Combat Sports Grappling Socks -- Anybody?

xkit

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've been doing MT for a few months now and have gotten a lot of ankle collisions lately from my kicks being checked. My ankles are all swollen now so I have to break from sparring. I am wearing Hayabusa MMA shinguards but they don't protect my ankles.

So I'm looking for a ankle protection and I'm reading about CageFeet, and about ankle socks.

CageFeet is to help grip the mat. I'm pretty sure it will fit under my shin guards but doesn't look like it's gonna offer much in the way of padding.

Then I saw "Combat Sports Grappling Socks" -- a "grappling sock and ankle support hybrid". Looks like the best of both worlds -- you get ankle padding and mat grip.

Anybody here have any feedback on these products or any advice for ankle protection for me?

I've been doing MT for a few months now and have gotten a lot of ankle collisions lately from my kicks being checked. My ankles are all swollen now so I have to break from sparring. I am wearing Hayabusa MMA shinguards but they don't protect my ankles.

So I'm looking for a ankle protection and I'm reading about CageFeet, and about ankle socks.

CageFeet is to help grip the mat. I'm pretty sure it will fit under my shin guards but doesn't look like it's gonna offer much in the way of padding.

Then I saw "Combat Sports Grappling Socks" -- a "grappling sock and ankle support hybrid". Looks like the best of both worlds -- you get ankle padding and mat grip.

Anybody here have any feedback on these products or any advice for ankle protection for me?

neither of those really provide much padding for your ankle if that is your main concern. i think you just need better shin guards that have padding all through that area, though i'm surprised the hayabusa's don't work for that. they look like they have padding all the way down.

If you are doing Muay Thai then buy Muay Thai shinguards, don't use MMA ones. they dont have enough padding for the repeated checks that happen in Thai Boxing. Get a popular Thai brand like Twins ( I have these), or Fairtex, Top King. Clamp did a review on some Ring to Cage ones that looked good. KO Fight Gear is another quality company and made in the USA! There are a lot of choices out there just make sure you got the right tool for the job! I can't promise but I bet that will solve your problem. Hope that helps man.

If you are doing Muay Thai then buy Muay Thai shinguards, don't use MMA ones. they dont have enough padding for the repeated checks that happen in Thai Boxing. Get a popular Thai brand like Twins ( I have these), or Fairtex, Top King. Clamp did a review on some Ring to Cage ones that looked good. KO Fight Gear is another quality company and made in the USA! There are a lot of choices out there just make sure you got the right tool for the job! I can't promise but I bet that will solve your problem. Hope that helps man.

I wish I'd read that before.

Yup. That's what it looks like and that's why I bought them. But, it turns out that the ankle padding is kinda nonexistant at the ankle and very thin around that.

Pics here: Hayabusa Official MMA Pro Striking Shin/Instep Guards - Google Search

oh wait, do you have these:
images

or these:
training-gear-protective-gear-shin-instep-ankle-guards-h-hayabusa-fightwear-pro-black.jpg

if its the first one then yeah there's hardly any padding there. the second type at least has some.

oh wait, do you have these:
images
Yeah that's the one I have. I got it after reading a thread on this forum about how the shin padding was thicker. Now I realize that the ankle protection is inadequate.

Is there anything I can do to pad it or modify it, or anything else I can wear? Or do I need to buy new shinguards again? I've used these three or four times, purchased off Amazon Prime.

Yeah that's the one I have. I got it after reading a thread on this forum about how the shin padding was thicker. Now I realize that the ankle protection is inadequate.

Is there anything I can do to pad it or modify it, or anything else I can wear? Or do I need to buy new shinguards again? I've used these three or four times, purchased off Amazon Prime.

If it were me I'd just ebay them and get something else. I thought you had the other model which you can see has padding down through the ankle area. That type of guard is a hybrid and is a pain to take on and off so just be aware of that fact.

Back