Colten Boushie murder trial

Meh should have been man slaughter imo , it seems to me the guy was reckless .

I grew up near a reserve and never had any problem with the first nations kids I also traveled the west coast while working on fishing boats So I have been on many reserves , there are alot of issues thst our first nations struggle with and they do face alot of racism .

Fucked up situation all the way around

Agreed on manslaughter. As much as I can fall into the trap of wanting to see thieves shot, our legal system values life over property, and rightly so.

I think the biggest downfall of the crowns case is that Colten's accomplices felt the need to lie and change their story too many times.

Agreed on manslaughter. As much as I can fall into the trap of wanting to see thieves shot, our legal system values life over property, and rightly so.

I think the biggest downfall of the crowns case is that Colten's accomplices felt the need to lie and change their story too many times.
Yes , both sides seem to have shitty hard to believe stories

I would like to see the hammer also drop on the accomplices, but I'm sure it won't be "politically viable".

On the other, Stanley's recollection of events and his alleged actions make me hesitant to support his cause, compounded by the fact that he used a restricted firearm; a handgun, which shouldn't matter, but does in Canada, especially Saskatchewan.
and "accidentally" fired it three times

By Canadian law and his own admission should have been manslaughter.

Yes , both sides seem to have shitty hard to believe stories

Yah Stanley's misfire is bogus. I thought the crown did have an firearms expert on the stand but the best he could say it it was very unlikely.

I grew up in the area and have family still there. The rural crime is out of control and most land owners have been on high alert for some time.

My personal opinion is Gerald was wound up, pissed off, and emotion and adrenaline pulled that trigger.

I do not think it is a race issue however, I think a car full of drunk white assholes would have resulted in the same outcome.

I would like to see the hammer also drop on the accomplices, but I'm sure it won't be "politically viable".

I have heard rumors that there was some kind of deal struck in exchange for their cooperation with the crown.

Hell, one of the girls in the SUV had an arrest warrant issued because she didn't show up to trial.

Why does someone need a rifle to steal things?

I think we both know you can't dance around that question. When firearms are brought into the equation it isn't about property anymore.

I’m getting mixed reports about the evidence about the hangfire issue. I thought I read somewhere the Crown’s expert said there was no evidence of it. If that’s the case then at the very least a manslaughter conviction should have been the verdict. However, if neither side aduced any expert on the issue and all there was to go on was the Defendant’s testimony with him saying he didn’t pull the trigger (assuming he testified) than an acquittal isn’t that unreasonable.

At the end of the day this case is good evidence why we should have castle doctrine in Canada. Police cannot respond in a reasonable amount of time to these rural areas. Farmer was justified in defending his home and family. The law needs to change.

Maybe I am a racist, I don’t know. But I don’t feel bad for the deceased. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Why does someone need a rifle to steal things?

I think we both know you can't dance around that question. When firearms are brought into the equation it isn't about property anymore.

Oh I entirely agree when a firearms are involved, but by Stanley's own testimony he didn't see the firearm until after he shot Boushie.
It wasn't a shot fired in reaction to a perceived threat, his defence was that he reached in with one hand to pull the keys from the ignition, and the gun, which was in his other hand, just went off.

The shooting of Colton Boushie took place in Saskatchewan, Canada in August 2016.

By way of background, you should know that there is, right or wrong, nothing remotely like the castle doctrine in Canada.

There is also a lot of racial tensions between whites and First Nations in Canada.

The reserve system is horribly dysfunctional, and indigenous youth make up 80% of the prison population in Saskatchewan, despite being 15% of the total population in the province.

The case has led to a huge social media backlash and has inflamed racial tensions badly. It has been compared to the Rodney King beating in its controversy, to give you some idea.

Anyway, here are a few articles on the subject.

https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article...te-farmer-acquitted-of-killing-indigenous-man

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4520214

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/colten-boushie/article32451940/

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/saskatoon/gerald-stanley-trial-lawyer-defence-case-1.4519655

The facts of the case are as follows, as they came out at trial. You can read the articles for more detail, but this is my hot take:

Boushie and an SUV full of his friends (5 in total), all of whom were from a nearby reserve, had been drinking and swimming all day. They were all between 17 and 24. The evidence is that they were really drunk; one of the witnesses testified to having 30 shots that day.

Their SUV blew a tire. They went onto a farm and tried to steal a car with a rifle they had in the vehicle, but were unable to break the window.

