Colt vs S&W for AR Patrol Rifle

Gunshow74

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've decided to purchase an AR to use as my personal patrol rifle instead of using the old beat up Colts my department uses. We are limited to a choice between two brands: Colt and Smith & Wesson. I think this is because our rangemasters are all certified Colt and S&W armorers.

After shopping around online I've noticed that Colt ARs are generally more expensive than S&W ARs. I know that they're both reputable companies, so is this price premium worth it? I'm also concerned with the financial health of Colt since they filed for bankruptcy not too long ago.

Also, are there any specific model(s) you would recommend? The only accessories I'm planning to add are a weapons light, BUIS, an Aimpoint PRO, and maybe a magnifier sometime down the road. So right now I'm leaning towards getting one with Magpul furniture. I like the versatility of something with a quad rail, but I think that may be a little bit of overkill for the attachments I'll be adding.

So anyway, I'd like to know what my fellow Sherbros think.

I would suggest this one:
http://www.colt.com/Portals/0/Specs/2016/LE6920-OEM2.pdf

You'd have to pay a little more to get the rail, buttstock and such yourself but then you can get whatever you want to load it up with and even save weight by grabbing a lightweight keymod or M-Lok style rail.

The thing about the Colt Magpul edition that I personally am not a huge fan of is the front site is the A frame style that doesn't flip down and is always up.

As to whether a quad rail is overkill, you can always run the gun like this:

This guy is running the gun with essentially similar things to what you would want.

As to whether a quad rail is overkill, you can always run the gun like this:

This guy is running the gun with essentially similar things to what you would want.

Gregolian, thanks for your reply. That looks like a really cool setup. I guess my only question would be how hot the gun gets when run hard or left out baking in the sun. I've only shot M-16s and ARs with plastic handguards.

Gregolian, thanks for your reply. That looks like a really cool setup. I guess my only question would be how hot the gun gets when run hard or left out baking in the sun. I've only shot M-16s and ARs with plastic handguards.
What do you mean by "run hard" I guess I would ask.

Leave anything metallic out in the sun for a long time it'll get hot.

What do you mean by "run hard" I guess I would ask.

Leave anything metallic out in the sun for a long time it'll get hot.
How hot would the metal rail/handguards get when doing a lot of rapid fire shooting at the range? I've burned myself touching hot gun parts and brass far more often than I'd like.

How hot would the metal rail/handguards get when doing a lot of rapid fire shooting at the range? I've burned myself touching hot gun parts and brass far more often than I'd like.
I would say as long as you are not grabbing the rail near the gas block (which I have done before) it'll be warm but not hot. I've ran like 200 rounds through my current one in about 20 minutes time or some such thing and the only hot area was near the gas block.

Colt.

Colt just came out with this as well if you're interested.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/Colt-Combat-Unit-Carbine

img_7065.jpg

LE6960-CCU_700w.png

The Colt Combat Unit carbine was developed with the help of legendary trainers Mike Pannone, Ken Hackathorn, and Daryl Holland. It features a Magpul SL buttstock and pistol grip as well as a MOE trigger guard. The carbine is the first to feature Colt’s new mid-length gas system. It has a low profile gas block which allows for the use of its M-LOK capable Centurion CMR free floated forend.

Thanks for your reply. That looks like it has everything I want before adding any attachments. I did notice though that it has a lightweight profile barrel. Do you think it would be able to stand up to patrol duty use or range days with lots of rapid fire shooting for extended periods of time?

Thinner the barrel the quicker it heats up but the faster it cools, thicker the barrel the longer it takes to heat up, slower to cool.

It's a trade off. I would rather carry something lighter. At range days just don't get your barrel so hot you can brand cattle. Thin or thick it will heat up. It should be fine.

@Protectandserve ^ is a leo and it sounds like this would be his choice as well.

If I had to buy my duty rifle this is what I would buy.

I'd add Knight's Armament BUIS, a 1.5 power ACOG and a TLR1 Streamlight to it.

I've always wanted to mess with the lower magnification acogs, for some reason I've never come across them or payed attention to remember to check them out.

We tested a ton of stuff when we added optics to our patrol rifles in the cars.

Those of us on the committee went with the 1.5 ACOG. No battery, no need to turn it on and it's great glass.

