Colten Boushie murder trial

I live a couple hours away from where this happened. The acquittal is 100% justified, if everyone involved in this was the same race there would be zero issue. Better yet if This had happened in the US this probably wouldn't have even went to court. Things are pretty tense around here and I'm sure some innocent white guy is going to die before it's all said and done.

The "tolerant" left will make damn sure this farmer and his family's life is a living hell.

The farmer and his family are probably going to have to go into hiding now. It’s not going to be safe for them there anymore. At a minimum they’ll endure unbearable harassment if not death threats going forward.

Wtf is a First Nation people? I don't believe I learned about them in school

anybody with a checking account.

iu

I don't mind the outcome, but poor respect for the firearm. With great power comes great trigger control - Spooderman.

You come onto someones property, drunk with a weapon, trying to steal shit....

They all should have been shot.

anybody with a checking account.

iu

I don't mind the outcome, but poor respect for the firearm. With great power comes great trigger control - Spooderman.
All farmers out here own guns and probably literally all of them. The out come could have been different but these people showed up out there to cause shit, it's not like they came over for coffee .

Oh I entirely agree when a firearms are involved, but by Stanley's own testimony he didn't see the firearm until after he shot Boushie.
It wasn't a shot fired in reaction to a perceived threat, defence was that he reached in with one hand to pull the keys from the ignition, and the gun, which was in his other hand, just went off.

both hands are physiologically sympathetic to each other. You grab something with one hand it doesn't mean you grab with both, but your other hand reacts in subtle or not subtle ways unless you are concentrating on both. Not excusing, just something a responsible gun owner should be aware of.

Verdict was sound. Castle doctrine or not, a man has a right to defend his home from armed invaders.

As a further issue, it seems like the prosecution may have fucked up the case, as there was (in my understanding) no expert evidence on whether a hangfire incident actually could have occurred with the round in question.

There was a lay witness for the defence who testified as to having experienced problems with hangfire, and there was a deformed shell casing, but no experts weighed in.

This is false as far as I recall. They did call an expert who testified that hang fire is extremely rare, and if it does occur, the weapon would usually fire no more than a second after the trigger is pulled.

A further piece of info which I only found mentioned in an old CBC article is that Boushie's bac was 0.3 at the time of his death. 0.3 means you are totally fucked up on the verge of alcohol poisoning.

So 5 people in their early 20s - drunk out of their minds - trespass, try to steal an ATV (they'd tried to steal a truck at another farm before trespassing on Stanley's property) and act in completely erratic and unpredictable fashion. I'm not saying that killing one of them is justified, but this was a horror show of a situation they put Stanley in. I don't believe he acted unreasonably by getting the gun and firing warning shots. I also have a hard time believing the hangfire story, what I could believe though is that the gun was discharged by accident during a struggle as he tried to get the keys. Perhaps they didn't want to tell that story because then the whole thing might become a self-defense case which would mean the defense has to prove that defending himself with a fire arm was reasonable in this context.

I don’t understand the full laws in Canada, logically and sanely it seems the right call was made in no conviction.

5 drunk assholes show up on your property attempting to steal shit and with a gun of their own.

You get a gun yourself for defense, in the course of a small scuffle or inside the vehicle the gun you grabbed misfires (or accidental pull, or even if poor decision intentional fire) tragically someone who put himself into a very dangerous for everyone involved situation gets killed. That’s not your fault and you shouldn’t be sent to prison for it

Stanley testified he didn't see the gun.
This is false as far as I recall. They did call an expert who testified that hang fire is extremely rare, and if it does occur, the weapon would usually fire no more than a second after the trigger is pulled.

Then I stand corrected.

If that’s the case then the verdict was simply wrong, legally speaking. That being the case there’s not really any way to appeal the verdict due to the fact it was a jury trial. In Canadian Law a jury’s decision can only be appealed if it can be demonstrated that the judge made an error in how they instructed the jury. There’s no ability to simply say that the jury made the wrong decision on the facts.

If that’s the case then the verdict was simply wrong, legally speaking. That being the case there’s not really any way to appeal the verdict due to the fact it was a jury trial. In Canadian Law a jury’s decision can only be appealed if it can be demonstrated that the judge made an error in how they instructed the jury. There’s no ability to simply say that the jury made the wrong decision on the facts.
I wish this had established some case law that would allow us to head towards some sort of castle doctrine. Police are great at solving crimes, less so at preventing them.

Verdict was sound. Castle doctrine or not, a man has a right to defend his home from armed invaders.

theft and hooliganry are understandable actions by canadiens, even violence.

pretty sub-par album. Downright bad at parts.

In 1989, it was ranked No. 34 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest albums of the 1980s. In 2003, the album was ranked number 213 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.[16]

But this song is good:

though Waiting on a Friend is a masterpiece.

I always wanted to do a mash-up of "moves like Jaggar" with his ridiculous dancing for the over-rated Start me Up.

I wish this had established some case law that would allow us to head towards some sort of castle doctrine. Police are great at solving crimes, less so at preventing them.

The Supreme Court of Canada has emphatically said we don’t have Castle Doctrine or any equivalent at common-law. Only way we’ll ever get Castle doctrine is if it gets legislated in to the Criminal Code by the House of Commons, which frankly seems very unlikely, unfortunately.

If anything, if we already had Castle doctrine and it was used to acquit in this case I could actually more likely see protesters and politicians like Trudeau calling for an abolition of the doctrine by parliament. I can envision is being called “systemically racist”.

Back