Comcast outbids Disney for FOX

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
I love this shit. AT and T and Time Warner merger recently. Opened up a lot of things in the mind of many. I thought Disney had FOX in the bag but this is heating up. Netflix is talking shit too. Fun times.

Comcast is going all-in to win 21st Century Fox.
The company on Wednesday formalized a $65 billion all-cash bid for most of Fox. It's a dramatic attempt to thwart Disney, which reached a $52.4 billion deal in December for the same film and TV assets.

Comcast's (CMCSA) move came one day after a federal judge approved AT&T (T)'s $85 billion acquisition of Time Warner (TWX). The Justice Department had sued to stop the deal. (CNN is a unit of Time Warner.)

The Comcast offer sets the stage for a high-stakes bidding war between two of the biggest players in media and telecom. Both Comcast and Disney (DIS) are eager to buy Fox to bolster their positions in a changing industry.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/13/media/comcast-fox-bid/index.html

sidenote on bankers:

Screenshot_20180614-125549.jpg

What a lot of people seem to not realize is that it isn't just about who can pay more, but what it is worth to the companies, ultimately. Disney already has a bunch of very valuable superhero properties and, as such, more isn't as valuable to them as a company that has none. The value is relative. Disney didn't get where it is by paying through the nose for things that aren't worth it for them. This is likely another example of that as Disney (Marvel) has proven its ability to take relatively low value properties and give them immense value. Granted, it's not just about superhero stuff right now, but that's the biggest money maker at the moment...

What a lot of people seem to not realize is that it isn't just about who can pay more, but what it is worth to the companies, ultimately. Disney already has a bunch of very valuable superhero properties and, as such, more isn't as valuable to them as a company that has none. The value is relative. Disney didn't get where it is by paying through the nose for things that aren't worth it for them. This is likely another example of that as Disney (Marvel) has proven its ability to take relatively low value properties and give them immense value. Granted, it's not just about superhero stuff right now, but that's the biggest money maker at the moment...

Yes but FOX would totally solidify their library. Even without FOX they still have a better library than Netflix.

Netflix CEO basically said the other day, "Bring it on." To all of them. lol.

Disney aint not punks. I know that.

Yes but FOX would totally solidify their library. Even without FOX they still have a better library than Netflix.

Netflix CEO basically said the other day, "Bring it on." To all of them. lol.

Do they need to "solidify their library" though? They're sitting on a gold mine of unused properties looking at the potential gold mine on the other hill and saying "Do we really need to work a second mine when we haven't even come close to tapping this one?"

Oddly, with the almost complete failure of DC comics unifying on the screen, this may be the unified alternative/competition within the comic book movie universe. It's good to have that.

Do they need to "solidify their library" though? They're sitting on a gold mine of unused properties looking at the potential gold mine on the other hill and saying "Do we really need to work a second mine when we haven't even come close to tapping this one?"

Oddly, with the almost complete failure of DC comics unifying on the screen, this may be the unified alternative/competition within the comic book movie universe. It's good to have that.

Exactly. They are locked and fuckin loaded to take on Netflix already. I think they were going after one more gun to really drive it home. lol. Netflix needs competition.

Disney movies actually do good but stock has been shit. They own Star Wars too. They own ESPN. Tons of sports broadcasting rights. Which is expensive but they have it.

I predict Netflix will be like AOL in a few years. It will be one channel on a larger network. Netflix is just a bloated HBO

Back