Cole Konrad is only 33

ZafroTexas

Sideburns Sodamizer
@Green
Reaction score
I knew he retired but he's still pretty young for the heavyweight division. Does anybody know why he doesn't wanna come back

Cole Konrad ain't walking through that door people.

Time to class him in that Phillip Miller file.

Konrad decided MMA isn't his calling. If a guy makes that decision as an undefeated champion having just won a 100K tournament in his first 10 fights...it must be a pretty firm decision and it's been long enough to put "he just wanted out of his Bellator obligations to go elsewhere" theory to bed.

If a guy can make a good living outside the rollercoaster of MMA..I bet even most veteran MMA fighters still needing that next payday will encourage that

A rare case of a guy calling it quits while being successful. Good for him. And props to the above Phillip Miller mention. Retiring at 16-0.

I think Konrad is now into selling farm commodities. Probably makes decent money and doesn't get punched in the face.

Because he has a way to feed his family without suffering brain damage.

Not all that complex.

I think being friends with Lesnar probably indirectly lead to him quitting too. Like the Diaz brothers after Gilbert Melendez got his massive payday and they were there for the ride. Its hard to fight for comparative peanuts when you are arguably just as good. Plus his new line of work pays pretty good normally
-------------------

For Cole Konrad, there is no living in the past. The Bellator heavyweight championship belt that he once won and proudly wore now sits collecting dust on a bookshelf in his basement. It is one of few remaining reminders of his past life, including only one single photo of him from his fighting days. In it, he stands alongside friend and former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and coach Erik Paulson. At the time, both Konrad and Lesnar were on top of their respective promotions, and the duo had just finished a practice that ended with them putting on their belts and horsing around. It is still Konrad's favorite memory from his days as a pro fighter, which ended last fall.

Konrad's retirement came as a surprise to the sport's observers and his promotion. When he called it quits, he was just 28 years old, had an undefeated record and a world of potential in front of him. Yet he swapped it not for some other glamorous role, but to trade agricultural commodities

I don't miss him grinding his massive chesticles into other dudes faces from full guard. It was forcible motorboating, and it was sweaty, embarassing, and anti-climactic.

He's never coming back, I've accepted it.

But damn, one of the big all time MMA "what if's"

His last sighting was around this time last year traning ufc with Bork Lazer. Konrad looks far from 265, he's not coming back.
polar.jpg

He probably makes more money doing what he does now than 97% of MMA fighters. As a fan, I'd want to see him come back, but there's really no reason for him to do it. I'm glad that he made the sensible decision to retire on his own terms as so many fighter don't.

Back