Combinations against a southpaw

ga_ninja

Whopper or Die
@purple
Reaction score
What's are some rules for Orthodox fighters when throwing combinations against a southpaw? I know to keep the lead foot on the outside but what punches should I avoid? Ive been told the left hook is more effective than the right cross against a southie why not make it into a combination.

What's are some rules for Orthodox fighters when throwing combinations against a southpaw? I know to keep the lead foot on the outside but what punches should I avoid? Ive been told the left hook is more effective than the right cross against a southie why not make it into a combination.
Which sport?

If MT, your regular right kick is good against a SP. Slipping to the inside when you throw your cross can really get them compared to an orthodox fighter. Keep in mind, they can do the same to you. Overall, I still throw the same combinations against a SP as I would with an orthodox fighter.

Staying outside their lead foot, and if you take an angle, your lead uppercut is going to be nice.

My favorites:

-Straight to the body + left hook
-Right hand with RHK behind it
-Straight stepping forward into an overhand left.
-Lead uppercut + straight
-Anything right front kick

U need that left hook but yeah u should challenge the orthodox style. Reactive fighters with less of a plan are coming just look at cormier and mcgregor

All good advice. Add to it circle left, left, left and keep your right elbow tucked tight to the body, remember their power leg is your liver side = no bueno. TAnd if you are able to stay outside their lead food, to interrupt their timing you can also use a front leg quick kick to the outside of their lead leg either on entry or on their attempts to come forward. (Not J Jones dick style to the knee but a quick flicking roundhouse style kick) It's not overly powerful but over time can be quite annoying (or so I'm told) :)

It's really a myth that you need to change everything against a southpaw, and the whole keeping the lead foot on the outside thing is vastly overplayed. You can take angles both inside and outside the foot, and use pretty much all the same combinations. Some targets will be a little more or less available, but if you try to treat it as an entirely different fight you'll just make things harder on yourself than they have to be. I have a whole article on this if you want more detail:

http://cagecraft.net/index.php/2017/02/07/how-to-fight-a-southpaw-strategy-guide/

It's really a myth that you need to change everything against a southpaw, and the whole keeping the lead foot on the outside thing is vastly overplayed. You can take angles both inside and outside the foot, and use pretty much all the same combinations. Some targets will be a little more or less available, but if you try to treat it as an entirely different fight you'll just make things harder on yourself than they have to be. I have a whole article on this if you want more detail:

http://cagecraft.net/index.php/2017/02/07/how-to-fight-a-southpaw-strategy-guide/
Off-topic, but since I was coming here to ask you this anyway...

What's up with the password protected head movement article? Is some content behind a paywall? Didn't find anything about that on your site.

What's up with the password protected head movement article? Is some content behind a paywall? Didn't find anything about that on your site.

Nah nothing like that, it just isn't finished yet. I put it up so the guy I'm collaborating with could read it (he's making a companion video), as soon both are ready I'll get rid of the password and post it here.

Nah nothing like that, it just isn't finished yet. I put it up so the guy I'm collaborating with could read it (he's making a companion video), as soon both are ready I'll get rid of the password and post it here.
Gotcha, thanks. Glad you started a blog, your posts here have always been analytical and insightful.

He's hiding nudes

The way an orthodox fights a southpaw is the same way a southpaw fights an orthodox.

The best nudes, believe me.

"These nudes were great, let me tell you, i get the best nudes. Its gona be amazing, just amazing. We're gona have so many nudes you'll get tired of it. I guarantee it"

Last edited:
Boxing :

Double up that right.

Right Straight - left step jab n angle off to your left.

Right straight - left hook

Left hook - jab - right straight.

Double that right to the body n head.

And the grand finale, guaranteed to make his head spin or see birds........TIGER UPPERCUT !!!

Just punch him in the head, brah.
Rules are for pussies.
You a pussy, brah ?
You on Sherdog being a pussy, brah ?

<{cum@me}>

Just punch him in the head, brah.
Rules are for pussies.
You a pussy, brah ?
You on Sherdog being a pussy, brah ?

<{cum@me}>
lol.gif

I'm a southpaw who doesn't particularly like sparring other southpaws. One thing I would say is that there is usually more distance between an open stance match up than closed. I'd say you're best bet is to fake the jab then immediately throw the jab.

Other than that the majority of stuff you usually do should work, it just doesn't work in the same way that you're probably used to. Throw a right body kick, it wont hit the liver like a left will, but once it lands you should be able to get off a free overhand right/right straight. Kaew Fairtex knocked out Minoru Kimura with that method.

I'm a southpaw who doesn't particularly like sparring other southpaws. One thing I would say is that there is usually more distance between an open stance match up than closed. I'd say you're best bet is to fake the jab then immediately throw the jab.

Other than that the majority of stuff you usually do should work, it just doesn't work in the same way that you're probably used to. Throw a right body kick, it wont hit the liver like a left will, but once it lands you should be able to get off a free overhand right/right straight. Kaew Fairtex knocked out Minoru Kimura with that method.
Ducking dat freakshow competition

Back