I think our criteria was ease of use, no magnification and could be used with or without front sight cowitness.

We tested the Aimpoint PRO, Micro, EOTECH 512 or 513 and the ACOG.

We settled on the ACOG overwhelmingly. Only argument was green vs red reticle. We ended up with red.

I had a normal ACOG when I deployed with the Army but would never put that on a police rifle for use in the city. Maybe if i was in the boonies or a highway trooper.

This was the same testing process that switched us to the M&P 9 for our duty gun.

So now we have patrol rifles that have 1.5 power ACOG optics, and Streamlight TLR1 and a double 20 round PMag.

We tested a ton of stuff when we added optics to our patrol rifles in the cars.

Those of us on the committee went with the 1.5 ACOG. No battery, no need to turn it on and it's great glass.

I think our criteria was ease of use, no magnification and could be used with or without front sight cowitness.

We tested the Aimpoint PRO, Micro, EOTECH 512 or 513 and the ACOG.

We settled on the ACOG overwhelmingly. Only argument was green vs red reticle. We ended up with red.

I had a normal ACOG when I deployed with the Army but would never put that on a police rifle for use in the city. Maybe if i was in the boonies or a highway trooper.

This was the same testing process that switched us to the M&P 9 for our duty gun.

So now we have patrol rifles that have 1.5 power ACOG optics, and Streamlight TLR1 and a double 20 round PMag.

The 1.5x24 or 16s?

No. Its not. Not even.

I'll disagree.

Colt has better parts. Their Lpk is regarded as the best along side Knights Armament(from what I've read, including from venderors on forums ranking them above their own lpk). Their bcg is also widely regarded for durability/reliability. Their barrels(some) are very good as well.

Here is an accuracy review of a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel. Sub moa 10 shot groups.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?59364-The-Colt-M4A1-SOCOM-Barrel

I'm not sure how all of their barrels are but if TS got a SOCOM barrel it will be durable and accurate. So depending on model he got and the fact it will be an actual patrol rifle I'd say it's worth it.

Could be. Could be. Could be splitting hairs. If those two are considered the top tier ARs, I just don't see how it would make that much difference beyond the money spent.

I'm too lazy to look up the cost differences, but if its in the $100s you can use the difference for more ammo, or sights or other accoutrements for the S&W.

I've shot DPMS, Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River, STAG! $70 lower (Ha!) Wilson, and some other Brand X shit and they all did the same.

I feel a Krieger barrel will consistently out shoot a Wilson, but most all of the Wilson Blanks rebranded as whatever shoot pretty damned good, for half the cost. I only have one Kriegerd AR now, all the rest are Wilsons.

Nowadays I don't feel its that difficult to get a AR (any AR) that can't do what every other AR can do. They're all pieces n parts. Get a shit part in one, chunk it for another. Much like Stereo Equipment, put the money where it counts, barrel, trigger, sights, rest is comfort and cosmetic.

The only one I ever saw, other than Brand X parts from the 80s, that was shitty was an Olympic branded AR that the Quality Control was shit.

Course I'm being cheap here, but I never saw a CNC, or super custom forged this that and the other AR that I thought performed so much better than the cast stuff that I ever thought it was worth it.

They're just ARs.

I'll disagree.

Colt has better parts. Their Lpk is regarded as the best along side Knights Armament(from what I've read, including from venderors on forums ranking them above their own lpk). Their bcg is also widely regarded for durability/reliability. Their barrels(some) are very good as well.

Here is an accuracy review of a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel. Sub moa 10 shot groups.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?59364-The-Colt-M4A1-SOCOM-Barrel

I'm not sure how all of their barrels are but if TS got a SOCOM barrel it will be durable and accurate. So depending on model he got and the fact it will be an actual patrol rifle I'd say it's worth it.

I made a point of putting a Colt SOCOM 14.5" barrel on one of my builds. Will be the next gun I take to the range to sight in. Might have been $220 tops, including having a YHM flash hider pinned to it. From what I've read they seem to have top-notch accuracy without paying a top-end price.

I made a point of putting a Colt SOCOM 14.5" barrel on one of my builds. Will be the next gun I take to the range to sight in. Might have been $220 tops, including having a YHM flash hider pinned to it. From what I've read they seem to have top-notch accuracy without paying a top-end price.

That's a good price, I've seen them for $300ish.

Back