comic-book stories for Bongo Comics' TV-series tie-ins The Simpsons and Futurama.

In the latter part of his comics career, Wein and Wolfman wrote a one-shot titled Gene Pool for IDW, based on an unproduced screenplay the two had developed; he also worked on Conan: The Book of Thoth, The Victorian, The Simpsons, Futurama, and most recently a return to Swamp Thing and a run on Metal Men in the Legends of Tomorrow miniseries.

In recent months, Wein has undergone a number of surgeries, with the final tweet on his official account indicating that he came through surgery, "which went very well," on September 7.

Wein was inducted into the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 2008.

Wolverine and Swamp Thing Co-Creator Len Wein Has Died

Back