Comedian Byron Allen buys the Weather Channel

jefferz

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
The Weather Channel TV network was sold Thursday — to comedian-turned-media-mogul Byron Allen.

Allen’s Entertainment Studios Inc. bought the 36-year-old TV staple from the Blackstone Group, Bain Capital and Comcast.

Terms of the sale were not disclosed, but sources pegged the price at about $300 million.

The network and its digital property — weather.com — were purchased by the trio 10 years ago for $3.5 billion.

The Web properties were sold to IBM in 2015 for $2 billion.

“The Weather Channel is one of the most trusted and extremely important cable networks, with information vitally important to the safety and protection of our lives,” said Allen, who rose to fame as a “Real People” host in 1979. “The acquisition of the Weather Channel is strategic, as we begin our process of investing billions of dollars over the next five years to acquire some of the best media assets around the world.”

Weather Channel Chief Executive Dave Shull said, “Byron Allen’s purchase of our innovative and forward-thinking organization will increase the value we bring to our viewers, distributors and advertisers.”

Founded in 1993 by Allen, Entertainment Studios owns the HD cable networks JusticeCentral.tv, Cars.tv, Pets.tv and Recipe.tv.

The company is also active in the independent film arena with the launch of Entertainment Studios Motion Pictures.

Last year, the 56-year-old executive’s company rang box office receipts of $61.7 million from thriller “47 Meters Down” and receipts of $30.9 million from Western “Hostiles.”

Allen, the sole owner of Entertainment Studios, which has its headquarters in Los Angeles, plans to invest more money into the Weather Channel to expand its US and international distribution.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/22/comedian-byron-allen-buys-the-weather-channel-for-300m/

Not sure whats more shocking, that Byron Allen has 300 million or that the Weather Channel is worth that much money

3.5 Billion in 2008 and worth 300 Mil in 2018.

Weather will be bigger than soccer in ten years.

Not sure whats more shocking, that Byron Allen has 300 million or that the Weather Channel is worth that much money
I knew about Byron Allens wealth a few years ago, I remember some Playboy playmates years ago making fun of him saying what a loser, I think this was on the Howard Stern show, they said I saw him at the playboy mansion ew gross he is a nobody, just a wannabe celeb interviewing move stars for some weak late night show

they were going in on him this was in the early 2000s, and then he got rich a self made billionaire.

Who has the last laugh now? I wonder what those playmates are doing now probably getting plastic surgery trying to hold onto their youth and hoping to land a sucker with money.

same thing happened with Ryan Secrest some girl on blind date was saying what a loser, it was on TV and then he blew up got American idol is is filthy rich I think he is on his way to half a billion.

Prepare for the Weather Channel to show re-runs of Comics Unleashed.

The Weather Channel TV network was sold Thursday — to comedian-turned-media-mogul Byron Allen.

Allen’s Entertainment Studios Inc. bought the 36-year-old TV staple from the Blackstone Group, Bain Capital and Comcast.

Terms of the sale were not disclosed, but sources pegged the price at about $300 million.

The network and its digital property — weather.com — were purchased by the trio 10 years ago for $3.5 billion.

“The Weather Channel is one of the most trusted and extremely important cable networks, with information vitally important to the safety and protection of our lives,” said Allen, who rose to fame as a “Real People” host in 1979. “The acquisition of the Weather Channel is strategic, as we begin our process of investing billions of dollars over the next five years to acquire some of the best media assets around the world.”

Weather Channel Chief Executive Dave Shull said, “Byron Allen’s purchase of our innovative and forward-thinking organization will increase the value we bring to our viewers, distributors and advertisers.”

Founded in 1993 by Allen, Entertainment Studios owns the HD cable networks JusticeCentral.tv, Cars.tv, Pets.tv and Recipe.tv.

The company is also active in the independent film arena with the launch of Entertainment Studios Motion Pictures.

Last year, the 56-year-old executive’s company rang box office receipts of $61.7 million from thriller “47 Meters Down” and receipts of $30.9 million from Western “Hostiles.”

Allen, the sole owner of Entertainment Studios, which has its headquarters in Los Angeles, plans to invest more money into the Weather Channel to expand its US and international distribution.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/22/comedian-byron-allen-buys-the-weather-channel-for-300m/
Lol, GD your avatar is so disturbing.

Lol, GD your avatar is so disturbing.
giphy.gif

Prepare for the Weather Channel to show re-runs of Comics Unleashed.
I wouldn't mind seeing more of Jim Cantore.

So it was bought 10 years for $3.5 billion and then sold for $300 million.

That does not sound like it was a wise investment.

Never heard of ANY of this shit.

These are the same guys that just released Hurricane Heist. It's been out since the ninth and has only made about $6 million on a $35 million budget.

Ironically, I actually had a little phase where I watched The Weather Channel regularly about a year ago.

I remember thinking then that I wasn't sure about the future of the network. With the Internet now it seems like one of those things that people would decide is just kind of redundant.

Best thing I found on there was this show about weather-related legends and lore:

supernatural_1.jpg

I knew about Byron Allens wealth a few years ago, I remember some Playboy playmates years ago making fun of him saying what a loser, I think this was on the Howard Stern show, they said I saw him at the playboy mansion ew gross he is a nobody, just a wannabe celeb interviewing move stars for some weak late night show

they were going in on him this was in the early 2000s, and then he got rich a self made billionaire.

Who has the last laugh now? I wonder what those playmates are doing now probably getting plastic surgery trying to hold onto their youth and hoping to land a sucker with money.

same thing happened with Ryan Secrest some girl on blind date was saying what a loser, it was on TV and then he blew up got American idol is is filthy rich I think he is on his way to half a billion.

How he make that kind of money?

Lol... You would have a weather channel phase dork :)

LOL. It's true.

It didn't last long but I was curious about some of their original programming. That American Supernatural show was pretty cool.

They'd also occasionally have some interesting documentaries about tornadoes and other weather phenomena.

But yeah, I lost interest fairly quickly. I have to wonder what the plan is exactly for this new owner because I really think the channel needs an overhaul if it's going to survive.

Ironically, I actually had a little phase where I watched The Weather Channel regularly about a year ago.

I remember thinking then that I wasn't sure about the future of the network. With the Internet now it seems like one of those things that people would decide is just kind of redundant.

Best thing I found on there was this show about weather-related legends and lore:

supernatural_1.jpg

Yeah the only show I ever watched was Prospectors. I don't know what it has to do with the weather, it seems more about geology than climatology, but it's a good show. They find some great pieces.

85ca2e6b-8376-47e6-ab1b-44d769346fcd_320x180.jpg

Well it's a loss for the original investors who paid 3.5 billion and only received 2.3 billion for the sale of both assets.

Seems you all glanced over the part where the internet assets (aka ur phone app) was sold for 2 billion.

All in All 300 million isn't that bad for a network that has access to nearly every home in america.

I'd reckon the tv portion was valued in the billions less then a decade ago and the internet portion was valued in the millions. Funny how a decade changes the landscape.

Why watch the Weather Channel and wait to see the weather for the area you want when you can just go to NOAA's site and check the weather for anywhere in a couple of minutes.

Back