They then came onto the Gerald Stanley farm. Boushie's friends testifued they were there to ask for help with the flat tire.

Stanley and his son, who owned the farm in question, allege they tried to break into a vehicle on the property and to steal an atv. A witness from the SUV testified that he tried to start the ATV, but denied any intent to steal it.

Things escalated pretty quickly from there. The SUV hit a vehicle on the property. Stanley's son cracked the windshield of the SUV with a hammer.

Stanley at some point got a handgun from inside, fired a couple warning shots, and approached the SUV. His version of events is he reached inside, tried to take the keys from the ignition, when the pistol fired unexpectedly. There is some evidence of hangfire. Boushie was shot in the back of the head.

None of the parties had any prior history.

One big issue was that the jury was all white.

Anyway, the jury acquitted, and the backlash has been huge. Politicians have weighed in and everything.

Thoughts Sherdog?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I’m getting mixed reports about the evidence about the hangfire issue. I thought I read somewhere the Crown’s expert said there was no evidence of it. If that’s the case then at the very least a manslaughter conviction should have been the verdict. However, if neither side aduced any expert on the issue and all there was to go on was the Defendant’s testimony with him saying he didn’t pull the trigger (assuming he testified) than an acquittal isn’t that unreasonable.

At the end of the day this case is good evidence why we should have castle doctrine in Canada. Police cannot respond in a reasonable amount of time to these rural areas. Farmer was justified in defending his home and family. The law needs to change.

Maybe I am a racist, I don’t know. But I don’t feel bad for the deceased. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I see what you are saying but I feel the farmers had stayed inside , fired a warning shot and yelled the police are on their way this would have ended much differently.

As far as castle doctrine I think if someone has entered your home you should be able to get medieval on them but not just because they are on your property

Oh I entirely agree when a firearms are involved, but by Stanley's own testimony he didn't see the firearm until after he shot Boushie.
It wasn't a shot fired in reaction to a perceived threat, his defence was that he reached in with one hand to pull the keys from the ignition, and the gun, which was in his other hand, just went off.
See I don't get this , if he is reaching into get the keys( which is monumentally stupid ) where is his other hand , the one I assume is holding the gun ?

Last edited:
See I don't get this , if he is reaching into get ( which is monumentally stupid ) where is his other hand , the one I assume is holding the gun ?

Yah, and keep in mind it was an SUV, not a Honda Civic. He would have been at eye level with boushie, not looking and reaching down into the vehicle.

If the gun was in his right hand he would have his arm raised while reaching in, pointing it right at the guys head. If it was in his left it would have to be in some fucked up cross body Jason Statham move.

Trudeau is a fucking idiot. He has no idea what went on in the court room, but he sides with the First Nations guy in order to virtue signal. Trudeau has no right to undermine the justice system. Fuck Trudeau.

If it were the same situation, but the races were reversed, then Trudeau would be praising the First Nations guy for being courageous. First Nations people are always the victims no matter what they do.

I think it's fine for everyday people to speculate on, but assuming TS posted accurate details, it seems the issue is tricky at best. Trudeau's comments remind me of Obama's first instinct to take the side of Mike Brown and Trump's instinct(does he even have these?) to shit on everything he disagrees with, regardless of circumstance.

I see what you are saying but I feel the farmers had stayed inside , fired a warning shot and yelled the police are on their way this would have ended much differently.

As far as castle doctrine I think if someone has entered your home you should be able to get medieval on them but not just because they are on your property

Not being American my knowledge of castle doctrine is fairly limited, but my understanding is that it’s property generally, not just inside a home.

Lol good. Fucker deserved it, hope it was right between those sorry ass eyes. No open casket for that boy and his fam. I personally believe anyone that comes on your property to steal should face death.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Exactly I feel no sympathy for him or his family, they clearly failed their boy somewhere along the way. World is better off with one less stupid person like that anyway.

Don't be daft , what a load of " poor white me " playing the victim horse shit

Grow a pair

What does criticizing Canada's ridiculous "self-defense" laws have to do with white victimhood?

I live a couple hours away from where this happened. The acquittal is 100% justified, if everyone involved in this was the same race there would be zero issue. Better yet if This had happened in the US this probably wouldn't have even went to court. Things are pretty tense around here and I'm sure some innocent white guy is going to die before it's all said and done.

Back